Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    If the Republicans in Congress drop Trump, he's finished. And there comes a point at which many of those will do that and that point is when it's proven he put the foreign policy of the United States up for sale, and made a deal with the Russians on that basis.
    The key for the Republicians in Congress will be whether or not they consider he is detrimental to their own re-election.

It may also have a bearing on the 33 senate seats coming up for re-election.

As November 2018 will come pretty quickly, if he is a detriment to their campaigns he will start to lose their (public) support, so the next 2-3 months, and the news that ensues, will be critical.

Whether impeachment is even on the cards depends on the damage, a long running impeachment battle would itself be a detriment to their campaigns, so some interesting perms; my gut feel is that short of direct incrimination they will not back impeachment, however they will also not back his presidency if the information is merely damaging but not sufficient to impeach.

This is where he ought to be using his political capital;he maybe should have been a little more pleasant on the way up as all those he took a swipe at (in the Republican party) will be waiting their turn to hit him on the way down.

So the key is how damaging is the evidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Incredible how many Trumpbots there are here.
    Trumpbots on TSR? LMFAO "people are saying things I disagree with, they must be bots"
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    OH MY GOD, Some users on TSR support Trump?
    F**k*g hell. They have different opinions and are not following my narrative! !!!!!!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    OH MY GOD, Some users on TSR support Trump?
    F**k*g hell. They have different opinions and are not following my narrative! !!!!!!
    No feel free to carry on, you're just embarrassing yourself that's all.

ReputationRep:
    we're all bots lads, not like shillary who literally paid trolls to shill for her and still lost, oh no

ReputationRep:
    When I saw the title of the post i was hoping for some intellgent reasoning and facts to back your claim and not the usual autisic screaming about Trump .... oh was I wrong.
    I cited facts in my OP. You know, things that happened, like the Papodopoulos plea deal and the Manafort/Gates indictments.

All you've offered in response to that is a butthurt Trumpian whine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    The key for the Republicians in Congress will be whether or not they consider he is detrimental to their own re-election.

It may also have a bearing on the 33 senate seats coming up for re-election.

As November 2018 will come pretty quickly, if he is a detriment to their campaigns he will start to lose their (public) support, so the next 2-3 months, and the news that ensues, will be critical.
    The evidence (538 is quite good on this) is that Trump is dragging down candidates, the current Virginia gubernatorial GOP candidate was very clear that he didn't want Trump to campaign for him.

It's true that there are 33 senate seats up for re-election, but a far greater number of them are Democrats. Unfortunately it may be difficult for the Dems to win the senate, overall, unless it is basically a landslide election. More likely is bringing the senate to 50/50, and then they only need to flip one moderate Republican to win a senate vote. The Republicans currently have a majority and they are still losing votes on key legislation.

This is where he ought to be using his political capital;he maybe should have been a little more pleasant on the way up as all those he took a swipe at (in the Republican party) will be waiting their turn to hit him on the way down.
    The problem is Trump has very little political capital to spend. A president's base, the diehards, do not buy him anything. It's really only having the support of independents and middle America that allows a president to truly have clout beyond his executive powers and bully pulpit.

You are 100% on the money in terms of being more pleasant. There are so many people Trump has ****ed over, not because he had to or the situation called for it, but because it pleased him to **** them over. People like Rudy Giuliani (who I find revolting but who was a fiercely loyal surrogate to Trump during the election and would have been well qualified for a cabinet position).

So the key is how damaging is the evidence?
    Seth Abramson's view is that even on what we already have, you essentially have proof that Trump's senior campaign managers made a conscious deal with Russia to sell the foreign policy of the United States. We haven't made that final link to Trump, but I suspect his aides will flip to protect themselves rather than him; will any of them really believe Trump will see them through and stand by them when it becomes inconvenient to do so?

If Trump colluded, then we will find out about it. My view is that he did based on the information already in the public domain (the Mayflower hotel speech and Trump's after-speech meeting with the Russian ambassador and several pro-Russian oil lobbyists is an important event in this)

ReputationRep:
    Total silence from Trump's twitter account since the Papadopoulos plea deal was announced, over seven hours with no inane chatter from the manchild.

Why doesn't Trump DO SOMETHING?

ReputationRep:
    Is it obligatory to work for/have some formal title from TSR to be anti-brexit, anti-Trump, anti-Conservatism? It certainly seems that way with so many of you spreading your ignorant dross.

ReputationRep:
    Well, he was elected in the first place, so anything is possible. Don't party yet

ReputationRep:
    The alt right and American conservatism are two very separate groups. Hence alt right refers to "Alternative right". They hate each other.

The alternative right are actually closer to the left because both are obsessed with culture, identity and race (minorities and the white majority)

Both the left and the alt right focus on the collective where as conservatives focus on the individual.
    Very good point. Often the word 'far-right' is thrown around as an insult to libertarians.

Far-right as in fascism or nazism is actually on the far left in terms of how much state control and lack of freedom there is. Remarkably similar in past examples to communism.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me if I'm somewhat sceptical OP, but people have been predicting Trump's imminent demise since he entered the GOP nomination race.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    It's just not though is it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexanderHam)
    Trump is finished. The Papadopolous guilty plea, with Manafort and Gates indictments, along with information already in the public domain, proves that the Trump campaign colluded with Russia.

The essence of the deal was that Trump would change American foreign policy (removing sanctions against Russia, removing the Ukraine plank from the Republican Party platform) in exchange for Russian assistance in winning the election and any dirt they might have on Clinton. And Russia worked hard to keep up their end of the bargain; leaking emails they'd hacked off the DNC servers, running bot campaigns to support the Trump campaign, even attempting to hack the voting machines.

What we now know is that Papadopoulos and Flynn are almost certainly already co-operating with Mueller and providing information about the treasonous bargain Trump struck with the Russians.

This fascinating megathread by an attorney / professor in America outlined how devastating today's events are.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...88111880417280

Lock him up. Lock him up. Lock him up. Lock him up.
    Except it isn’t, and it isn’t likely to be either no matter how many wet dreams you have about it.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No feel free to carry on, you're just embarrassing yourself that's all.
    Are we? What, for not believing that Trump is on the brink of impeachment because a member of his campaign admitted lied, made false/failed to make necessary declarations, and trying to arrange meetings with Russia which the record shows the campaign rejecting on numerous occasions?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not on the Trump train but this is kind of reaching. Trump is probably a one-termer anyway. If you're a dem, just take the L, sit back for a few years and get behind whoever the new candidate is. I'm sure he/she'll will tick all the right PC boxes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JVoorhees)
    I'm not on the Trump train but this is kind of reaching. Trump is probably a one-termer anyway. If you're a dem, just take the L, sit back for a few years and get behind whoever the new candidate is. I'm sure he/she'll will tick all the right PC boxes.
    You do realise that part of Trump winning was down to NOT ticking the PC boxes, right? In fact in a way it was essential.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but it's important for Democrats to have their trans-genderqueer lesbian Muslim POC or something.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JVoorhees)
    Yeah, but it's important for Democrats to have their trans-genderqueer lesbian Muslim POC or something.
    While having the media, which overwhelmingly backs them, keep quiet any involvement they had with the Russians
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It really is. I can almost smell their fear and desperation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.