Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Simply so. I have just put in my application after other useless interviews and other job searching.

Anyone starting or already working at McDonalds?

ReputationRep:
    What degree did you do?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    What degree did you do?
    A non-employable one, let's just leave it as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnEvolvedApe)
    A non-employable one, let's just leave it as that.
    Why did you do it?

ReputationRep:
    Why did you do it?
    I entered further education and then higher education to:

• Escape the hard job market (didn't really have a choice)
    • Study something I enjoyed rather than thinking of employment (I regret this of course)
    • I wanted to finish what I started (a degree), despite losing a bit of interest over time

ReputationRep:
    I entered further education and then higher education to:

• Escape the hard job market (didn't really have a choice)
    • Study something I enjoyed rather than thinking of employment (I regret this of course)
    • I wanted to finish what I started (a degree), despite losing a bit of interest over time
    Did any of your peers find related jobs?

ReputationRep:
    Did any of your peers find related jobs?
    Nope. Most of my peers are working jobs totally unrelated to the degree. Or rather, jobs that didn't even require a degree.

My industry involves mostly freelancing (the creative world), something of which I have done moderately but it is a major struggle and I have lost too much passion to renew my energy into it as I have already worked quite hard on multiple occasions.

But, I must not deflect. I have elaborated on all of this in previous threads. I would much rather stick to the topic of the thread. But now these posts have probably derailed potential responses.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, I'm working there but I'm still in Sixth form. For that reason I don't plan to go to university though.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Most of my peers are working jobs totally unrelated to the degree. Or rather, jobs that didn't even require a degree.

My industry involves mostly freelancing (the creative world), something of which I have done moderately but it is a major struggle and I have lost too much passion to renew my energy into it as I have already worked quite hard on multiple occasions.

But, I must not deflect. I have elaborated on all of this in previous threads. I would much rather stick to the topic of the thread. But now these posts have probably derailed potential responses.
    I have recently graduated with a 2:1 in History from a decent university. Whilst I'm not working at McDonald's I would have applied had the opportunity arisen. I've recently found a role as an 'assistant' at a supermarket. Essentially it's 'stacking shelves' part time.

After a little soul searching I realised that the desire for secondary schools to progress its students to sixth form, then sixth form to University is a largely selfish act by senior members of staff at each stage. The secondary schools want to publish that X amount of students went to sixth form, and then the sixth form that X amount went to University. Unfortunately, as a result there are many graduates leaving University realising that there simply aren't enough graduate level jobs available in this country. I recently read an article that over 50% of graduates are not in a graduate role.

With that being said, I believe my own University education has forged a more intellectual and well-balanced outlook in myself. Whilst it was certainly not a waste, I occasionally feel embittered towards those in senior positions at each stage of the latter years of my education who encouraged all that could go to University to go, regardless of the cost.

As a side note, some of the responses you've received on this forum, in particular the 'is this hindering my job prospects?' post are rather saddening to see. I imagine the impetus for those posters who were smiting you for describing yourself as 'intellectual' and possessing a 'strong vocabulary' is their own insecurity. I hope it didn't and won't alter the way you present yourself as you strike me as a reasoned and educated individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IgnatiusLoyola)
    I have recently graduated with a 2:1 in History from a decent university. Whilst I'm not working at McDonald's I would have applied had the opportunity arisen. I've recently found a role as an 'assistant' at a supermarket. Essentially it's 'stacking shelves' part time.

After a little soul searching I realised that the desire for secondary schools to progress its students to sixth form, then sixth form to University is a largely selfish act by senior members of staff at each stage. The secondary schools want to publish that X amount of students went to sixth form, and then the sixth form that X amount went to University. Unfortunately, as a result there are many graduates leaving University realising that there simply aren't enough graduate level jobs available in this country. I recently read an article that over 50% of graduates are not in a graduate role.

With that being said, I believe my own University education has forged a more intellectual and well-balanced outlook in myself. Whilst it was certainly not a waste, I occasionally feel embittered towards those in senior positions at each stage of the latter years of my education who encouraged all that could go to University to go, regardless of the cost.

As a side note, some of the responses you've received on this forum, in particular the 'is this hindering my job prospects?' post are rather saddening to see. I imagine the impetus for those posters who were smiting you for describing yourself as 'intellectual' and possessing a 'strong vocabulary' is their own insecurity. I hope it didn't and won't alter the way you present yourself as you strike me as a reasoned and educated individual.
    Yes, it is truly worrying.

And yes, I believe I pushed some red buttons in that previous post. It is merely an honest and sincere one. I have read articles and other forums that also have the same concerns as me. I likely salted a wound in that post on many insecure individuals as you have said.

I am an ambitious, assertive person and some people just mistake that to be "snobby" as evidence in that thread. Its a shame really.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is truly worrying.

And yes, I believe I pushed some red buttons in that previous post. It is merely an honest and sincere one. I have read articles and other forums that also have the same concerns as me. I likely salted a wound in that post on many insecure individuals as you have said.

I am an ambitious, assertive person and some people just mistake that to be "snobby" as evidence in that thread. Its a shame really.
    No doubt it partly arises from the fact that this forum caters for users of all ages and intelligence levels. It would seem to me that most of those responding to you in such a negative manner were probably on the younger side, if not, I would be concerned for them.

In answer to the question you asked on that thread, I don't present myself differently as such on interviews for 'menial' work but I am aware not to use the same vocabulary I would use for other job interviews. I attempt to use a less developed or clarified vocabulary, which paradoxically appears to make it easier to understand.

I wish you well with your hunting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IgnatiusLoyola)
    No doubt it partly arises from the fact that this forum caters for users of all ages and intelligence levels. It would seem to me that most of those responding to you in such a negative manner were probably on the younger side, if not, I would be concerned for them.

In answer to the question you asked on that thread, I don't present myself differently as such on interviews for 'menial' work but I am aware not to use the same vocabulary I would use for other job interviews. I attempt to use a less developed or clarified vocabulary, which paradoxically appears to make it easier to understand.

I wish you well with your hunting!
    Yes. I do have some trouble toning down my vocabulary but it can be quite a struggle. Fortunately, most of the interviews I am getting require some form of intellect or technical ability. I was mostly referring to one Admin interview on that previous thread.

I keep getting interviews, so I am doing something right. My interview performance might just be lacking a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I recently graduated with a 2:1 in English Lit and I'm working at McDonalds until the opportunity for a grad job arises. If nothing else, it's built my confidence. It's not a bad place to work, but after a while (I've been there since July) it does start to wear you down if you work full time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanakaticshair)
    I recently graduated with a 2:1 in English Lit and I'm working at McDonalds until the opportunity for a grad job arises. If nothing else, it's built my confidence. It's not a bad place to work, but after a while (I've been there since July) it does start to wear you down if you work full time.
    Amazingly, I got rejected so that's a good start for me. Fantastic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.