The Student Room Group

Is Laptops Direct trustworthy?

I'm considering ordering a Lenovo IdeaPad 510S laptop from www.laptopsdirect.co.uk for around £450. The laptop itself looks good but I'm concerned by some of the online reviews regarding the company. They have an overall score of 93% on Reevoo but a somewhat lower customer service score of 76%. On Google they have 4.0 stars, which also seems reasonable. Reading some of the negative reviews, especially on Google, is quiet worrying, however, as there are several reports of issues getting refunds, shipping problems, etc. with descriptions along the lines of "worst company ever".

Has anyone had experience with this company? Are they trustworthy? How much attention should I pay to these online reviews? I am relatively new to online shopping. I was surprised to see Currys has a 5.5/10 score on Trustpilot as I have considered them a well-known reputable company. Their score on Reevoo is much better, however.

Scroll to see replies

Get it from curry's, or go in any big mainstream store.

Or you know... buy it from lenovo
Reply 2
Original post by mrlaurenceo
I'm considering ordering a Lenovo IdeaPad 510S laptop from www.laptopsdirect.co.uk for around £450. The laptop itself looks good but I'm concerned by some of the online reviews regarding the company. They have an overall score of 93% on Reevoo but a somewhat lower customer service score of 76%. On Google they have 4.0 stars, which also seems reasonable. Reading some of the negative reviews, especially on Google, is quiet worrying, however, as there are several reports of issues getting refunds, shipping problems, etc. with descriptions along the lines of "worst company ever".

Has anyone had experience with this company? Are they trustworthy? How much attention should I pay to these online reviews? I am relatively new to online shopping. I was surprised to see Currys has a 5.5/10 score on Trustpilot as I have considered them a well-known reputable company. Their score on Reevoo is much better, however.

I bought Mr Ginormous-Huge from there in October last year, and didn't have any problems. But then I didn't have any problems, so did't have to test their customer service. However, with any online reviews it's generally only the bad reviews that get posted. If you buy something and it's fine, you're not motivated to tell everyone. It's only if you're really, really mad that you want everyone to know.

If you can, it's best to pay with a credit card. This means that you have extra protection from the credit card company if something goes wrong. If you don't have your own, can you borrow one from a friend or relative and pay them back?
Reply 3
Original post by Harold Saxon

Original post by Juno
I bought Mr Ginormous-Huge from there in October last year, and didn't have any problems. But then I didn't have any problems, so did't have to test their customer service. However, with any online reviews it's generally only the bad reviews that get posted. If you buy something and it's fine, you're not motivated to tell everyone. It's only if you're really, really mad that you want everyone to know.

If you can, it's best to pay with a credit card. This means that you have extra protection from the credit card company if something goes wrong. If you don't have your own, can you borrow one from a friend or relative and pay them back?

Thanks both for your responses! Unfortunately, neither Curry's nor Lenovo offer this model.

Sorry about my ignorance - is Mr Ginormous-Huge a game? That is a very valid point, Juno. I also noticed that the more recent reviews on Google tend to be worse but I'm not sure whether there's significance to that. I have access to a credit card so I will use that to buy it. You can also use your Amazon account to pay using your card and you receive A-Z Buyer Protection (https://payments-uk.amazon.com/help/201212420) by doing this - is this also useful as an additional layer of protection?
I've bought a couple of laptops from them and never had any problems.
Reply 5
Thanks both for your responses! Unfortunately, neither Curry's nor Lenovo offer this model.

Sorry about my ignorance - is Mr Ginormous-Huge a game? That is a very valid point, Juno. I also noticed that the more recent reviews on Google tend to be worse but I'm not sure whether there's significance to that. I have access to a credit card so I will use that to buy it. You can also use your Amazon account to pay using your card and you receive A-Z Buyer Protection (https://payments-uk.amazon.com/help/201212420) by doing this - is this also useful as an additional layer of protection?

No, Mr Ginormous-Huge is my laptop, silly.

Personally, I would just use a credit card. The more layers you go through, the higher the possibility that everyone will try to fob you off to everyone else. If you stick with your credit card, their legal obligations are clear and they have to stick with that.

Any replies here would be as useful to you as the reviews on google are. Anyway Currys PC World have appalling customer service. IME they will fob you off and try to get you to buy pointless crap. The products themselves are good enough.
However one computer I purchased there came with free spyware. When I took it back for a refund, they just wouldn't accept there was an issue. They would only "restore to factory settings" which I had no choice but to accept. The very fact that there was malware on the computer in the 1st place made me distrust their ability to restore the computer properly, hence my request for a refund. However they did manage to restore it properly but I now buy elsewhere.
Buying elsewhere also allows me to buy a computer with just what I need on it. PC World computers come loaded with rubbish I don't want or need. And require more payment for stuff I actually do need.

