Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I cope with having no friends? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have no friends because I am shy and don't really know how to make some...

Attachment 699926
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNoWhereMan)
    I have no friends because I am shy and don't really know how to make some...
    Just make some online if ur shy.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    Just make some online if ur shy.
    Oh? I didn't think of that! Where could I do this??

i'm a naturally shy person too. It tends to take me a few weeks to make friends with new people. It works best if you make friends with people who don't have the exact same personality because having friends who are also shy does not help at all, its just awkward a lot of the times because no one speaks first. Sometimes small progression such as just talking to the people around you can make you more comfortable around them and then eventually you will become friends. If not, distract yourself? since its a new school year, many of my old friends have left and dropped out of college so i tend to make use of the time I have by revising.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh? I didn't think of that! Where could I do this??
    Social media, TSR I guess there would be sites for making friends as well.

ReputationRep:
    Same here! I can feel your pains

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i'm a naturally shy person too. It tends to take me a few weeks to make friends with new people. It works best if you make friends with people who don't have the exact same personality because having friends who are also shy does not help at all, its just awkward a lot of the times because no one speaks first. Sometimes small progression such as just talking to the people around you can make you more comfortable around them and then eventually you will become friends. If not, distract yourself? since its a new school year, many of my old friends have left and dropped out of college so i tend to make use of the time I have by revising.
    I suppose! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    Social media, TSR I guess there would be sites for making friends as well.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!
    o extracuriccular stuff. go swimming in a club. enter school group competitions. do after school activities like STEM or music clubs. lots to do

ReputationRep:
    I completely understand. It took me about 3 years at secondary school to make friends, but you'll find the right people don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Are you at school or university?

ReputationRep:
    Play online games make friends like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    Are you at school or university?
    Sixth Form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randz18)
    Play online games make friends like that?
    I'm not a gamer so I probably wouldn't meet people who I could be friends with.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a gamer so I probably wouldn't meet people who I could be friends with.
    I have no real close friends too... nobody to share my thoughts with. I keep them bottled up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    I have no real close friends too... nobody to share my thoughts with. I keep them bottled up
    I’m exactly the same except I told a few people who I thought I was close with that I think I might be depressed but they said I was joking and that if I did have depression then I would keep it to myself.

ReputationRep:
    I’m exactly the same except I told a few people who I thought I was close with that I think I might be depressed but they said I was joking and that if I did have depression then I would keep it to myself.
    I told a girl offhand I spoke 5 languages and my expression was apparently so blank she had to ask if I was sarcastic or not (I wasn’t). I think I’m doing an exceptional job on hiding my feelings tbh...

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same situation as you. I’m in 6th form year 12 and no exaggeration I have no one. I had 2 friends before but throughout year 11 I felt like I was just tagging along and they let me because they felt sorry for me and since we left in may ive spoke to them about 3 times, they go to college now. I have social anxiety so it’s really hard for me to talk to people but I’ve accepted now that there is no point in me stressing about talking to people to try and make friends because atm it’s doing more harm than good as I’m having a hard time and too many other things to worry about. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t try and make friends because you definitely should. When you want to make friends, think to yourself why it’s hard. If it’s because your worried about what they think of you, what I try and do is remind myself that when people try to talk to me, I don’t judge them and the likelyhood is, no one will judge you and if it doesn’t workout, that person would probably have forgotten your attempt to talk to them by the end of the day. It is hard to cope with not having friends because you have no friends to help you through it but there are plenty of other people who cope without having friends, so there is no reason why you couldn’t.
    If you need to talk just let me know, chances are I won’t be doing anything because I don’t have friends 😂

ReputationRep:
    Try online gaming. It is very easy to make friends that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg846)
    I am in the same situation as you. I’m in 6th form year 12 and no exaggeration I have no one. I had 2 friends before but throughout year 11 I felt like I was just tagging along and they let me because they felt sorry for me and since we left in may ive spoke to them about 3 times, they go to college now. I have social anxiety so it’s really hard for me to talk to people but I’ve accepted now that there is no point in me stressing about talking to people to try and make friends because atm it’s doing more harm than good as I’m having a hard time and too many other things to worry about. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t try and make friends because you definitely should. When you want to make friends, think to yourself why it’s hard. If it’s because your worried about what they think of you, what I try and do is remind myself that when people try to talk to me, I don’t judge them and the likelyhood is, no one will judge you and if it doesn’t workout, that person would probably have forgotten your attempt to talk to them by the end of the day. It is hard to cope with not having friends because you have no friends to help you through it but there are plenty of other people who cope without having friends, so there is no reason why you couldn’t.
    If you need to talk just let me know, chances are I won’t be doing anything because I don’t have friends 😂
    Thanks!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.