The Student Room Group

Little grammar errors

By no means do I claim to be an English expert, but I have noticed many small mistakes people make, perpetuated by the frequency of such errors. I would like to correct a few of these mistakes for people if I can:

- Don't use 'less' when talking about a countable noun. Use 'fewer' instead .

'There are less people in Manchester than in London' should be 'There are fewer people in Manchester than in London'

- When writing using a shortened version of a word, always place a dot after the shortened word. The purpose of the dot is to indicate that the word has been shortened.

'P.D.F files are good' should be 'P.D.F. files are good', 'Mr Smith is tall' should be 'Mr. Smith is tall'.

- Apostrophes should never be used in plurals, regardless of what it is.

'Year 12's should start revising' should be 'Year 12s should start revising', 'The 1980's were a time of great talent's' should be 'The 1980s were a time of great talents'.

- Never use adjectives to describe verbs, use adverbs.

'The driver drove slow' should be 'The driver drove slowly'.

- Use the correct copula (is, am, are) based on person with the word 'there', use the 'are' copula with plurals, always.

There's lots of students in my school' should be 'There are lots of students in my school'.

- Make sure, when using perfect tense, that you use the correct verb form and the same when making the past tense.

'I done my homework yesterday' should be 'I did my homework yesterday', 'Jack's went to Benidorm' should be 'Jack's gone to Benidorm'.

- When saying something is 'more' something, don't use the 'er ' form of an adjective as well, use one or the other.

'I want to become more tougher' should be 'I want to become tougher', 'I think that Mike is more faster than Al' should be 'I think that Mike is more fast than Al'.

- And finally, when shortening (contracting) 'You are', it becomes 'you're' and not 'your'.

'Your not nice (you are not nice)' should be 'You're not nice'.

Please try to take these into consideration when using English, especially in writing. These mistakes will vanish from existence if nobody makes them. But always remember, we all make mistakes and you shouldn't feel bad for making any of these ones. Thanks for reading!
(edited 6 years ago)
First thing you say, "countable amount of something". It should be number, not amount.

The first thing you say and you ****ed it up.
Reply 2
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
First thing you say, "countable amount of something". It should be number, not amount.

The first thing you say and you ****ed it up.

Haha I'm so sorry! That's not very professional of me. Please correct any more mistakes I've made, it's hard for me to see where I've gone wrong when I don't know I'm making mistakes .
Original post by sambeaz6
By no means do I claim to be an English expert, but I have noticed many small mistakes people make, perpetuated by the frequency of such errors. I would like to correct a few of these mistakes for people if I can:

- Don't use 'less' when talking about a countable amount of something. Use 'fewer' instead .

'There are less people in Manchester than in London' should be 'There are fewer people in Manchester than in London'

- When writing using a shortened version of a word, always place a dot after the shortened word. The purpose of the dot is to indicate that the word has been shortened.

'P.D.F files are good' should be 'P.D.F. files are good', 'Mr Smith is tall' should be 'Mr. Smith is tall'.

- Apostrophes should never be used in plurals, regardless of what it is.

'Year 12's should start revising' should be 'Year 12s should start revising', 'The 1980's was a time of great talent's' should be 'The 1980s was a time of great talents'.

- Never use adjectives to describe verbs, use adverbs. e.g.

'The driver drove slow' should be 'The driver drove slowly'.

- Use the correct copula (is, am, are) based on person with the word 'there', use the 'are' copula with plurals, always.

There's lots of students in my school' should be 'There are lots of students in my school'.

- Make sure, when using perfect tense, that you use the correct verb form and the same when making the past tense.

'I done my homework yesterday' should be 'I did my homework yesterday', 'Jack's went to Benidorm' should be 'Jack's gone to Benidorm'.

- When saying something is 'more' something, don't use the 'er ' form of an adjective as well, use one or the other.

'I want to become more tougher' should be 'I want to become tougher', 'I think that Mike is more faster than Al' should be 'I think that Mike is more fast than Al'.

- And finally, when shortening (contracting) 'You are', it becomes 'you're' and not 'your'.

'Your not nice (you are not nice)' should be 'You're not nice'.

Please try to keep these into consideration when using English, especially in writing. These mistakes will vanish from existence if nobody makes them. But always remember, we all make mistakes and you shouldn't feel bad for making any of these mistakes. Thanks for reading!

Really useful thread! I was planning to make one just like this actually :lol:.

One more: "affect" is a verb and "effect" is a noun (so "the event affected me greatly" and "the event had a huge effect on me").

If anyone reading this is having trouble with any grammar rules, this might be a good thread in which to ask about/discuss them. ^_^
Original post by sambeaz6
Haha I'm so sorry! That's not very professional of me. Please correct any more mistakes I've made, it's hard for me to see where I've gone wrong when I don't know I'm making mistakes .

Haha, don't worry. It is a very good and educational post. I particularly like the PDF point, as I see people omit the last dot quite a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending