Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel like Im incapable to complete any of my coursework. Im studying computer science so its mainly programming which I struggle with I can be sitting whole day over 1 assignment and I would get nothing done cause its too confusing for me and I can't get my head around it, I find it difficult to come up with any solutions myself so I mainly end up looking for similar solutions for the related work which comes under plagiarism if I do so. What should I do in my situation?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    May I ask what exam board and specification you are doing?

For AQA GCSE, you are allowed to look at similar projects as part of research and tailor them if you credit them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ns_2)
    May I ask what exam board and specification you are doing?

For AQA GCSE, you are allowed to look at similar projects as part of research and tailor them if you credit them.
    Im 2nd year Bsc Undergraduate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeveloperCSS)
    Im 2nd year Bsc Undergraduate.
    Have you been to see a personal tutor at all? Most of the time the source of these problems can be a fundamental misunderstanding about the way something works - and this can be easily remedied with a short discussion. Course coordinators and personal tutors are genuinely there to help, so drop them an email and they'll probably set up a meeting and hopefully rectify the underlying issue. Try to do this earlier rather than later so you're not left with an awkward fait accompli - I've been the student who emails a tutor two or three days before submission date saying 'I don't understand'. It doesn't go down to well! Get in early.

What kind of task is it you're doing; I know you say it's programming, but is it something that any of us can give a vague pointer with?

Also, sitting there won't get you anywhere - I learned that the hard way! When I did my undergraduate computing degree I spent many hours, early on, staring at a screen wishing it'd solve itself (it doesn't). Develop a habit of getting up, grabbing a bottle of water or a coffee. Just walk somewhere, get a breather and come back to it with a fresh brain. A fifteen minute break can honestly make the world of difference to how well you approach a problem. It's a habit I've carried through to postgraduate computing, and it's been my saving grace at times.

Also, if you have a rough idea of what you're to do, but don't know how to implement it in whatever language you're programming it in, split it down into little bits and then pseudocode it first. Then implement it thereafter. Getting the logic is the key, let implementation and syntax follow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolver72)
    What kind of task is it you're doing; I know you say it's programming, but is it something that any of us can give a vague pointer with?

I know what I need to do its just the difficult part is to get to figuring out code for it.

ReputationRep:
    Unable to complete.
    Incapable of completing.

Yes you can complete. You just need some strategies, and the sooner the better.

ReputationRep:
    I know what I need to do its just the difficult part is to get to figuring out code for it.
    Psuedocode it, and then implement it in code. What language are you programming in?

If you're struggling with the syntax of the language - which I would argue is the issue if you're saying that you know what you're doing, but it's just getting it into code - then that's simply a case of practice makes perfect. Programming is very similar to learning a foreign language. You might understand what you mean, and what you want to say (so, in coding terms what you want to implement) but the grammar (or in coding; syntax) of the language just simply comes with use.

I programmed in Java throughout my undergraduate, and I wouldn't have called myself competent in Java until around 3rd into 4th year.

ReputationRep:
    Psuedocode it, and then implement it in code. What language are you programming in?
    Bash

ReputationRep:
    Bash
    I'm only fairly loosely familiar with Bash, but I know there's plenty of help available on Bash specifically on the Ubuntu Community Help pages under 'Bash'.

Without any context, none of us are going to be able to offer any other help, and any tips and tricks are going to be strictly anecdotal. But I'd stand by what I said in my original response:

- Contact either your course coordinator or personal tutor, notify them of your concerns.

- You say that you know what you're doing, but struggle to put it into code. I would say with command line type languages, your best bet is to write down logical steps in English and then translate it to Bash at a later step, from each of your logical steps.

- You said that you can spend all day and get nothing done. Take more frequent breaks. Go a walk, get some food, speak to a tutor. Anything, just to come back to it fresh.

These are about the only things any of us will be able to properly advise you on, as we have no context about the problem, and Bash is quite an unusual language choice, I'd have thought, for a university assignment.

Good luck either way. Go speak to a tutor, honestly, it's far safer to do that sooner rather than later.

ReputationRep:

Without any context, none of us are going to be able to offer any other help, and any tips and tricks are going to be strictly anecdotal.
    Its literally just getting bash to count occurrence of every palindrome in a text file and count them in descending order.

ReputationRep:
    Its literally just getting bash to count occurrence of every palindrome in a text file and count them in descending order.
    Entertaingly, there’s a question on StackOverflow about exactly this problem, posted last week. Your teacher appears to have replied stating that the question being posted online violates plagiarism regulations. However, the teacher has said if anyone has issues with the assignment to approach him/her! (No, genuinely, I’m not joking! - see bottom response in attached image!). I’m reluctant to link the page here, as I feel that kind of defeats the purpose of your teacher asking for it to be removed - but it’s easy enough to find. I think this simply reiterates what I said earlier: go see your module coordinator and they’ll help out!
    Attached Images

Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.