Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to be better at basketball Watch

So i suck at my school basketball , everyone seems like a better player than me and i'm god awful , i'm 5`2 so i'm pretty short which puts me at a disadvantage against most over people . Do people have any tips on how to get better.

ReputationRep:
    If you're 5'2 you need to be realistic about your ability. Don't go into the post and try and avoid layups, unless there's a fairly open lane because at 5'2 you will just get blocked. I'd advise working mainly on passing and mid-range jumpers, you can also try to work on 3 pointers, but never rely on 3 pointers. Also, work on defence. If you become good at these things you can still be an asset to the team.

(Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    If you're 5'2 you need to be realistic about your ability. Don't go into the post and try and avoid layups, unless there's a fairly open lane because at 5'2 you will just get blocked. I'd advise working mainly on passing and mid-range jumpers, you can also try to work on 3 pointers, but never rely on 3 pointers. Also, work on defence. If you become good at these things you can still be an asset to the team.
    i can barely layup properly , i tried but it just dosen't work . Do u have any tips to get taller , i'm 16 btw

ReputationRep:
    If ur heights a disadvantage then use another attribute as an advantageous factor (e.g. speed, agility, accuracy etc). Practise makes perfect.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by N/A IS THE NAME)
    If ur heights a disadvantage then use another attribute as an advantageous factor (e.g. speed, agility, accuracy etc). Practise makes perfect.
    i'm kindddd of chubby aswell , i think i need to change everything about me , what u think

ReputationRep:
    U can be chubby and short but still be good at basketball- just practise as much as u can. If u need to work on ur fitness, put ur head down and work hard to improve it first- and then work on ur basketball skills.

(Original post by N/A IS THE NAME)
    U can be chubby and short but still be good at basketball- just practise as much as u can. If u need to work on ur fitness, put ur head down and work hard to improve it first- and then work on ur basketball skills.
    yeh i need to change my fitness game , any tips on how to be fitter , apart the usual eat healthy and exercise method
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I have been playing basketball for almost 3 years now. Fractured my left wrist twice while playing rugby and that is my shooting arm as well so I have had a lot of setbacks. However, one thing I never stop doing is to practice and train. I do 30-40 minutes of basketball everyday except for days when I have excessive work. 5 minutes shooting from 3 yards away just to get warmed and 5 minutes just dribbling. 10 minutes on layups. 10 minutes on doing defending practice which is useful to do if you have a friend playing with you. And the last 10 minutes, I do 3 pointers. I could at one stage get 9/10 3-pointers and that was purely from hardwork. The thing for you to understand is that you need to practice and work hard. Jut because you are small doesn't mean you are useless. You can be the point guard or simply a playmaker. Get the ball and direct your team and make neat passes into pockets of space to get the other players on your team closer to the basket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    yeh i need to change my fitness game , any tips on how to be fitter , apart the usual eat healthy and exercise method
    CleverSquirrel 5'3" Bballer and fit freak, this thread's for you

(Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    I have been playing basketball for almost 3 years now. Fractured my left wrist twice while playing rugby and that is my shooting arm as well so I have had a lot of setbacks. However, one thing I never stop doing is to practice and train. I do 30-40 minutes of basketball everyday except for days when I have excessive work. 5 minutes shooting from 3 yards away just to get warmed and 5 minutes just dribbling. 10 minutes on layups. 10 minutes on doing defending practice which is useful to do if you have a friend playing with you. And the last 10 minutes, I do 3 pointers. I could at one stage get 9/10 3-pointers and that was purely from hardwork. The thing for you to understand is that you need to practice and work hard. Jut because you are small doesn't mean you are useless. You can be the point guard or simply a playmaker. Get the ball and direct your team and make neat passes into pockets of space to get the other players on your team closer to the basket.
    wow that is really good advice , i wish i had somewhere to practice though outside of training sessions , i cant go in our sports hall because only people in the 1st team are allowed there not during training
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Be tall and black.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    wow that is really good advice , i wish i had somewhere to practice though outside of training sessions , i cant go in our sports hall because only people in the 1st team are allowed there not during training
    Are there no other basketball hoops near your area? Maybe in the park? Or try talking to your teacher, they might let you.

(Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    Are there no other basketball hoops near your area? Maybe in the park? Or try talking to your teacher, they might let you.
    good idea actually , thanks

ReputationRep:
    practice your handles, YT has loads of great mini games and drills you can practice and work on your foot work etc!
    gym helps with strength and range, but you just gotta practice!! eden3 ?

ReputationRep:
    Lol thats literally wat u have to do to get fitter.

ReputationRep:
    So i suck at my school basketball , everyone seems like a better player than me and i'm god awful , i'm 5`2 so i'm pretty short which puts me at a disadvantage against most over people . Do people have any tips on how to get better.
    Given that your limited to being a guard, focus on handles (spider dribbles are great ror this), passing (when you play with others), and train on hitting floaters and getting creative around the rim i.e advanced reverse layups kinda like what kyrie irving does

ReputationRep:
    Sleep every night with your feet in a Grobag from B&Q.

(Original post by HeadHoncho)
    Given that your limited to being a guard, focus on handles (spider dribbles are great ror this), passing (when you play with others), and train on hitting floaters and getting creative around the rim i.e advanced reverse layups kinda like what kyrie irving does
    ah ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, like anything, just lots of practice. But also it may help to learn the theory of the game, the rules, best tactics etc. Watch basketball games and YT videos etc

(Original post by Avaia)
    Honestly, like anything, just lots of practice. But also it may help to learn the theory of the game, the rules, best tactics etc. Watch basketball games and YT videos etc
    yeh ok i've started to do that now , thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.