Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the Nintendo Switch worth getting without a TV? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've been thinking about getting a Nintendo Switch but the only problem is that I don't have a tv in my room. There's probably one I could use in the house but could any switch users tell me if it's worth getting just for the handheld? Thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flipurry)
    Hi, I've been thinking about getting a Nintendo Switch but the only problem is that I don't have a tv in my room. There's probably one I could use in the house but could any switch users tell me if it's worth getting just for the handheld? Thanks!
    Having the Switch docked means you'll be able to enjoy the game at 1080p (provided you have the full HD monitor), compared to 720p on the handheld console. If you don't mind missing out this feature and sticking with the 6.2" screen, it may be worth it. But there are some really good monitor deals like this one if you don't want to buy a TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mystelle)
    Having the switch docked means you'll be able to enjoy the game at 1080p (provided you have the full HD monitor), compared to 720p on the handheld console. If you don't mind missing out this feature and sticking with the 6.2" screen, it may be worth it. But there are some really good monitor deals like this one if you don't want to buy a TV.
    Thank you for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, the Switch is AMAZING, and i would say yes, but when playing games like the legned of zelda or super mario odyssey which require the systems power, the battery will drain really quickly. And since the charging port is in such an awkward position if you do get it i'd recommend getting a stand with it like this one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Switch.../dp/B01N9RTMWS
    If your willing to drop that extra £10 then
    YES IT IS WORTH IT MY GOD THE GAME LIBRARY IS INCREDIBLE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ismaeel Ali)
    Thing is, the Switch is AMAZING, and i would say yes, but when playing games like the legned of zelda or super mario odyssey which require the systems power, the battery will drain really quickly. And since the charging port is in such an awkward position if you do get it i'd recommend getting a stand with it like this one
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/HORI-Switch.../dp/B01N9RTMWS
    If your willing to drop that extra £10 then
    YES IT IS WORTH IT MY GOD THE GAME LIBRARY IS INCREDIBLE
    Yeah the game lineup so far looks fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    I am considering getting a Switch because it has two 10/10 games now, Breath of the Wild (also on WiiU and practically the same graphically) and Super Mario
    Odyssey.

However I was really disappointed in the joycon controllers. Tiny butttons and a tiny joystick in some cheap feeling plastic and putting it in a joycon grip doesn't feel
    quite like a classic controller. People used to playing handhelds probably won't mind but some of those who are going to use it primarily to play on a TV might want
    to get a Switch pro controller for £54.99-£59.99. Even that gets mixed reviews but it's the only one that has the gyroscopics inside like the joycons do.

The lack of any announcement of any more WiiU ports has disappointed me. I know that new Switch games will be wanted by former/current WiiU owners but I'll be disappointed if Super Mario 3D World doesn't get a port. I would expect that Super Mario Maker would be a given at some point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.