The Student Room Group

Embarrassed about applying for 16-19 bursary?

Hi,
I'm eligible for the sixth form bursary and so I am applying, but am slightly embarrassed about it. I'm quite prideful and acknowledging that I'm eligible for financial assistance makes me feel embarrassed, as though the people who are aware of it will somehow think less of me. I get quite bad anxiety about this sort of thing, especially since it is regarding money. Does anyone have any advice for not feeling this way?
Reply 1
Nothing to be embarrassed about unless you want to work at Mcdonalds. I would do anything to get bursary.
Reply 2
Original post by 0lut0
Nothing to be embarrassed about unless you want to work at Mcdonalds. I would do anything to get bursary.

I'd just consider myself to be really academic who is known by a lot of teachers and so for some reason I feel like this puts a dent in that, even though the rational part of me knows that I shouldn't be ashamed.
I'm assuming only the school admin people will know though? there's nothing embarrassing about applying for bursary when you're eligible for it :biggrin:
and if someone thinks less of you based solely on the fact that you apply for bursary then their opinion of you shouldn't worry you too much anyway, you're better off without their judgement :biggrin:

Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I'm eligible for the sixth form bursary and so I am applying, but am slightly embarrassed about it. I'm quite prideful and acknowledging that I'm eligible for financial assistance makes me feel embarrassed, as though the people who are aware of it will somehow think less of me. I get quite bad anxiety about this sort of thing, especially since it is regarding money. Does anyone have any advice for not feeling this way?
(edited 6 years ago)
Nothing to be embarrassed about there after all it's free money. Besides a lot more people are eligible than you think , teachers won't care either in fact some of them would've probably been on it themselves if it has been around for a while (idk).
lol there's nothing embarrassing about being eligible for a bursary, as it isn't even a reflection of you, but of your parents financial situation?
Your teachers value you as a person, and if you are academic, then having a bursary wont change that perception they have of you. Either way, it's free money- why let pride get in the way of something you're entitled to :smile:
Reply 6
I'd just consider myself to be really academic who is known by a lot of teachers and so for some reason I feel like this puts a dent in that, even though the rational part of me knows that I shouldn't be ashamed.

What do you get from the bursary anyway? Im pretty sure most sixth forms are with no fees. Correct me if I'm wrong
Original post by HN786
What do you get from the bursary anyway? Im pretty sure most sixth forms are with no fees. Correct me if I'm wrong

a bursary usually includes money for living costs, books and general things to help you throughout each term?
Hi,

The bursary scheme is anonymous. Only you, the bursar and the head should know about it. In terms of pride, it should not get in your way because it is not based at all on you; its about your parents income. If someone is of the opinion that you should be disregarded because of your or you parents financial situation their opinion shouldn't matter to you anyway because they are clearly meritless.

It will also assist you greatly in applying for university. The eligibility of a bursary and FSM creates an underdog mantra and as universities want to attract students from a large amount of backgrounds it puts you in a superior position for an offer.
(edited 6 years ago)
I got one at sixth form, worth about £80 a half-term, it nicely paid for my bus fares
My year group was about 150 people and I knew of at least 8 (including me) that got the award
Nothing to be ashamed of, you can't help that you're parents don't earn the same as other people and it's not a reflection of your academic ability

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending