Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HELP [Electronegativity] Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand about electronegativity and finding difference between VDW and dipole-dipole forces
    I tried googling but all the results are "if electronegativity is below xxx above xxx then it is polar/non polar
    But how do you know the electronegativity?
    EG
    QUestion
    Which of the following substances only show VDW(Only showing 2 for clarity, imagine there are more choices in order to remove the "process of elimination")
    CH4
    NH3

I know (just directly) that NH3 is dipole-dipole but how do I know if CH4 is dipole dipole or just VDW

Any help is appreciated thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SenseiChen)
    I don't understand about electronegativity and finding difference between VDW and dipole-dipole forces
    I tried googling but all the results are "if electronegativity is below xxx above xxx then it is polar/non polar
    EG
    QUestion
    Which of the following substances only show VDW(Only showing 2 for clarity, imagine there are more choices in order to remove the "process of elimination"
    CH4
    NH3

I know (just directly) that NH3 is dipole-dipole but how do I know if CH4 is dipole dipole or just VDW

You need to learn the shapes produced by molecules in the process of minimising repulsion between electron pairs.

Symmetrical molecules cancel out dipoles and become non-polar overall.
    linear, trigonal planar, tetrahedral, trigonal bipyramidal, octahedral if the dipoles are all the same.

All other shapes are polar.

ReputationRep:
    EG
    QUestion
    Which of the following substances only show VDW(Only showing 2 for clarity, imagine there are more choices in order to remove the "process of elimination"
    CH4
    NH3

Hey, I think NH3 is actually hydrogen bonding as it takes places between hydrogen and the highly electronegative elements( Oxygen, Fluorine and nitrogen), i do know that CH4 is van der waals because it has no permanent dipoles that are oppositely charged. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    You need to learn the shapes produced by molecules in the process of minimising repulsion between electron pairs.

Symmetrical molecules cancel out dipoles and become non-polar overall.
    linear, trigonal planar, tetrahedral, trigonal bipyramidal, octahedral if the dipoles are all the same.

All other shapes are polar.
    To summarise all non symmetrical molecules are dipole-dipole?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    To summarise all non symmetrical molecules are dipole-dipole?
    yes, and don't forget resonance/delocalisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    yes, and don't forget resonance/delocalisation.
    Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.