Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to University in september, to Liverpool and im going with someone i know. We were never best friends but i always got on with him ok so i reckon i can get on pretty well with him at uni. Only problem is, on the first night of freshers week, the first night we all move in is a quiz night. I think itll be lame and dont wanna go and think itll just be all nerds and itd be more fun to either chill out in the bar at halls, go to the union or head into liverpool. It gets worse. Hes arranged to meet some people off www.newstudent.org as well and i think the sort of people who arrange to meet people at uni before they even get there over the internet will be v clingy and not the sort of people i wanna know. So, a little advice please because i dont want to condemn either option.

And for all you losers who pick apart peoples threads:

1. I'm not some loser at home in the middle of the day posting on an internet forum. Im at work, bored.

2. i do not condemn the people that use newstudent.org. I dont hate you, i just think its a bit nerdy.

and finally 3. stop trying to pick apart my posts and have these radical views and be cool, and try giving some advice like people used to here.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you're going to get the replies you want when that post practically insulted most people on here...!!

ReputationRep:
    Go to the Union and say you really want to see it. If it were my friends, they would understand.

If you really dont want to be mates with this guy and fall into his 'crowd' just have him as an affiliate, you can always make a tonne of new mates cant you?

ReputationRep:
    a quiz night isnt nerdy.. and whts wrong wid deciding to meet people before uni starts?

ReputationRep:
    as you will all be new you might as well go to the quiz and at least give the people a chance. i doubt you'll dislike all of them.

if you make a few new friends it will be a successful exercise. im sure you can manage 1 night, u might even find out its not too bad

ReputationRep:
    you just broke rule 3. So yeah youre probably right, but ive asked politely, and youve ignored it anyway so ive just proven my own point. you can bend over backwards and try to be nice to get some help on this forum and some idiot will trample your point anyway.

(applies only to my first reply)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Go to the Union and say you really want to see it. If it were my friends, they would understand.

If you really dont want to be mates with this guy and fall into his 'crowd' just have him as an affiliate, you can always make a tonne of new mates cant you?
    i dont wanna not be mates with him though, he can be a bit geeky but hes an ok guy, hes jusst really nervous so hes trying to be all controlling and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    go to the quiz night.. nerdy people can be quite useful.. trust me i am one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nidz)
    go to the quiz night.. nerdy people can be quite useful.. trust me i am one

Helpful in the way that they can setup my internet for me when i get there, not so helpful when i go to a club and try to pull and they go to a girl "OMFG do you like teh linux?!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    you just broke rule 3. So yeah youre probably right, but ive asked politely, and youve ignored it anyway so ive just proven my own point. you can bend over backwards and try to be nice to get some help on this forum and some idiot will trample your point anyway.
    Oh, please don't make me cry...my whole life is this forum, after all :rolleyes:

In response to your question, do what YOU want..it's YOUR life, you don't have to do anything you don't want to. You will probably meet people on the first day who will want to do the same as you (go to the bar/union) instead of the quiz thing, whereas your friend might meet people who want to go to the quiz....you can always go to the bar first with your new friends and then meet up with him and his geeky friends later or vice-versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Oh, please don't make me cry...my whole life is this forum, after all :rolleyes:

In response to your question, do what YOU want..it's YOUR life, you don't have to do anything you don't want to. You will probably meet people on the first day who will want to do the same as you (go to the bar/union) instead of the quiz thing, whereas your friend might meet people who want to go to the quiz....you can always go to the bar first with your new friends and then meet up with him and his geeky friends later or vice-versa.
    danke.

ReputationRep:
    Then just dont hang out with him often.

ReputationRep:
    In freshers just go to everything and meet everyone- then you have a wider choice of friends

Ruthie xx

ReputationRep:
    geeks invented this forum software, and the internet it runs on.

be thankful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    geeks invented this forum software, and the internet it runs on.

be thankful
    lol yeah, i bet people thank them all the time, but i wonder how many are married or have lives? ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    lol yeah, i bet people thank them all the time, but i wonder how many are married or have lives? ;D
    stereotypes anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    I'm going to University in september, to Liverpool and im going with someone i know. We were never best friends but i always got on with him ok so i reckon i can get on pretty well with him at uni. Only problem is, on the first night of freshers week, the first night we all move in is a quiz night. I think itll be lame and dont wanna go and think itll just be all nerds and itd be more fun to either chill out in the bar at halls, go to the union or head into liverpool. It gets worse. Hes arranged to meet some people off www.newstudent.org as well and i think the sort of people who arrange to meet people at uni before they even get there over the internet will be v clingy and not the sort of people i wanna know. So, a little advice please because i dont want to condemn either option.

And for all you losers who pick apart peoples threads:

1. I'm not some loser at home in the middle of the day posting on an internet forum. Im at work, bored.

2. i do not condemn the people that use newstudent.org. I dont hate you, i just think its a bit nerdy.

and finally 3. stop trying to pick apart my posts and have these radical views and be cool, and try giving some advice like people used to here.
    Figure out what you want to do and then convince him to do it with you. You shouldn't do something you don't want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    :rolleyes: ur the one askin 4 advice here buddy, neway y does it matter wot this 'mate' is doin? be independent, like the other person said, do what u wanna do, and quit with the whole geek thing, its old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yeah)
    Tim Berners-Lee is married

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    Tim Berners-Lee is married
    And there he is with his beautiful wife:

http://www.cerncourier.com/objects/1999/web2_9-99.jpg

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.