Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any advice for learning guitar? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been wanting to learn guitar for a while now. I'm just not sure of the best way to do it. Anyone able to give any advice? I search up the chords, find they're too difficult and then quit. Ideally trying to learn by myself rather than taking lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Start with the open chords and just plod through them, one after the other. Dull, but gets your fingers working to remember the shapes. Once you're comfortable with some open chord shapes, you can work them into songs. You can play shedloads of songs with just 3 or 4 open chords.

After that it's about how far you want to go. If that's all you want to do, great. But starting to look at scales and how they relate to chords and to each other would eventually be useful (I've never much bothered with scales, I only know 3!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Start with the open chords and just plod through them, one after the other. Dull, but gets your fingers working to remember the shapes. Once you're comfortable with some open chord shapes, you can work them into songs. You can play shedloads of songs with just 3 or 4 open chords.

After that it's about how far you want to go. If that's all you want to do, great. But starting to look at scales and how they relate to chords and to each other would eventually be useful (I've never much bothered with scales, I only know 3!).
    Yeah, I think I should try doing that. I believe my problem is that I aim too far and disappoint myself when I fail. I wanted to play full songs as soon as I got my guitar and that's not going to happen for some time.
    Also, thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    You'll be able to play some basic ones after a few days if you gtive yourself half an hour/and hour a day of just getting through some basic chords.

If you've not already seen it, try out justinguitar.com for basic lessons. he's really good and his lessons are great for beginners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    You'll be able to play some basic ones after a few days if you gtive yourself half an hour/and hour a day of just getting through some basic chords.

If you've not already seen it, try out justinguitar.com for basic lessons. he's really good and his lessons are great for beginners.
    Ooh thank you, not heard of that one, I'll have to check it out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Set yourself a target - what do you want to be able to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Set yourself a target - what do you want to be able to do?
    Yeah, should probably build up targets - start small. I'd love to be able to just pick up a guitar and be able to play my favourite songs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.