The Student Room Group

How to be better at basketball

Scroll to see replies

Reply 21
Check out the following youtube channels:

ILoveBasketballTV
ShotMechanics
Pro shot shooting system

first things first get your underhanded layups down. Practise finishing high off the glass.

And at your size you need to develop a jumpshot. It doesn't happen overnight. Takes weeks, months to get a consistent shot.

And work on your shooting mechanics. Shooting mechanics are much much more important than reps. Idgaf if you shoot 1000 shots a day - if you have a flat shot with no arc, and poor backspin, then you'll always be shooting bricks. Luckily, no-one is born a shooter and everyone can become one.

So practice having a high release (lock your elbow on your follow through and make sure your elbow is above your eye once your follow through is finished). Make sure your index finger or middle finger is in the middle of the ball when you shoot - you'll have to experiment a bit and find what is comfortable for you. Your guide hand should not be shooting the ball, BUT it should go towards your shooting hand and up with it (not the other way round, i.e. the shooting hand going towards guide hand) kind of like a magnet. Look at Reggie Miller's shooting form, or Ryan Anderson's shooting form. The left hand (off hand) comes towards the shooting hand for stability. You eventually want something like that, but it doesn't have to be to that extreme.

Anyway good luck.
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
So i suck at my school basketball , everyone seems like a better player than me and i'm god awful , i'm 5`2 so i'm pretty short which puts me at a disadvantage against most over people . Do people have any tips on how to get better.

I want a response to my long ass post lol

Quick Reply

Latest