Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheapest car insurance for a 17 year old? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm looking to insure my 2005 Renault Megane 1.4L but the cheapest car insurance I've been given so far is £2,700! That's with adding my parents who have really good driving records; 27 and 31 years driving without any accidents! Any cheap insurance providers?

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you're 17, I'm confused how your parents are so young! Have you looked into black box insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Make urself 1st driver then add the one with most experience as second do not add 3rd driver trust me
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tizzovo)
    Assuming you're 17, I'm confused how your parents are so young! Have you looked into black box insurance?
    Lol they're like 50! Just been driving a long time. I did and got quoted £2765...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stack__)
    Make urself 1st driver then add the one with most experience as second do not add 3rd driver trust me
    Isn't this fronting which is illegal??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazza2345)
    Isn't this fronting which is illegal??
    fronting is making yourself the second driver when you're the main driver
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fxlloutboyy)
    fronting is making yourself the second driver when you're the main driver
    Ah right cheers
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm looking to insure my 2005 Renault Megane 1.4L but the cheapest car insurance I've been given so far is £2,700! That's with adding my parents who have really good driving records; 27 and 31 years driving without any accidents! Any cheap insurance providers?
    Hi there! :wavey:

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried any price comparison services yet, such as Compare The Market?

Using these services will often allow you to differentiate between which companies are likely to offer you a good deal. It is also worth noting that the prices quoted for each company, by the comparison service, may differ to a quote obtained from those same companies if you were to contact them for a quote directly. This is, in fact, not un-common.

I run a 56 plate 1.6L Ford Fiesta Zetec S. With black boxes fitted, I received quotes for £7000, £6500 and £6000 using these services.

A friend recommended the co-operative young drivers insurance, which I contacted directly and settled with. In my first year, at 17, it cost me £2000. However, due to good driving, I received a £400 rebate. The year after, I paid £1500. If you drive well, they'll give you rebates. If not, your premium may rise. But I'd check those guys out if you hadn't already.

ReputationRep:
    I use more than smart wheels (you have to have a black box) and i paid £900 at 17 (Hyundai getz 1.4) And had rewards that by the end of the year will add up to about £100.

I spent a lot of time looking at comparison sites. the best for me was https://www.comparethemarket.com/ .

GL!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Try Marmalade. I've been insured with them since I was 19 with a 2016 smart car and the insurance quote is way cheaper than what I got from compare the market and stuff like that. Got quoted around 1400. Also depends on where you live. Black box though which isn't fun but hey, better than spending a fortune.

ReputationRep:
    Lol they're like 50! Just been driving a long time. I did and got quoted £2765...
    Sorry, I thought you said 27 and 31 years old.Lol!

However, I've come to notice that everyone will get different quotes with different insurers. All of my friends have different quotes with different providers. I would definitely recommend LV More Than Smart Wheels as they provided me with really cheap quotes (£2000) and I'm 17 too. What have you put for your annual mileage? This could really boost the price...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stack__)
    A third driver reduced my premiums this year by £250

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

try comparison site, I found confused.com is the cheapest for me. I would say on a 1.4 megane with your parents and second and third drivers your insurance should be around the 18000 mark. the cheapest company is usually more than smart wheels.

ReputationRep:
    As mentioned before, try comparison sites. Also try adding other drivers, play around with it and see what works. Be colourful with the details that you give... I'm not saying lie, cause that could turn around and bite you in the ass. Just be a bit colourful, maybe knock down the mileage estimates a little bit, I'm not saying put 3k miles then do 10k miles. But if you think you'll do say... 4000 miles, put 3000 miles or so, these aren't end-all be-all figures after all, they're estimates, and estimating what you'll do throughout an entire year is obviously going to yield somewhat inaccurate results.

There are black boxes, but they can be more trouble than they're worth sometimes. If you do decide to go with a black box, completely disregard my recommendation of slightly underestimating mileage, for a black box you want to over estimate it, because they will cover you for those set miles, and they'll make you buy more if you run out, and extra miles tend to be very pricey with black boxes...

That being said, 2.7k doesn't sound completely out of the world to me. My 1.4L TDCi Fiesta was about 2.6K (without a black box) for the first year.

ReputationRep:
    If you take the pass plus course with a qualified instructor there’s a chance that your insurance quote will be a little lower than before.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibrahim123456789)
    If you take the pass plus course with a qualified instructor there’s a chance that your insurance quote will be a little lower than before.
    Pass Plus no longer provides insurance discounts of a substantial amount that cover the original cost - not usually, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does and I’m not talking about a substantial amount maybe £100-£150 discount

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I passed my test when I was 17 too and found it quite difficult finding a reasonable price for insurance. I went with a company called 'more than smart wheels' and they come to your home address and fit the black box for you. I was paying around £130 a month for my first year and after that it reduced to £75 a year. I hope this has helped! Happy Driving!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibrahim123456789)
    Yes it does and I’m not talking about a substantial amount maybe £100-£150 discount
    You'll be hard pressed to find an insurer that offers such a discount - nevertheless, the course generally costs more than that as it is!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.