Mannikk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently taking 3 a levels and a level 3 BTEC. there is a reasonable amount of workload between all the subjects but is it worth keeping the BTEC when i could just focus on the a levels if universities won't ever pay interest to the BTEC during application? or am i wrong and unis tend to value a btec among other results even though the btec doesnt contribute towards the course applying to? i want to study economics and the btec is media. (i had previously wanted to go into marketing)
GovernmentEarner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
3A Levels a BTEC is absolutely fine for all universities. However, it would be better if the BTEC was related to economics e.g. business or applied maths etc
Mannikk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by GovernmentEarner)
3A Levels a BTEC is absolutely fine for all universities. However, it would be better if the BTEC was related to economics e.g. business or applied maths etc
do you think its worth staying on the btec since its not related? im not sure how useful it will be during the application besides the tariff points
gomgossa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hmm honestly if I were you I'd drop the btec; you have 3 a-levels which is all any unis ask for, so why give yourself more unnecessary work ? Unless you find it incredibly enjoyable I don't really see the point in doing it- it wouldn't really be of any use to your application (just double check unis you want to apply for don't look at ucas tariff)
username2692395
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd drop the BTEC and focus on you're A levels, you'll thank yourself later
Froppy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mannikk)
I'm currently taking 3 a levels and a level 3 BTEC. there is a reasonable amount of workload between all the subjects but is it worth keeping the BTEC when i could just focus on the a levels if universities won't ever pay interest to the BTEC during application? or am i wrong and unis tend to value a btec among other results even though the btec doesnt contribute towards the course applying to? i want to study economics and the btec is media. (i had previously wanted to go into marketing)
BTECs alone can get you into almost any university assuming it's related to the course you want to study. However For 'prestigious' universities such as oxbridge you will need other qualifications in addition to your BTEC to meet their entry requirements. There is also a very small number of universities that don't accept BTECs whatsoever such as Imperial.

So in my opinion if you plan on aiming for a top university i would suggest focus on getting good grades in your A-levels and drop the BTEC (Since the workload may affect your A-level revision and it isn't related to what you want to study anyway).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads