Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Quick question. I applied for my PGCE with two options, lets say A and B. I chose B because I thought I would be able to teach A when I qualified but I am really regretting this and wishing I had chosen to teach subject A because I have no passion for B, thinking I would enjoy it.

Can I change my subject? My current university doesn't offer subject A so could I transfer universities and subjects?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Once you have QTS you can teach any subject so it might be worth persevering and then you can apply for jobs in your preferred subject. You will have to work hard to sell yourself a bit more but it’s not impossible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    So it wouldn't be worth me changing and saving that hassle later on? Because I don't want to and won't want to teach the current subject I am in now. So it is making it hard to continue even with how difficult it already is... which I can manage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hmm1864)
    Hi all,

Quick question. I applied for my PGCE with two options, lets say A and B. I chose B because I thought I would be able to teach A when I qualified but I am really regretting this and wishing I had chosen to teach subject A because I have no passion for B, thinking I would enjoy it.

Can I change my subject? My current university doesn't offer subject A so could I transfer universities and subjects?

Thanks in advance!
    You should hopefully have someone you can talk to at your current university - a mentor, supervisor or similar, and it's worth talking to them. I don't think you'd be able to transfer to another uni this academic year as it's quite late; I expect you'd have to apply via UCAS now, for courses starting in September 2018.

As the other poster said, once you have QTS that is universal. But if the subject you're trained in and the subject you want to teach are completely different, then you might struggle to get your ideal job if you continue with your current PGCE, as you simply wouldn't have been trained for the right area and you'd be up against applicants that have been trained. If you're studying for, say, a History PGCE but want to teach Politics, then you'd probably be okay as the subjects are similar. But if it's a change any more dramatic than that, it's probably worth switching. Definitely talk to a supervisor or similar at your current university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.