Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What if you could travel the world...For free? Watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Imagine you could plan your dream gap year... You've got £30,000 to spend. :zomg:

Where would you go? Would you go backpacker-style and make it last a full year? Or blow all the cash on a couple of months in absolute luxury? :beard:

Personally, I'd go on a mission to have as many 'experiences' as possible. I want to work a vineyard in France, walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain, see the Aurora Borealis in Iceland, spend two weeks seeing musicals on Broadway, live in Vietnam and learn to kite surf, get my PADI dive cert in The Philippines, go snowboarding in Japan and, dive with sharks, live on a catamaran, and spend a month studying acrobatics (just to list a few). :woo:

Oh my gosh. I'm jumping out of my skin just thinking about it. :excited:

So what's your fantasy gap year? Take £30,000 and plan out your itinerary.

The best bit is, this could be your real life. Yep. Seriously. It's happening. Someone is actually going to win £30,000. :vroam:

ReputationRep:
    I'd find you

ReputationRep:
    I've got a friend in Japan who I'm dying to go and meet, and I've been learning the language for about a year now. My dream is to cycle from Cape Sata to Cape Soya with one of my sixth form friends. Said friend's grandma used to teach English gardening over there, and apparently has some contacts we can stay with along the way! My dad's company also has ties to a company in Tokyo, so it'd be pretty cool to go there and meet everyone.
    I think I'd definitely take the £30k for traveling Japan (maybe head to New York if there's money left over haha) over graduating loan free...the memories would be worth so much more
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I would see the northern lights in Iceland (like you) and spend a few months in Thailand just being there and exploring the beaches (like the ones at Phuket :mmm: ) and islands. I would see the Grand Palace and see some elephants
    I would love to explore the world generally though - just to take photos of everything firsthand!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlinkyBill)
    Imagine you could plan your dream gap year... You've got £30,000 to spend. :zomg:

Where would you go? Would you go backpacker-style and make it last a full year? Or blow all the cash on a couple of months in absolute luxury? :beard:

Personally, I'd go on a mission to have as many 'experiences' as possible. I want to work a vineyard in France, walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain, see the Aurora Borealis in Iceland, spend two weeks seeing musicals on Broadway, live in Vietnam and learn to kite surf, get my PADI dive cert in The Philippines, go snowboarding in Japan and, dive with sharks, live on a catamaran, and spend a month studying acrobatics (just to list a few). :woo:

The best bit is, this could be your real life. Yep. Seriously. It's happening. Someone is actually going to win £30,000. :vroam:
    Much rather go on holiday to the countryside and then save the rest up for a house deposit.

Fun is overrated.

ReputationRep:

It could be anyone's fantasy year(s). This is assuming you can write decently in English, Yank, or another common language. Write travel books on the road!! Bingo - income & travel at the same time. Try working for something like "Globetrekker.com" or another travel org. There are dozens of them, and you don't have to write like Shakespeare either (based upon my reading of typical offerings. Best of luck!

It could be anyone's fantasy year(s). This is assuming you can write decently in English, Yank, or another common language. Write travel books on the road!! Bingo - income & travel at the same time. Try working for something like "Globetrekker.com" or another travel org. There are dozens of them, and you don't have to write like Shakespeare either (based upon my reading of typical offerings. Best of luck!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to go see the Northern Lights in Iceland, go scuba diving in Australia, visit Dubai, visit Taiwan, travel to Africa, backpack across Northern Europe, trek through the Amazon rainforest, paddle the thousand lakes in Finland

ReputationRep:
    I'd travel all across South America and Asia (I've never been), but I'd also love to go and do charity work in poor areas of Africa (which I would use the money for)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    India, Bangladesh, Nepal, maybe Thailand.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'd actually pay money to NOT go to half the sh*tholes around the world. Especially India.

