Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I’m in year nine now and about to choose my options for gcse. I really want to be a doctor or at least have a job in a hospital and I have good grades (on average about a 7c) but I’m not sure what subjects to take and have no clue where to start. What do universities look at more the grade or the subject? And should I take subjects that I enjoy but aren’t particularly brilliant at or just stick to what I’m good at?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Triple science is a good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    not really...
    You can pick anything from your options...doesnt really matter
    would highly recommend triple science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiraa2003)
    Hey, I’m in year nine now and about to choose my options for gcse. I really want to be a doctor or at least have a job in a hospital and I have good grades (on average about a 7c) but I’m not sure what subjects to take and have no clue where to start. What do universities look at more the grade or the subject? And should I take subjects that I enjoy but aren’t particularly brilliant at or just stick to what I’m good at?
    Universities don't really look at the specific GCSE option that you choose. I would advise you to pick subjects based on your ability and enthusiasm in the subject. Medical universities only look for a good set of results and not specifically the subject so taking subjects that you are strong at will help you achieve good set of results.

In short: Do not stress too much about what options are relevant to a medical career, because you will be doing them anyway as core subjects. Just pick what you enjoy and are good at.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keslo)
    I agree, however doing double science will not be a disadvantage. Only 1 less GCSE qualification.

ReputationRep:
    doesn't matter m8

ReputationRep:
    I'd say don't worry too much about GCSE options. If you enjoy science, take triple and any other subjects that you enjoy and try to get the best grades possible

ReputationRep:
    Just take the subjects you enjoy and that will get you into the A Level courses you need (biology and chemistry mainly) as most sixth forms have some form of requirement. Other than that don't stress! Take what you like and what you're good at, unis don't look at specific subjects beyond the core you have to take anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Only thing I’d choose is triple science and the others pick easy subjects - ones which you can get an A* or whatever you call it nowadays 8/9 . As I’m applying to do medicine and all it says on most entry requirements is how many top grades a candidate needs

ReputationRep:
    And you’ll get stupid teachers saying pick a language but if your not good at a language don’t pick it or telling you to pick history - don’t pick it if your not good at it . You probably understand what I’m saying : play to your strengths
    Hope this helps ! !

ReputationRep:
    Triple Science definitely, and full course pe will be very useful for human anatomy. A friend of mine just got into Cambridge medicine, and was told that either biology or pe are the most crucial subjects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keslo)
    Yeah thank you I’m pretty good at science so i think I will defo take it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK???)
    And you’ll get stupid teachers saying pick a language but if your not good at a language don’t pick it or telling you to pick history - don’t pick it if your not good at it . You probably understand what I’m saying : play to your strengths
    Hope this helps !
    Thank you my teacher keeps telling me to pick French and I’m good at it but I’m just not very confident when speaking the language😞

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ensorcell)
    Triple Science definitely, and full course pe will be very useful for human anatomy. A friend of mine just got into Cambridge medicine, and was told that either biology or pe are the most crucial subjects!
    Thank you I was honking about pe but I have an illness atm that stops me from being able to do it and will do for quite some time but thank you I will definently take triple science

ReputationRep:
    year 9? chill out m8 go play some games your gcse's don't matter as long as you do science

ReputationRep:
    do what you enjoy because gcses don’t matter that much
    most medicine courses want at least a B (i don’t know what it is in numbers terms sorry!) in maths and english language and they tend to prefer triple science, especially if you drop physics for example at a level but apart from these do what you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiraa2003)
    Thank you my teacher keeps telling me to pick French and I’m good at it but I’m just not very confident when speaking the language😞
    if you are good at it and you enjoy it maybe think about taking it because there isn’t that much speaking at gcse, and you will get used to it anyway. if you don’t enjoy french then i would say don’t take it but if you do don’t give it up just because if speaking - that was me with spanish but now i’m doing it at a level and my uni course is joint honours with spanish

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.