Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering that if i was to apply for an apprenticeship in the field of software development, engineering etc. Would i need to have previous background experience of coding and programming to be eligible for the apprenticeship?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Well, i would expect so - in order to carry on a conversation with the other staff. There are many books on various languages. I'm presently working my way through one on assembly programming in windoze - that walks you through writing simple programs using "DeBug" - which comes with Windoze. There are other books available for Visual Basic, Visual C++, other things. I used to do a LOT of programming in Fortran, but that was years ago. All of the "Visual" things basically automated the screen graphics design to a 'drag and drop' process. You could do that in regular Basic, but you had to 'hand code' all of the 'boxes' and 'display' things manually. I wrote a program like that once in Basic. I had a menu list with a 'highlight' bar, and you could click on your selections & they would be downloaded to an output file. This was all written with regular Basic. It would have been less work with Visual Basic, but that wasn't available then. Cheers & good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.