Can't comment on Laptops Direct.

Original post by Harold Saxon

Well that was about as useful as a pedal powered wheel chair.
Original post by Laomedeia
Any replies here would be as useful to you as the reviews on google are. Anyway Currys PC World have appalling customer service. IME they will fob you off and try to get you to buy pointless crap. The products themselves are good enough.
However one computer I purchased there came with free spyware. When I took it back for a refund, they just wouldn't accept there was an issue. They would only "restore to factory settings" which I had no choice but to accept. The very fact that there was malware on the computer in the 1st place made me distrust their ability to restore the computer properly, hence my request for a refund. However they did manage to restore it properly but I now buy elsewhere.
Buying elsewhere also allows me to buy a computer with just what I need on it. PC World computers come loaded with rubbish I don't want or need. And require more payment for stuff I actually do need.

Don't disrespect the pedal powered wheelchairs!8228872_orig.jpg
Original post by Student-95
I've bought a couple of laptops from them and never had any problems.

Original post by Juno
No, Mr Ginormous-Huge is my laptop, silly.

Personally, I would just use a credit card. The more layers you go through, the higher the possibility that everyone will try to fob you off to everyone else. If you stick with your credit card, their legal obligations are clear and they have to stick with that.

Oh of course, I should have guessed that! :wink: That's a very valid point - thank you!

Original post by Laomedeia

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'd agree that it seems trustworthy enough :smile: I'll probably wait and see if anything better comes up anywhere in Black Friday but if not, I'll go for it.
LAPTOPS DIRECT / BUY IT DIRECT DO NOT USE
I don’t normally have to write letters of complaint , but on this occasion I felt I had no alternative but to criticise the way you operate and treat you’re customers.

I ordered a laptop on the 27th December which was supposed to have been delivered on the 4th of January which never turned up. Through all of my own efforts about thirty emails and about fifteen phone calls made a point that the item wasn’t received providing evidence ,but all you’re customer service said was that the case had been closed or that it had been signed for , or I had asked for it to be delivered elsewhere which is an absolute lie! Then I had to check neighbours for the delivery , you couldn’t even tell me were it had been delivered to properly .

I then had to get the evidence from DPD , and I must say the experience I received from them was 100% better than Laptops . They listened to my grievance about the none delivery and provided me with the proof to share with you .The evidence clearly pointed to the fact that it had not been delivered ! but even then you were saying “its been delivered” .

I had to get Paypal and Trading standards involved and Paypal were magnificent and resolved it for me today , by saying the case had been closed in my favour and about time, only 34days after the order was placed , it’s a shocking response.

You also had the audacity to say this in you’re email on the 26th of January

HI Gareth,

I have had an update from our claims department and they are trying to push through a claim with DPD now. If you can bear with me until Monday I will have a resolution for you by the then of the day then.

I must say what I cheek !

My response

Why should I have waited four weeks for this to be resolved , and also I am you’re customer and have the contract with Laptops not DPD . So if you’re saying , when you get you’re claim done with DPD , you will issue me with one , that is not at all acceptable .

I have proved with all my evidence this was not delivered and should have been dealt with weeks ago !

Anybody who uses this Company Laptops Direct or Buy It Direct I wish you the best of luck , absolutely horrendous.

I have since found many complaints on forums about this Company . This is just one of many which would have tipped me off about this bad experience had I checked them out thoroughly.

Their customer service string you along, fob you off with their pointless emails, you get replies from a different employee each time where you then have to restart the process of explaining the problem etc.

This comment was a understatement from my experience.
Reply 12
Original post by billybadger68
LAPTOPS DIRECT / BUY IT DIRECT DO NOT USE
I don’t normally have to write letters of complaint , but on this occasion I felt I had no alternative but to criticise the way you operate and treat you’re customers.

I ordered a laptop on the 27th December which was supposed to have been delivered on the 4th of January which never turned up. Through all of my own efforts about thirty emails and about fifteen phone calls made a point that the item wasn’t received providing evidence ,but all you’re customer service said was that the case had been closed or that it had been signed for , or I had asked for it to be delivered elsewhere which is an absolute lie! Then I had to check neighbours for the delivery , you couldn’t even tell me were it had been delivered to properly .

I then had to get the evidence from DPD , and I must say the experience I received from them was 100% better than Laptops . They listened to my grievance about the none delivery and provided me with the proof to share with you .The evidence clearly pointed to the fact that it had not been delivered ! but even then you were saying “its been delivered” .

I had to get Paypal and Trading standards involved and Paypal were magnificent and resolved it for me today , by saying the case had been closed in my favour and about time, only 34days after the order was placed , it’s a shocking response.

You also had the audacity to say this in you’re email on the 26th of January

HI Gareth,

I have had an update from our claims department and they are trying to push through a claim with DPD now. If you can bear with me until Monday I will have a resolution for you by the then of the day then.

I must say what I cheek !

My response

Why should I have waited four weeks for this to be resolved , and also I am you’re customer and have the contract with Laptops not DPD . So if you’re saying , when you get you’re claim done with DPD , you will issue me with one , that is not at all acceptable .

I have proved with all my evidence this was not delivered and should have been dealt with weeks ago !

Anybody who uses this Company Laptops Direct or Buy It Direct I wish you the best of luck , absolutely horrendous.

I have since found many complaints on forums about this Company . This is just one of many which would have tipped me off about this bad experience had I checked them out thoroughly.

Their customer service string you along, fob you off with their pointless emails, you get replies from a different employee each time where you then have to restart the process of explaining the problem etc.

This comment was a understatement from my experience.

Chill out mate, by the sounds of it, it got lost in transit - that's not the companies fault, it's the couriers! A month isn't a ridiculous amount of time to investigate and process a refund.
Reply 13
Scammers!!! I do not recommend anyone to buy anything from them, unless you want to be ripped off.
Reply 14
laptopsdirect are Scammers!!! I do not recommend anyone to buy anything from them, unless you want to be ripped off.
Reply 15
Original post by taxenco
laptopsdirect are Scammers!!! I do not recommend anyone to buy anything from them, unless you want to be ripped off.

They're really not though, are they? :smile:
Yes they are, they are the worst company I have ever dealt with, even the phone calls are ridiculously expensive. I ordered a Laptop as I lost mine, but someone handed it it to the concierge where I was working, so I cancelled my order with Laptops direct before they shipped it out but they still shipped it out anyway and then refused to take it back. Luckily for me they sent me the wrong model yet they still argued they would not take it back. If you check their refund policies they make you jump through several unnecessary hoops and they will even charge you around £50 if you do not do a factory reset on the laptop. I threatened them with the consumer rights act 2015 and then they backed down. Dreadful dreadful company.

Under law, if you purchase a faulty product or the product is not as advertised, then the company selling the product to you is responsible, not the manufacturer, yet their website states you have to call the manufacturer first to get a code for the problem, all of the manufacturers phone numbers on their website are out of date, they stipulate you have to print off a return form which when printed needs reformatting etc etc. All of these things are not required by law, I spoke to a lawyer friend of the family, he told me to return the laptop under the consumer rights act 2015 with a covering letter. The guy at customer services said that if I send it back to them they will just send it straight back to me and I said fine, then I will take legal action. About 30 minutes later he called back and said he spoke to a supervisor and they were now willing to take it back and they will even send out a free courier to pick it up. This company, which is part of the Buy It Direct company, are basically a scam company they will try and rely on customers just giving up.
(edited 5 years ago)
I bought a Lenovo from them a few months back. I had some faults with the charge which turned out to be something other then the battery. I must say their customer service in my experience was particularly outstanding. At first I thought i just had to buy a new charger, so I told them. They desopisted £30.00 directly into my account to pay for it. Thought that was pretty good start. It turned out it was a greater fault and I opted for a full refund.They paid for the unit to be picked up and they fully refunded my money as soon as they recieved the unit back and confrimed their testing. mUST SAY, IT IS ALWAYS A RISK BUYING REFURBISHED OR SECOND HAND. The Lenovo had a 2 year warranty come with it. I would use them again and would recommend them. they are genuine and respond to my genuine call for service.
Here is my review from another site, in short, I really recommend against using them. They fail to deliver, and I'm still waiting for my money to be refunded over 16 days later.

Should have learnt from my first experience with laptops direct and not tided them again. Ordered a laptop, paid for next day delivery, no correspondence around delivery tracking or progress, called delivery day afternoon, turns out it had only just been dispatched, example of the custom tee service you can expect.

Cancelled order, called again to question why I have not yet received my money back, laptops direct have no idea, are struggling to find the item or confirm it’s been returned by the deoivery company.

Ongoing saga, extremely irritating that due to the companies incompetence I have to spend my time to ensure my money is returned to me.

In summary, i strongly advise to use another company, even if the price is more expensiveness you’re guaranteed a better experience.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Do not buy from them. I am still regreting. They want your money and they do not care about anything else. You could easily end up paying for something that won't be delivered like is my case. Then you can contact them as many times as you want that they will close your case and god bye to your money and your purchase. Keep yourself far away from them!!!