Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What if you could travel the world...For free? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to backpack around the world and also want to volunteer in africa at an orthanage and then maybe with animals too but i would struggle to do everything i want to do and see in only 1 year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlinkyBill)
    Imagine you could plan your dream gap year... You've got £30,000 to spend. :zomg:

Where would you go? Would you go backpacker-style and make it last a full year? Or blow all the cash on a couple of months in absolute luxury? :beard:

Personally, I'd go on a mission to have as many 'experiences' as possible. I want to work a vineyard in France, walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain, see the Aurora Borealis in Iceland, spend two weeks seeing musicals on Broadway, live in Vietnam and learn to kite surf, get my PADI dive cert in The Philippines, go snowboarding in Japan and, dive with sharks, live on a catamaran, and spend a month studying acrobatics (just to list a few). :woo:

Oh my gosh. I'm jumping out of my skin just thinking about it. :excited:

So what's your fantasy gap year? Take £30,000 and plan out your itinerary.

The best bit is, this could be your
    real life. Yep. Seriously. It's happening. Someone is actually going to win £30,000. :vroam:
    I think I would go to Japan and buy loads of anime stuff because I love anime. And I would love to go to New York as well 🤷🏼*♀️🤷🏼*♀️ I wouldn’t spend half my time in America and then I’m japan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlinkyBill)
    Imagine you could plan your dream gap year... You've got £30,000 to spend. :zomg:

Where would you go? Would you go backpacker-style and make it last a full year? Or blow all the cash on a couple of months in absolute luxury? :beard:

Personally, I'd go on a mission to have as many 'experiences' as possible. I want to work a vineyard in France, walk the Camino de Santiago in Spain, see the Aurora Borealis in Iceland, spend two weeks seeing musicals on Broadway, live in Vietnam and learn to kite surf, get my PADI dive cert in The Philippines, go snowboarding in Japan and, dive with sharks, live on a catamaran, and spend a month studying acrobatics (just to list a few). :woo:

Oh my gosh. I'm jumping out of my skin just thinking about it. :excited:

So what's your fantasy gap year? Take £30,000 and plan out your itinerary.

The best bit is, this could be your real life. Yep. Seriously. It's happening. Someone is actually going to win £30,000. :vroam:
    wait wtf this offer sounds way too good to be true...can anyone actually confirm if this is legit?

Honestly, if I had £30,000 I don't know what I would do - that sort of money makes me uncomfortable af lmao

ReputationRep:
    I'd really like to travel around New Zealand for a month or two to explore the landscape and wildlife. Possibly do some wildlife conservation work with kiwis. I'd then like to go to the Galapagos Islands, Costa Rica and Hawaii. Getting a PADI advanced open water qualification would be cool as well. Then I'd go to Iceland or Norway to see the Northern lights. And then I would love to do some conservation work somewhere with sea turtles or elephants. But all of this is unlikely to ever happen...

ReputationRep:
    First I'd probably split the money and give some to my mum and my grandparents to thank them for a lifetime of great care and support, as money is pretty tight at the moment after my parents split up a few weeks ago. Then I would plan out a year long trip, because why not?! I'd buy myself the best camera out there before I go obviously! I really want to go to Japan, south Korea and China to learn more about their country and culture, hopefully learn a bit of all 3 languages while I'm there and then have 4 months in each country ❤ it's on my bucket list and it's everything I've ever dreamt of. It would literally be a dream come true to travel first or business class to Asia and meet as many kpop, musicians, YouTubers, idols, celebrities, legends etc... And, of course go sightseeing at the Tokyo tower, great wall of China and go to see the border between north and south Korea. I really want to see banymetal, black pink, BTS while I'm out there and hopefully start building a life. Or gain life experience 😂😂 but I know there are tons of people who want the same thing as much if not more than I do, but it would be a huge turnaround from the life I've had so far with emotional difficulties, panic attacks, social anxiety and stress from not knowing what I want in life.So hopefully this will be a huge help to get me to where I'm destined to be

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather go backpacker style and have the opportunity to visit many different places and truly experience cultures from around the world I'd love to visit at least one French-speaking country (Maybe France or Morocco) to improve my French, and would maybe stay with a host-family to get a real feel for life there. I'd also love to see more of Asia - maybe India, perhaps volunteer in an elephant orphanage where I could make a difference, as I'm very passionate about animals. For me personally, the main aim of the trip would be to learn more about different lifestyles and cultures, perhaps learn a new language, try new foods, and visit amazing landscapes

ReputationRep:
    planes would crush doesn't it happen these days?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I would walk the entire length of South America, from Tierra Del Fuego in Chile to the Darien Gap in Colombia.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe i'm boring but that £30,000 would let me live my dream of travelling across Europe in order to see history all over from Lisbon to Moscow and back again! European historical monuments and museums, especially visit battlefields like Waterloo, Poltava and Vienna but also the historical architecture just astounds me. The mind boggles when you realise just how AMAZING the Colosseum for example really is for its time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    Much rather go on holiday to the countryside and then save the rest up for a house deposit.

Fun is overrated.
    Richard Ayoade on BBC's Room 101:
    "What would you want to put in Room 101?"
    "Fun."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysmile)
    I'd love to go see the Northern Lights in Iceland, go scuba diving in Australia, visit Dubai, visit Taiwan, travel to Africa, backpack across Northern Europe, trek through the Amazon rainforest, paddle the thousand lakes in Finland
    Sounds nice

ReputationRep:
    Backpack through europe to eastern europe, spend long time with cheap booze, then fly to Japan for a different experience altogether. Any time spare might pop to 'murica just 'cause being British there can't go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Id love to travel all of asia (west, central, east, north, south...)

