Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I've been at uni 4 weeks now and I really hate my course. I feel like I have absolutely no motivation to do it and I just feel like I am wasting my time being here. I really didn't want to move away from home but this was the closest uni that does my course and it's an hour and a half away from home.

Initially I wanted to take a year out to sort my head out and decide what I wanted to do but my parents pushed me into going as they said I'd regret it. Neither of them went to uni and I feel as though they're just pushing me to do what they imagine that they have missed out on. Every time I talk to them about dropping out they give me a lecture about how much I'll regret it and say how embarrassing it'll be telling people, then say that they're proud of me. I just feel like its so much pressure and they're not listening to what I want.

If I leave now then I have a job to go to so its not like I'd be doing nothing but I am also worried that years down the line I will be annoyed at myself. I have a good group of friends at uni but at the end of the day I'm really not enjoying the course or living away from home. I have also thought about having two years out to work and then doing the open uni when I decide what I want to do.

Basically what I am asking is what would you do in my situation. I don't want to feel as though I haven't given it a proper chance but at the same time I don't want to still be feeling this way months down the line and have wasted all that time and not have a job to go to or another option.

ReputationRep:
    It's not embarassing at all. I did it and never felt embarrassed. if you don't like something, why do it? It's like saying that you have a job you hate but it'd be too embarrassing to walk away and get another. Nah. If things are really that bad then you need to do what you need to do - but try and mitigate it by having some sort fo plan. You don't want to jack it and then get left in limbo having to go on the social or something. Maybe see out the term and see how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    if your not enjoying the course there is no point carrying it on cause it will just make you even more unhappy. look further into the alternatives you possess

ReputationRep:
    How did you select the course you are doing??? Before i started my degree program, i considered 6 careers. I found 5 or 6 people qualified in each career, and went out and interviewed them individually. I didn't want a 'consensus' opinion - i wanted the opinion of each practitioner. I made up a list of questions: "How much do you make, Where do you see yourself in 5 yrs, 10 years, What would you do differently in your educational career, if you had it to do over, Do you think your career will outlive you, [i.e. do you think you will always be able to get a decent paying job in your career, as long as you want one]. You don't want to be a 'buggy whip maker when gasoline cars come on the market'. Where do you see your career going over your lifetime? I wrote out the answers to each question, and went home, read over the answers, and considered my options. I finally decided upon electrical engineering. I got a Bachelor's Degree, and later, i went back to uni and got a Master's Degree - which turned out to be a good move. It put me in a position where i was qualified to run reasonable sized jobs [$5 to $10 million]. Without the Master's, nobody is going to trust you with a project that large. IMHO: The first thing to qualify a career on is: Can you earn a decent living doing this? There are PLENTY of 'hobbies' around. You don't need to waste 4 to 5 years of your life and a ton of money to 'study' another hobby. Read up on 'under water basket weaving' on your own time. Half of all marriages in the western world end in divorce. The woman usually ends up with the kids - particularly if they are small. Also, more than 80% of serious arguments between members of a couple - involve finance. If the both make a decent salary, this takes a lot of the stress out of the relationship. Good luck - remember, it's like a court case - you usually only get one try at it. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hol9)
    Hi,
    So I've been at uni 4 weeks now and I really hate my course. I feel like I have absolutely no motivation to do it and I just feel like I am wasting my time being here. I really didn't want to move away from home but this was the closest uni that does my course and it's an hour and a half away from home.

Initially I wanted to take a year out to sort my head out and decide what I wanted to do but my parents pushed me into going as they said I'd regret it. Neither of them went to uni and I feel as though they're just pushing me to do what they imagine that they have missed out on. Every time I talk to them about dropping out they give me a lecture about how much I'll regret it and say how embarrassing it'll be telling people, then say that they're proud of me. I just feel like its so much pressure and they're not listening to what I want.

If I leave now then I have a job to go to so its not like I'd be doing nothing but I am also worried that years down the line I will be annoyed at myself. I have a good group of friends at uni but at the end of the day I'm really not enjoying the course or living away from home. I have also thought about having two years out to work and then doing the open uni when I decide what I want to do.

Basically what I am asking is what would you do in my situation. I don't want to feel as though I haven't given it a proper chance but at the same time I don't want to still be feeling this way months down the line and have wasted all that time and not have a job to go to or another option.
    I have two sons at Uni and I know that some find it really difficult at first, but do eventually settle and start to enjoy their course. However, I also someone who dropped out in the first year and had no regrets and actually reapplied and went to a different university / course the following year and have now graduated with a good degree.

Many people say try sticking it out for the first term to see if it gets any better. Also, if you have received maintenance loan you will have to pay back any over payment if you leave mid way through the term, as I understand it.

If after considering all your options you decide to drop out, it is possible to reapply in the future as funding allows for 4 years. I am currently a mature student so it is never too late!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    University isn't for everyone, but you do need to think carefully about quitting. It may be that you haven't settled in yet. Would you consider transferring course?

If you still are set on quitting, at least you have a job lined up. Explain to your parents that you are not happy and that you are now working. If you want to return to university in the future, it is still an option. In the end, it is your choice to make.

What job is it and how long does the offer stand for?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.