Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

As part of my geography alevel course its compulsory for me to a fieldwork trip to gather data. My teacher has arranged the trip and needs us to pay £175 to cover the cost of 2 days in wales. i know that £175 is a big cost fpr a compulsory trip but my teacher did say that he brought the cost of it as much as he could and we can pay him in whatever installments we want and whenever.
    My mom however says its too much and is blaming the school for not covering at least half of the amount. She is convinced that the schools departments have enough funds to pay for it (even though i literally told her its a big issue for the department to even buynew gluesticks when theyre needed).
    She wants me to speak to my teacher if they can at least partially fund the trip but i feel embarassed to do this thinking my teacher may have a low opinion of me or start disliking me because of this.
    My mom is blaming me for not speaking to the school about covering the trip instead of telling her we can pay however much we want whenever as long as we get the cost covered. Im a quiet person that would rather just do as its said and cover the cost rather than make a big fuss about it and potentially ruining the relationship between me and my teacher
    Any advice i would be very greatful for as im getting very stressed about this and i dont know how to handle this situation.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your teacher and find out what data you need to collect for the fieldwork - its possible that such data could be collected from a nearby woodland or nature reserve even if it would be NICE to go to Wales, it may not be NECESSARY. When you ask your teacher, you don't have to insinuate that you're not thinking of going with them, you could just be asking out of curiosity or do prepare yourself. If it needs to be Wales, then maybe you could go on your own and camp to reduce costs. £175 does seem a lot of money but that depends on where you're travelling from and where you are staying. Remember that you cannot be discriminated against when it comes to marking if you cannot afford a trip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    As part of my geography alevel course its compulsory for me to a fieldwork trip to gather data. My teacher has arranged the trip and needs us to pay £175 to cover the cost of 2 days in wales. i know that £175 is a big cost fpr a compulsory trip but my teacher did say that he brought the cost of it as much as he could and we can pay him in whatever installments we want and whenever.
    My mom however says its too much and is blaming the school for not covering at least half of the amount. She is convinced that the schools departments have enough funds to pay for it (even though i literally told her its a big issue for the department to even buynew gluesticks when theyre needed).
    She wants me to speak to my teacher if they can at least partially fund the trip but i feel embarassed to do this thinking my teacher may have a low opinion of me or start disliking me because of this.
    My mom is blaming me for not speaking to the school about covering the trip instead of telling her we can pay however much we want whenever as long as we get the cost covered. Im a quiet person that would rather just do as its said and cover the cost rather than make a big fuss about it and potentially ruining the relationship between me and my teacher
    Any advice i would be very greatful for as im getting very stressed about this and i dont know how to handle this situation.
    If you have problems with funding the trip, it would be best to talk to the school or teacher to see if they could make arrangements for you (like funding). It is unfair for you to miss out on a trip that will enhance your education because of money troubles. When I was at school, they had funding for poorer students for things like uniform and stationery costs. Maybe something like this exists at your school too?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.