Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel 9-1 GCSE Maths Resits Nov 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

This is the discussion thread for everyone resitting Edexcel 9-1 GCSE Maths this November. How are you feeling about the exam?

Dates:
    • Paper 1 (non-calculator) - November 2nd
    • Paper 2 (calculator) - November 6th
    • Paper 3 (calculator) - November 8th

The specification is here.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I’m so scared 😱 I passed maths but I wanted to improve my grade so I decided to resit 💙 but I completely forget about it until now 😰 I do Chemistry, Biology and Psychology which take up a lot of my time, hence the reason I forget and now I’m panicking 😨 for my GCSE’s I completed all the workbooks on the maths genie website but I throwed them away 🤦🏽*♀️ I know that I don’t have enough time to do all of them again ☹️ Have you got any tips for me 👸🏽 I know I’m a fool 🤡 do you know what topics will certainly come up on the non calculator paper 💋
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnolia0)
    Hey, I’m so scared 😱 I passed maths but I wanted to improve my grade so I decided to resit 💙 but I completely forget about it until now 😰 I do Chemistry, Biology and Psychology which take up a lot of my time, hence the reason I forget and now I’m panicking 😨 for my GCSE’s I completed all the workbooks on the maths genie website but I throwed them away 🤦🏽*♀️ I know that I don’t have enough time to do all of them again ☹️ Have you got any tips for me 👸🏽 I know I’m a fool 🤡 do you know what topics will certainly come up on the non calculator paper 💋
    Because you're so close to the exam, I think the best thing you can do is try as many practice papers as you can. There are some specimen papers here and I'd recommend a book like this if you have time to buy it.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    This is the first time I'm sitting the new 9-1 paper and I'm revising from home. I've had such a terrible week that I haven't been able to revise at all because my dad has been in hospital and I've been having to make ups and downs for hours and hours.

I just feel like cancelling the exam or not going at all because I feel so dumb right now, I feel so damn unprepared!! Don't know what to do for tomorrow's paper; even though I know I've got time for the next 2 calculator papers - I just hope they're not bad. I'm so nervous, and this new spec is just freaking the hell out of me especially because I'm basically crap at maths.

I really want to do Teacher Training - I had to take a gap year before getting onto my course. I just hope I pass this time around, so scared although I've passed both my English and Maths skills test. Honestly, surprising it is! That too in my first attempt, but I'm so not confident about GCSE Maths tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    How did y'all find it?

I did foundation! Not a lot of people seem to have done the resit this year in my college, so looking for people to discuss it with!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys can i just ask how come there now is 3 papers? How does that work with finding out the overall grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonVH)
    How did y'all find it?

I did foundation! Not a lot of people seem to have done the resit this year in my college, so looking for people to discuss it with!
    on paper 1 first page what did you do for the make l the subject to a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BIGBOY6969)
    on paper 1 first page what did you do for the make l the subject to a
    I don't remember that question. Did you do Edexcel?
    How did you find the overall exam?

ReputationRep:
    Did any other top students resit.Like ppl who wanted a 9 I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anam109)
    This is the first time I'm sitting the new 9-1 paper and I'm revising from home. I've had such a terrible week that I haven't been able to revise at all because my dad has been in hospital and I've been having to make ups and downs for hours and hours.

I just feel like cancelling the exam or not going at all because I feel so dumb right now, I feel so damn unprepared!! Don't know what to do for tomorrow's paper; even though I know I've got time for the next 2 calculator papers - I just hope they're not bad. I'm so nervous, and this new spec is just freaking the hell out of me especially because I'm basically crap at maths.

I really want to do Teacher Training - I had to take a gap year before getting onto my course. I just hope I pass this time around, so scared although I've passed both my English and Maths skills test. Honestly, surprising it is! That too in my first attempt, but I'm so not confident about GCSE Maths tomorrow.
    If ur theist calm your mind with God.
    If not find something else first.
    After ur mind is calm the exam will be a lot easier.Idk if ur doing foundation od higher but im doing higher and the paper was a lot easier than summer 2017.
    If it helps listen to my story.
    You think u were unprepared.
    I got given my exam timetable,one day beforr thr exam.
    Had no idea about it.Was playing video ganes all holiday and then told when my GCSE resit was..and im resitting English aswell.
    Lots of stressful thoughts wudda been natural to anyons,however nothing can stress me cos ive trained my mind to be calm,not physically trained just mentally telling myself to be calm.
    I walked out both exams thinking they were quite ez.Got my final engkish exam in a bit still calm,gonna start revising now.point is if u panic its much worse for u. Good luck on Monday and wednesday
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannit2)
    Hey guys can i just ask how come there now is 3 papers? How does that work with finding out the overall grade?
    Not quite sure what you mean here? The raw marks are added up and the grade boundaries are set out of the total raw marks. Then the grade can be found easily.
    There are 3 papers since that is what was decided for the new specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember the topics on paper one Edexcel foundation? I want to know what to focus on in the next two papers

