Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If a university rejects me (based on predictions) and then I end up getting the grade, do i have to reapply? or can i just accept them on UCAS?......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soIiIoquy)
    If a university rejects me (based on predictions) and then I end up getting the grade, do i have to reapply? or can i just accept them on UCAS?......
    Depends... most re-apply the next year, but you can go into adjustment where you apply for places post-results day where the entry requirements are similar to what you achieved.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If you're rejected, you would either need to apply through Clearing or take a gap year and reapply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    If you're rejected, you would either need to apply through Clearing or take a gap year and reapply
    (Original post by Rex Onocrotalus)
    Depends... most re-apply the next year, but you can go into adjustment where you apply for places post-results day where the entry requirements are similar to what you achieved.
    is clearing usually successful?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    is clearing usually successful?
    Not all unis and courses will be in Clearing. Some unis (like LSE) never use Clearing, and others don't need to because their courses are full. So if you're after a specific option, it's possible it won't be available.

To be eligible for Clearing, you also need to be holding no other offers. This means if you don't get a place through Clearing, you have nowhere to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Not all unis and courses will be in Clearing. Some unis (like LSE) never use Clearing, and others don't need to because their courses are full. So if you're after a specific option, it's possible it won't be available.

To be eligible for Clearing, you also need to be holding no other offers. This means if you don't get a place through Clearing, you have nowhere to go.
    so for example, after results day 4 uni's are offering me a place but one had rejected me. If i wanted to go to that one uni, i wouldnt be eligible to go through clearing because i already have 4 other offers?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    so for example, after results day 4 uni's are offering me a place but one had rejected me. If i wanted to go to that one uni, i wouldnt be eligible to go through clearing because i already have 4 other offers?
    No, you can't have 4 unis offering you a place after results day.

You initially apply for up to 5. you then get offers/rejections. You then need to choose from the offers. You pick your favourite as your Firm Choice, and your second favourite as your Insurance Choice. Any uni that is not Firm or Insurance just disappears as though they never gave you an offer in the first place. The deadline for choosing the Firm and Insurance varies depending on when you get all of your replies, but it will be at the latest June and more often is in May (your Track will display the deadline clearly, don't worry). So you have to decide your Firm and Insurance before you know what grades you have,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    No, you can't have 4 unis offering you a place after results day.

You initially apply for up to 5. you then get offers/rejections. You then need to choose from the offers. You pick your favourite as your Firm Choice, and your second favourite as your Insurance Choice. Any uni that is not Firm or Insurance just disappears as though they never gave you an offer in the first place. The deadline for choosing the Firm and Insurance varies depending on when you get all of your replies, but it will be at the latest June and more often is in May (your Track will display the deadline clearly, don't worry). So you have to decide your Firm and Insurance before you know what grades you have,

ahhh right, i get it now! thank you !
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Following on from my last post:

On results day, you have Firm and Insurance.

If you meet the grades for Firm, woohoo, great, you're going to your Firm favourite choice.
    If you miss the grades for Firm, you look at your offer for Insurance and see if you're going there - if you meet that offer, you're in.
    If you miss both offers, you're in Clearing.

You can also elect to put yourself in Clearing by rejecting whichever offer you met.

If you're in Clearing, you can apply to any uni that is advertising itself as having Clearing vacancies. But since everybody else has also chosen their Firm and Insurance, the uni might not have any spaces as they might already have enough applicants

ReputationRep:
    You won't be holding four offers by results day - if you get more than two offers, you have to reject some of them. You only get to keep two - your firm and your insurance. If your firm rejects you on results day but your insurance accepts you, then no, you can't go into clearing, because you still have an offer. If you were to decide that you'd rather go into clearing than take the offer, then you'd have to ring up your insurance choice and ask them to release you. Same goes for if you don't want to go to your firm any more. If you've exceeded the entry requirements of your firm offer, however, you can go into adjustment, a service which helps you look for courses with higher entry requirements if you could have aimed higher. Like clearing, you speak to the university about it on results day. I may be wrong, but if you're using adjustment rather than clearing I think you can keep your original offer until you have a new confirmed place.

If a university never gives you an offer in the first place, based on predicted grades, then no, you can't just click accept on results day because there's no offer to accept. As others have said before, your options there if you do meet their entry requirements are to go through clearing or adjustment, or, if you really have your heart set on the place and this isn't an option, to take a year out and re-apply. Hope that clears things up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Following on from my last post:

On results day, you have Firm and Insurance.

If you meet the grades for Firm, woohoo, great, you're going to your Firm favourite choice.
    If you miss the grades for Firm, you look at your offer for Insurance and see if you're going there - if you meet that offer, you're in.
    If you miss both offers, you're in Clearing.

You can also elect to put yourself in Clearing by rejecting whichever offer you met.

If you're in Clearing, you can apply to any uni that is advertising itself as having Clearing vacancies. But since everybody else has also chosen their Firm and Insurance, the uni might not have any spaces as they might already have enough applicants
    so all in all, clearing is the last resort and is a pretty hard/stressful option if you want to go uni in that year?

Spoiler:
    Show

i should be okay then!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    There is the possibility of Adjustment, but very few applicants gain places through Adjustment. In 2016, there were nearly 675,000 applicants through UCAS. Over 50,000 got places through Clearing, and 890 used Adjustment. So even though people on TSR will say "yeah, use Adjustment!" you need to remember that practically nobody ever gets in through Adjustment.

But if you want to try Adjustment, you need to meet and exceed your Firm offer.
    This means if your Firm is AAB, you need to get AAA (or higher).
    If Firm is AAB including A in physics, you need to get AAA and ensure that you have that A in physics.
    If it's 112 UCAS points including 80 UCAS points from 2 A Levels, you need to ensure you have at least 50 UCAS points from 2 A Levels.

With Adjustment, you can keep your Firm choice whilst looking for another uni. So if you don't find another uni that will take you, you still have Firm to fall back on. This means it's different to Clearing - in Clearing, you had no other options. Clearing lasts until 20th September, but Adjustment only lasts for 5 days from the date you enter it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    There is the possibility of Adjustment, but very few applicants gain places through Adjustment. In 2016, there were nearly 675,000 applicants through UCAS. Over 50,000 got places through Clearing, and 890 used Adjustment. So even though people on TSR will say "yeah, use Adjustment!" you need to remember that practically nobody ever gets in through Adjustment.

But if you want to try Adjustment, you need to meet and exceed your Firm offer.
    This means if your Firm is AAB, you need to get AAA (or higher).
    If Firm is AAB including A in physics, you need to get AAA and ensure that you have that A in physics.
    If it's 112 UCAS points including 80 UCAS points from 2 A Levels, you need to ensure you have at least 50 UCAS points from 2 A Levels.

With Adjustment, you can keep your Firm choice whilst looking for another uni. So if you don't find another uni that will take you, you still have Firm to fall back on. This means it's different to Clearing - in Clearing, you had no other options. Clearing lasts until 20th September, but Adjustment only lasts for 5 days from the date you enter it.

oh my... hahai doubt id go through adjustment, most likely be through clearing.

I know that I can meet the requirements for my uni's, but I just wanted to know, just in case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.