The Student Room Group

Flat Party Stress

So my flat has decided to arrange a Halloween party for tomorrow night. There are 10 of us in the flat, and one of the girls created an event for it on Facebook. There are over 100 people attending the event on Facebook, and my anxiety levels are through the roof. I'm concerned that my stuff is going to get trashed, stuff of mine taken from the fridge, and the state of the kitchen. I never wanted this party to start with, it was just something that the "clique-y" group of girls pretty much forced upon the flat.
I'm already extremely anxious about it, and I don't know what to do. I don't want to be the "grass" of the flat, but at the same time I have to keep myself mentally sane (I've already been having problems due to the mess that they leave the kitchen in).
Any advice?
Original post by SampleX
So my flat has decided to arrange a Halloween party for tomorrow night. There are 10 of us in the flat, and one of the girls created an event for it on Facebook. There are over 100 people attending the event on Facebook, and my anxiety levels are through the roof. I'm concerned that my stuff is going to get trashed, stuff of mine taken from the fridge, and the state of the kitchen. I never wanted this party to start with, it was just something that the "clique-y" group of girls pretty much forced upon the flat.
I'm already extremely anxious about it, and I don't know what to do. I don't want to be the "grass" of the flat, but at the same time I have to keep myself mentally sane (I've already been having problems due to the mess that they leave the kitchen in).
Any advice?

100 people on facebook attending an event =/= 100 people turning up.

If you're concerned, take your stuff out of the kitchen and put it in your room.

If you don't want to know about the party - just lock up your room and go somewhere else - no one will even realise you're not there
Reply 2
Original post by Trinculo
100 people on facebook attending an event =/= 100 people turning up.

If you're concerned, take your stuff out of the kitchen and put it in your room.

If you don't want to know about the party - just lock up your room and go somewhere else - no one will even realise you're not there

My plan was to take my stuff out tonight/tomorrow tbh. I'm having a couple of friends coming to the party, along with my boyfriend, so I do have to be there, at least for like an hour or so. I'm merely worried about numbers due to the fact that people have been talking about our party on campus that we don't even know - something I am NOT happy about.
Original post by SampleX
My plan was to take my stuff out tonight/tomorrow tbh. I'm having a couple of friends coming to the party, along with my boyfriend, so I do have to be there, at least for like an hour or so. I'm merely worried about numbers due to the fact that people have been talking about our party on campus that we don't even know - something I am NOT happy about.

That's a fact of communal life.

In reality, if 100 people say they're coming, it will be more like 60 - and the genuine numbers will be mitigated by the physical size of the flat.

If it's not for you - just go out and come back the day after.
Is there a number for security you can call if things get out of hand? I completely understand where you're coming from. My flatmate brought back 8 lads all drunk and doing drugs when I realised after being kept awake at 3am that my all-time favourite mug was on the draining board in the kitchen. I couldn't sleep thinking it would get smashed. I wasn't about to walk in there to get it. Definitely take your stuff out of the kitchen and put it in your room for the evening.
Original post by SampleX
Any advice?

As others have said the likelyhood of 100 people turning up is minimal and 99% of student flat parties happen without any significant incident. I would also echo others saying keep valuable stuff locked in your room. Yes the kitchen might end up messy but at the end of the day that can be cleared up & won't harm you- I survived 3 years with a messy student kitchen without getting ill. And I've personally never be to a party where guests delved into the fridge, even in their drunkest state.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending