Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I suffer from anxiety and school puts me in a lots of situations where I feel very anxious.

So, my questions are to anyone who suffers from any kind of mental health issue:

What do you think of school and mental health - issues, solutions and personal experiences?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    My high school was literally rubbish i'm ngl - told me I faked panic attacks and didnt believe I felt how I said. I used to have a stress ball with me all the time just to help a little. Obviously it didnt fix the issue but I managed to get through year 10 and 11 on the waiting list for camhs with no help barely. I got good grades too, but that's because I'm a massive perfectionist and wouldn't settle for less than an A grade. I isolated myself for the majority of year 10 and 11 - I fell out with most of my friends and would rather have sat in a room on my own. I don't recommend doing that, but that's how I personally coped. I'm an introvert as it is, so honestly if anything, I think it helped me lol. In terms of anxiety though, because I had extremely frequent panic attacks during high school, if there was a presentation or something where i'd have to present, I'd ask my teacher if I could present it to her during a lunch or break time, rather than in front of the class. My English teacher, thankfully, was accommodating and so she would do that for me. Other teachers weren't as helpful, like the time my Biology teacher wouldnt let me stand outside to calm down while having a panic attack.

Depending on what year youre in though, college tends to be so much better. My college has tutors, you can speak to any of them and we have a counsellor. My tutor used to have regular meetings with my social worker, for example. It honestly really helped.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.