ReputationRep:
    I can honestly say hand on heart i walked out crying!
    After studying for 8 months and endless hours of practice tests, nothing prepared me for that exam, so much so i am convinced i failed, that tomorrow i am just going to try my best on these calculator papers.
    I only did foundation with Edexcel but oh my it was tough!
    I was extremely hard on my self the whole day, as i only completed 24 questions out of 30 as ran out of time!!!
    And don't get me started on that expression of L with the 5 little A sticks, What was that! So glad i'm not the only one who thought it was horrible and Edexcel surly don't like anyone or pass grades !
    So today is consisting of studying all day, not like im too sure what to really study, as everything i studied for first paper was useless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lianne.b)
    I can honestly say hand on heart i walked out crying!
    After studying for 8 months and endless hours of practice tests, nothing prepared me for that exam, so much so i am convinced i failed, that tomorrow i am just going to try my best on these calculator papers.
    I only did foundation with Edexcel but oh my it was tough!
    I was extremely hard on my self the whole day, as i only completed 24 questions out of 30 as ran out of time!!!
    And don't get me started on that expression of L with the 5 little A sticks, What was that! So glad i'm not the only one who thought it was horrible and Edexcel surly don't like anyone or pass grades !
    So today is consisting of studying all day, not like im too sure what to really study, as everything i studied for first paper was useless!
    Youre probably not gonna like this advive coming from me but whatever.
    1)Calm your mind right now.Asap.Trust me.Renenber how the 1St exam was on Thursday.I recieved my exam timetable on the Wednesday of that week and I had totally forgit about it.(Lol when it said Nov17 Resits I thought jt meant Nivember the 17th not November 2017😂😂).
    Yet.I did not panic.Not one bit.Though ill admit I have never been afraid of exams, it helps to train your mind to stay calm.

2)Stay optimistic.Im not gonna lie.In summer 2017 I went into my physics exam and realised that I forgot to revise for it since I fell asleep early due to being ill.I felt absolutely dreadful in that exam.Felt iknew nothing.So I just told myself to stay calmEven if I cudnt remember any information itd be fine.
    After the exam I told my physics teacher I'd probably get a D.
    Turns out I was the only one who managed to (just about) get an A*.

Basically even if u feel dreadful just stay calm it most likely wont be as bad as u thought.
    Eg in maths I felt so relieved after seeing those grade boundaries 😂😂.
    3)dnt make notes on stuffnot in maths..Apply mathematical knowledge.Watch a video on how to do something.Find a question on that Thing.answer. Repeat.

Good luck on Wednesday and Monday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkDeathRider)
    Youre probably not gonna like this advive coming from me but whatever.
    1)Calm your mind right now.Asap.Trust me.Renenber how the 1St exam was on Thursday.I recieved my exam timetable on the Wednesday of that week and I had totally forgit about it.(Lol when it said Nov17 Resits I thought jt meant Nivember the 17th not November 2017😂😂).
    Yet.I did not panic.Not one bit.Though ill admit I have never been afraid of exams, it helps to train your mind to stay calm.

2)Stay optimistic.Im not gonna lie.In summer 2017 I went into my physics exam and realised that I forgot to revise for it since I fell asleep early due to being ill.I felt absolutely dreadful in that exam.Felt iknew nothing.So I just told myself to stay calmEven if I cudnt remember any information itd be fine.
    After the exam I told my physics teacher I'd probably get a D.
    Turns out I was the only one who managed to (just about) get an A*.

Basically even if u feel dreadful just stay calm it most likely wont be as bad as u thought.
    Eg in maths I felt so relieved after seeing those grade boundaries 😂😂.
    3)dnt make notes on stuffnot in maths..Apply mathematical knowledge.Watch a video on how to do something.Find a question on that Thing.answer. Repeat.

Good luck on Wednesday and Monday.
    No your right and many people have told me to calm myself down, when i walked out a number of other students where saying how hard it was. So at least i was not alone, the one thing that has annoyed me a little, i have been doing a lot of past papers to get my head around layout and questions ect . . .
    But it seemed like this paper was nothing like the previous, so today i have done a past calculator paper, getting a rather good mark, but unless the paper tomorrow reflects that a little, i'm worried i will struggle again.

Any tips on major calculator things to revise?

ReputationRep:
    No your right and many people have told me to calm myself down, when i walked out a number of other students where saying how hard it was. So at least i was not alone, the one thing that has annoyed me a little, i have been doing a lot of past papers to get my head around layout and questions ect . . .
    But it seemed like this paper was nothing like the previous, so today i have done a past calculator paper, getting a rather good mark, but unless the paper tomorrow reflects that a little, i'm worried i will struggle again.

Any tips on major calculator things to revise?
    sorry if this seems rude but can I ask what tier ur doing? H or F?
    Also what did u get in summer if you dont mind me asking.Also what grade you looking for.

Btw its actually impressive that u were able to answer 24/30 I managed to do 28.5 and still ran out of time.Tbh were not allowed watches tho and the clock is reallly far away..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkDeathRider)
    sorry if this seems rude but can I ask what tier ur doing? H or F?
    Also what did u get in summer if you dont mind me asking.Also what grade you looking for.

Btw its actually impressive that u were able to answer 24/30 I managed to do 28.5 and still ran out of time.Tbh were not allowed watches tho and the clock is reallly far away..
    I'm am doing foundation, i am an external student as i'm 30!
    I need a C and i am training to become a teacher and cannot get in teacher training programme without C's across the board.
    My local college has allowed me to take my exams there, but i have not taken any summer exams only past papers and mocks, which i averaged 74 out of 100.

ReputationRep:
    I need a C and i am training to become a teacher and cannot get in teacher training programme without C's across the board.
    My local college has allowed me to take my exams there, but i have not taken any summer exams only past papers and mocks, which i averaged 74 out of 100.
    I always end up with 80+ marks in practice papers and mocks, but when I get into the real thing - its nothing like the mocks. I did the same exam board as you and I felt it has some challenges. Good luck tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeonVH)
    I always end up with 80+ marks in practice papers and mocks, but when I get into the real thing - its nothing like the mocks. I did the same exam board as you and I felt it has some challenges. Good luck tomorrow!
    Thank you, are you taking re-sits as well?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for l8 reply.Im not sure I can help you since your doing a different tier.Best I can say is dont panic.gl

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.