ReputationRep:

Oh, I understand your feelings so well, really nice topic! I adore travelling too, however because of the lack of money I had several trips only in different places of my native country But if I had such opportunity, I would definetely do the same as you, I mean as many experiences as possible! My wishlist includes seeing beautiful nature in Norway, Denmark and Iceland, amazing architecture of Italy, France and Great Britain, art masterpieces in France (also tasting their famous wine), enjoying with beaches in Spain... Also visiting such Asian countries as China and Japan, I have a great interest for these countries for a long time And I'm also that strange person who dreams to visit Antarctica some day, I know that there are special cruises there
    However because of money I'm not sure about all these plans in my real life, the only thing which is easy for me is watching live Broadway shows (that's why I didn't include them in my wishlist). Can't do this too often too because the tickets in this case aren't cheap too but not so long ago I finally watched famous "Hamilton", it's on stage again https://hamiltontickets.org/ and it was an amazing experience!
    And what about you, have you seen any Broadway show yet? Or is it only a dream at the current moment?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't cuz america is number one
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeonSun)
    Oh, I understand your feelings so well, really nice topic! I adore travelling too, however because of the lack of money I had several trips only in different places of my native country But if I had such opportunity, I would definetely do the same as you, I mean as many experiences as possible! My wishlist includes seeing beautiful nature in Norway, Denmark and Iceland, amazing architecture of Italy, France and Great Britain, art masterpieces in France (also tasting their famous wine), enjoying with beaches in Spain... Also visiting such Asian countries as China and Japan, I have a great interest for these countries for a long time And I'm also that strange person who dreams to visit Antarctica some day, I know that there are special cruises there
    However because of money I'm not sure about all these plans in my real life, the only thing which is easy for me is watching live Broadway shows (that's why I didn't include them in my wishlist). Can't do this too often too because the tickets in this case aren't cheap too but not so long ago I finally watched famous "Hamilton", it's on stage again https://hamiltontickets.org/ and it was an amazing experience!
    And what about you, have you seen any Broadway show yet? Or is it only a dream at the current moment?
    Oh. My. Gosh. That's awesome you can get to Broadway! I really want to see Hamilton, not sure if it'll happen any time soon though. I've not seen any shows on Broadway yet (haven't even been to New York - but it's on the list!). But I only live about an hour away from the West End in London, so I try and get there as often as possible.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    I'd find you

(Original post by brrrigid)
    I've got a friend in Japan who I'm dying to go and meet, and I've been learning the language for about a year now. My dream is to cycle from Cape Sata to Cape Soya with one of my sixth form friends. Said friend's grandma used to teach English gardening over there, and apparently has some contacts we can stay with along the way! My dad's company also has ties to a company in Tokyo, so it'd be pretty cool to go there and meet everyone.
    I think I'd definitely take the £30k for traveling Japan (maybe head to New York if there's money left over haha) over graduating loan free...the memories would be worth so much more
    A cycling holiday!? That's genius!

Also, how good is Japanese? I learned it for a while in high school, but never progressed super far, especially in writing. The lovely miser knows a lot about it though.

ReputationRep:
    Travel around Europe maybe!
    or Brazil

ReputationRep:
    I would go to New Zealand. I've always wanted to go there and explore the beautiful cities and coastline as well as experiencing some amazing things such as zip lining and skydiving!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    My bucket list is to work/experience every Disney park and to give kids the joy Disney still gives me. Therefore my perfect gap year would be to work in a Disney resort, while visiting all the others xx
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brrrigid)
    My dream is to cycle from Cape Sata to Cape Soya with one of my sixth form friends.
    Have you by any chance read The Roads to Sata?

ReputationRep:
    My bucket list is to work in and experience all the Disney resorts, to give other kids the joy I still experience. Therefore I would spend my year going to all of the Disney Resorts in the most childish way possible x

ReputationRep:

For me, I'd probably stay one of my family's flats in China (To save as much money to do other amazing things) and maybe work at my Aunts or Uncle's telecommunication companies (They each work in rival companies AHAHAHA) and then afterwards travel around China to sample each province's cuisines. After that, I really want to go to Japan, travelling the country (To learn Japan's rich culture and history) and staying at capsule hotels on the way. Whilst I'm there I'd love to see Chris Broad from Chris abroad and Natsuki for a meal in an Izakaya Oh, and to also see the Cherry Blossoms- my namesake
    I am half Chinese and I can speak Sichuanese, my mandarin is not that strong, so I'd love to practise that
    Oddly enough, even though I am half Chinese, I am desperate to learn how to speak Japanese, so I'd utilise some of the money for 1-2-1 video tutoring and some 1-2-1 lessons whilst being in Japan

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.