Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a very shy person and not confident. I do boxing and I have been doing boxing for a while now but that still hasn't gotten my confidence up and communication skills better as I heard boxing builds your confidence up, but for some reason it hasn't for me. I'm starting to get fed up of being like this now :/

ReputationRep:
    I am very shy too. That's what brought me to this website. I am hoping to make friends here.

ReputationRep:
    I mean In some places I am shy such as when I am in Sixth form but when I am at the gym I am confident

ReputationRep:
    I was really shy growing up. Then I remember hearing someone say something like 'to anyone else, there's no difference between you being confident, or acting confident'. So I tried acting confident, and it worked. Then as other people saw be being (apparently) confident I started becoming more confident. It was self-fulfilling and it worked. I don't know how old you are, but confidence often comes with age and experience, so don't worry about how things are at the moment - they'll get better :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    I was really shy growing up. Then I remember hearing someone say something like 'to anyone else, there's no difference between you being confident, or acting confident'. So I tried acting confident, and it worked. Then as other people saw be being (apparently) confident I started becoming more confident. It was self-fulfilling and it worked. I don't know how old you are, but confidence often comes with age and experience, so don't worry about how things are at the moment - they'll get better :-)
    Ty but how do I push myself to be confident?

ReputationRep:
    What sort of problems does this cause you? Do you have problems making friends?

I think sometimes people need to give themselves a break, just accept yourself for who you are. Some people are shy, some people are over-confident. I am generally a confident person but still get shy in certain situations but as pp have suggested, I find that just acting confident in such situations helps a lot!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    What sort of problems does this cause you? Do you have problems making friends?

I think sometimes people need to give themselves a break, just accept yourself for who you are. Some people are shy, some people are over-confident. I am generally a confident person but still get shy in certain situations but as pp have suggested, I find that just acting confident in such situations helps a lot!
    Its the people in my sixth form that i don't like that is making me shy but when I go to make new friends I am confident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent456)
    Its the people in my sixth form that i don't like that is making me shy but when I go to make new friends I am confident.
    Are they bullying you or just being generally loud and obnoxious?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a job? I was really shy and lacked a lot of confidence, but when I got my first job it forced me to be confident and a lot less shy and it completely changed me as a person. I literally just went and made a complaint in person about people smoking outside my window. I've never made a complaint in person before! A job can really change you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I am a very shy person and not confident. I do boxing and I have been doing boxing for a while now but that still hasn't gotten my confidence up and communication skills better as I heard boxing builds your confidence up, but for some reason it hasn't for me. I'm starting to get fed up of being like this now :/
    I hope this helps:

1) Relax, imagine you're just observing or there as a traveller. For example, if you are on holiday, you go there to experience and observe the attraction, you're not going to get anxious doing that are you?

2) Smile, smiling in contagious.

3) Be confident, respect yourself, accept yourself, work out, wear good clothes, feel good, focus on your passions, know you are a good person who treats people well, think positively, be proud of yourself, do things that make you happy, remember your happy times, what makes you confident? What makes you proud? Do you have a skill you are good at? Do things like cooking, driving, learning that increases your confidence daily.

Have good posture, body language, improve your appearance. Be happy with yourself.

4) Dress well, have good grooming, hairstyle, have good posture.

5) Just say hi or hey to people in your vicinity, who cares if they don't say anything back?

6) Ask how they are, how's everything, what made them choose this course, their plans for the future, their plans for the rest of the day, weekend, how was their weekend, what they will get up to, what they got up to, ask them about their hobbies, talk about what's happening, talk about current affairs.

Talk about the weather or did you see that sports game? Just mingle with them,

Compliment them, say "I like your jacket".

If you know they went on a holiday or somewhere, ask them about it etc.

7) Be passionate about life.

8) Lighten up, have a laugh, laugh easily, be friendly, approachable, interested, relaxed.

9) Look outside!

You gotta box correctly tho. If you are a crap boxer it will only exacerbate (nothing to do with masturbate!) your confidence issue. Try another boxing club or even a different fighting style.

It also depends on the type of confidence your after. If you're being bullied, learning to fight will help you both physically and mentally. It will do sod all for being confident with dating. Even riding a motorbike/driving a nice car doesn't help with that. You either have it or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Do you have a job? I was really shy and lacked a lot of confidence, but when I got my first job it forced me to be confident and a lot less shy and it completely changed me as a person. I literally just went and made a complaint in person about people smoking outside my window. I've never made a complaint in person before! A job can really change you.
    I might try getting a Job see if that helps....

ReputationRep:
    I might try getting a Job see if that helps....
    I believe it will.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.