Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need help. I am looking to buy my first car and I have seen one that I love but the only problem is it's done over 100,000 miles. Is It worth buying or will I be needing to constantly buy new parts and will it be breaking down? Thanks . https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...72?radius=1500
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 204alh)
    I need help. I am looking to buy my first car and I have seen one that I love but the only problem is it's done over 100,000 miles. Is It worth buying or will I be needing to constantly buy new parts and will it be breaking down? Thanks . https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...72?radius=1500
    100,000 miles is a bit much... Tbh, I go for cars which have 40,000 miles or less.

I'd look for another car, with less mileage, if I was in your position.

ReputationRep:
    It depends upon how well looked after it's been, and what has already been done. Have a search for common issues with that model.

It looks to have non-standard wheels, which could increase your insurance, which I assume could be an issue.

I'd be looking for something unmodified and with fewer miles. I'd also want something fairly basic - it'll probably pick-up a few scratches and dents.

ReputationRep:
    over 100,000 is definitely a no no. There are plenty more fish in the sea... :P

ReputationRep:
    I'd avoid anything above 50,000 for your first car. Other things to take into account is modifications. Has it been slammed? etc. I know I wouldn't buy a car that has been modified.

Also, sometimes it can be suspicious if an owner takes a very long time to clean and valet the vehicle as the owner may be trying to hide issues which he/she think you won't pick up. I'd always do insurance price checks on a car before purchase, so that I know how much the insurance was going to be before I purchased the car and based the purchase on that.

If you're ever looking to buy a new car on a potential PCP plan, which can, at least insurance wise be cheaper, maybe have a look at some reviews I did on a few decent choices on my blog: https://philipgrummettcarreviews.wordpress.com/ Think these could help out and also may give you an idea about some older models.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite a lot of miles for a 5 year old car - more than 20,000 per year. That makes me think it's done a fair bit of motorway commuting (although it's not a very motorway friendly car...) That's not necessarily a bad thing as cars generally like that kind of usage - it's easier on the engine and gearbox than stop-start urban driving.

Apparently it also has a full service history. This is a good thing as a well-maintained car will last for a long time. But bear in mind that people can interpret service history differently, especially when they're selling a car. They might mean it's been serviced once a year - i.e. every 20,000 miles. I personally would think that's not enough servicing and would say it should be serviced every 10,000 miles or so.

It's also an extremely slow car, but I suppose as a new driver you're not exactly spoiled for choice. I'd choose something with better acceleration for motorways and A roads though. Trying to overtake lorries in something so underpowered can be scary.

What's your budget?

ReputationRep:
    I bought a VW Polo 1.4 16v 2005 in March, cried for 2 months until my birthday (when I could actually drive the car I'd been staring at for the past 2 months) and ever since the day I passed (June-ish) I haven't stopped. I've done (give or take) 4000 miles, long distances are vital to see family members which I love but the most important bit is what car I drove there.
    My car had 1 lady owner from new, looked after and cleaned every week and never let them down, and even after my 6 months of occasional "boyracer"-ish driving it's never let me down.

My car sat around the 100k mileage mark when I bought it and was £1,250 as I brought her down a little bit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.