Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I cope with having no friends? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Dr.Professor)
    3) tough it out till Uni. Its easy as pi (3.14159...) to make friends in Uni .
    Not necessarilly. I managed not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    Not necessarilly. I managed not to.
    Well if you don't try you're not gonna make friends. You obviously didn't try. You're probably those guys that go home after Lectures and don't speak to anyone.

Life ain't like that. If you don't try you don't get anywhere. Join a society. Go to social events. I'm black and I braved it out and went to the Chinese society. Yes it was awkward and embarrassing but go there enough times and you'll end up making friends. Yh and I'm still social awkward too.

My point is try. You don't have to do something as extreme but you trying gets you places. If you don't have friends you have nothing to lose...as long as you don't do crazy stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Dr.Professor)
    Well if you don't try you're not gonna make friends. You obviously didn't try. You're probably those guys that go home after Lectures and don't speak to anyone.

Life ain't like that. If you don't try you don't get anywhere. Join a society. Go to social events. I'm black and I braved it out and went to the Chinese society. Yes it was awkward and embarrassing but go there enough times and you'll end up making friends. Yh and I'm still social awkward too.

My point is try. You don't have to do something as extreme but you trying gets you places. If you don't have friends you have nothing to lose...as long as you don't do crazy stuff.
    I never used to have to try to make friends. It used to be as easy as Pi, as you put it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    That's the game I was thinking of. Well I am only level 123 with 107 hours played so perhaps you could still be right that it's easy to make a lot of friends there even as a guy.
    Play in USA server if you don't lag. They are more vocal there compare to Europe.
    Eu server is so boring lol
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, just look at the number of posters in this thread to realise YOU ARE NOT ALONE! While we may not be 'friends' as such, there's a community of people here on TSR you can reach out to any time :-)

Secondly, shyness isn't a problem in itself (who wants a world of just loud, brash people? 'Shy' isn't wrong, it's just different) but what can be an issue and hold you back in life is low self-esteem. So the question is less "how do I become less shy?" and more "how do we go about building self-confidence?"

Well, from my experience it's about gobbling up life experiences as bravely and ambitiously as possible. When I was a sixth-former I was soooo awkward. I was quite a 'young' teenager if you know what I mean - no life skills - and I just wish I could go back and give myself some advice... "put yourself out there, get out of your comfort zone, join the Duke of Edinburgh scheme, do a language exchange programme, join air cadets... anything to pick up more independence and life skills!". Oh, and I'd tell myself "take a gap year and do sth adventurous before going to Uni!". All of these things not only give you more strings to your bow, not only give you more self-pride and confidence but they also have the bonus of introducing you to loads of people you wouldn't have otherwise met, and who knows, some of those people might just become friends! So, tell me/us... what things might you be keen to do that would take you outside of your comfort zone and introduce to new people? :-) Tim

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty much in the same situation due to being really anxious around people and I only have a few friends because of that. But yeah, I would try to make Internet friends first like others suggest because it is a LOT easier. Personally, I would recommend google+ (yeah, ppl use it) because it has a good amount of people with different tastes and the easier to communicate with others compared to places like twitter or tumblr. Simply because it's easy to find posts due to communities.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.