Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I’m planning on studying PR and a media course and need help choosing which are the best universities from this list:

Birmingham City University
    Sheffield Hallam University
    Salford university
    Nottingham Trent university
    Manchester Metropolitan University

I am currently in my last year of sixth form and I am predicted ABB/ BBB.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Nottingham-Trent if I'm honest. Good reputation, good campus etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tixrna)
    Hi I’m planning on studying PR and a media course and need help choosing which are the best universities from this list:

Salford university

Why you going for polytechnics (nothing against them) are they the only ones doing that course? You can go for a Russell Group and get in.

ReputationRep:
    I’m focused on doing a purely PR course and it seems no Russell group uni offers that. On the other hand I am thinking of applying to Nottingham University and Sheffield university for a purely media degree which are Russell groups. Just out of that list I am wondering what to put as my other options as a back up

ReputationRep:
    I live in Sheffield and its a really nice city, with lots of facilities for students. Then again, I don't know what the uni itself is like with regards to teaching

ReputationRep:

Salford university

Top 3 out of those are definitely: Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham Trent and Manchester Met. For who's best out of them it's hard to say as they are on a very similar level. If I had to choose I'd say Nottingham Trent.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Salford university

For PR look for courses taught alongside accredited journalism degrees. You’ll be taught both sides of the coin which makes for better PR
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Salford university

Hey tixrna

Great to hear you are interested in NTU

My advice would be to write a list of what you would like out of your University experience. You've already managed to decide what course you would like to study, which is a great start!

First of all you may want to compare what modules are taught at the different uni's, although it will essentially be the same course there may be some different modules taught at different uni's. You can then decide if you think you'd like to study certain modules over others and hopefully this may begin to narrow down your list.

Other things to consider may be if you want to study at a city/campus university. A city university is a lot more spread out which normally means you will be in the heart of the city but university buildings may be spread out compared to being on campus where everything is close together.

And then leading on from this, it's important to remember that the university you choose will be a place you will live in for the next 3/4 years. It's important that you feel comfortable in the new city that you choose to live in.

Sometimes the only way to find this out is by going to open days and getting a feel for the place.

I hope this has helped! Good luck with your application and give me a shout if you have any questions :five:

Chris - NTU Rep

Connect with NTU
    Keep up with our daily stories on Facebook.

Follow our Twitter for student news.

Explore our campuses with Instagram.

See what life at NTU is like on our Youtube.

ReputationRep:
    I’m focused on doing a purely PR course and it seems no Russell group uni offers that. On the other hand I am thinking of applying to Nottingham University and Sheffield university for a purely media degree which are Russell groups. Just out of that list I am wondering what to put as my other options as a back up
    Okay that's fair enough, best to do what you enjoy rather than go for a good uni. I'm gonna say either Nottingham or Sheffield. Manchester Met is quite dull (I live in Manchester, it's shite).

And sorry I was wrong, Nottingham Trent and Sheffield Hallam and Manchester Met are FORMER polytechnics. My bad.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Salford university

Hi tixrna

It's good that a few people are giving you advice for your list of universities. But it's also great that you've narrowed it down as it is hard choosing a university for that specific course, coming from someone that studied Media. But like Chris said, you'll have to find a place that you will feel comfortable living and studying in.

Also you have to know that everyone's uni experience is different, so it is good knowing someone's experience but it better to actually see it for yourself. Once you have researched both universities courses, visit them, and then you'll be able to decide. Not only will it give you a taste of the university/course but it will be an eye opener for you to see if you want to spend your time studying there. :grin:

Let me know if you need any more help,

Reanne

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.