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I'm not from the U.K. or live in Europe I would to go backpacking through Europe. I really want to visit beautiful seaside cities like St. Tropez or go swimming off the coast of Italy. The water is heavenly looking! Maybe a bit cliche and visit places like Paris just for sights and atmosphere! But I would also love to visit the English countryside and get away from the busy city life. I live for the small little things in life ♡
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    my dream gap yer would be to travel the world and look at the walking deads main places to record ... settings etc
    #TWD4LIFE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james813)
    I would walk the entire length of South America, from Tierra Del Fuego in Chile to the Darien Gap in Colombia.
    That's an interesting idea in principle. However, i've read a couple of books by people that tried riding a motorbike around the perimeter of South America. The idea was to go down one coast, and up the other. I cannot recall the title, but i got it off of Amazon. One of the guys said that he was captured by some guerrillas at a home-made roadblock on the way south, and held for ransom. Apparently there were several other hostages being held by the same group. The thugs apparently had high hopes, as they started off around $1 mill USD as i recall. This guy was a typical student - pennyless - so good luck. After a few months of captivity, he managed to escape. He lost his bike, but according to him, it was worn out anyway - after riding it all over the US. As i recall, he bought a new (used) bike, shipped it to the other coast (about halfway down) and continued on.

I'm in a group that tries to recruit US, Uk, and other nationals to retire in central/south america. It's called "International Living.com". I subscribed to their magazine a couple of years ago. According to articles in it, a couple can live very comfortably [and get a residence permit easily], if they have a combined income of $1500 USD a month. One thing that bothered me, is that in nearly all the real estate [estate agent] adverts, along with the property description, they usually slip in a phrase - such as "located in an upscale gated community". I am adverse to this, as it usually means the area is policed by people that get irate if they see you working on your own car in the driveway [which i love to do], or climbing ladders to work on your roof [which i like to do also]. I also wondered why they would bear the expense of guards and perimeter security. A fellow i am acquainted with at a cybercafe' that i frequent, told me he was from Honduras. I asked about the 'gated community' bit. He said that undoubtedly they need it. He said that at night, in Honduras, nearly everyone driving around has at least one gun in the car. They do this because they NEED IT.

Now i am a NRA member, and have a CCP [concealed carry permit]. I only occasionally carry, and i can truthfully say that i have NEVER felt that i was at risk, and needed my weapon at hand. I recognize that this can change in a heartbeat, but in the areas i frequent, it has never happened. Recognize that in the US, nearly all homicides occur in 'inner city' areas. Also, more than 70%+ of the homicide 'victims' have at least one previous felony conviction. This is because most of them are 'gang-bangers', using guns smuggled in by various gangs [like MS-13, the bloods & crips]. The burglary rate in the US is very low. I'm 70+, i've lived in the US most of my life, and i don't know anyone who has been burgled. I was burgled only once, and it was kids looking for cash - who passed up a bunch of expensive goods [2 Nikon cameras + 8 lenses], and only messed up the house a little bit. That is not to say that an 'armed home invasion' could not happen, but it's rare in northern america. I don't think the same can be said of central and south america. You and i have the additional handicap of being immediately labeled 'rich foreigners'. I guess if you subsist on 2 quid a day, nearly anyone from outside your country falls into that category.

I ran around europe [northern - Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden] in the early 1970s. I got a rental car & drove all over the place - even picked up hitch-hikers. Today, i don't think i'd do that. Too risky! Central/South america appears to me [having talked to a number of latinos that i encounter at the cybercafe' more risky. I speak a little Spanish, so even if their "pseudo-yank" is limited, i can still communicate with them a bit. A number of them told me that they emigrated to north america [many of them are illegals], because they felt their families were not safe in their home countries. Take care & happy trails.

ReputationRep:
    That 30k could be stretched to five years with careful planning!
    Then I’d take myself of somewhere hot, kindle in hand and plonk myself on the nearest sun lounger
    That is all the adventure I need!

ReputationRep:
    I'd cycle around the world with a bike and tent and document my travels in a moleskin journal to make some romantic tales about my day-to-day excursions. Peter Gostelow did something like this and to travel to 80 countries I'd only need £8000.

I personally favour the "shithole" (as a poster described) so I'd love the opportunity to visit India, Iran, Iraq, Turkmenistan, Papa New Guinea etc The danger just makes it more it more intriguing for an intrepid adventurer like myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james813)
    Have a look at:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-5088977/World-s-dangerous-countries-revealed.html

This re-enforces what i have been told about central/south america. Take care!! It's a dangerous world out there. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabbit2)
    Have a look at:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-5088977/World-s-dangerous-countries-revealed.html

This re-enforces what i have been told about central/south america. Take care!! It's a dangerous world out there. Cheers.
    Thanks for the posts. Of course there are risks, and I wouldn't like to blindly go into situations that could cause kidnap or death. But without danger, there's far less fun and excitement. And I think it's easy to assume entire countries are no-go areas filled with people you have to avoid, when it's mostly preconceptions based on the limited information.

It sounds like you had/have an exciting life! Thank you again for the information and advice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.