Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When should I start revising for english literature? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

When should I start revising for english literature GCSE? My exam is on january 8th and I have already completed the poetry component as coursework and managed to achieve an A*.

Thank-you.

ReputationRep:
    I'd brush up on techniques now and try to spot them in texts and as the exam grows closer, gradually intensify your studying until you're spending the nights before the exam memorsising quotes and remembering techniques, most of which you should've already been able to cover in the time leading up to the exam. That way, you won't be cramming new knowledge into your head. Intensify as you grow closer but don't do hardcore studying until a few weeks before, just focus on spotting techniques for now and read over your pieces of literature

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sambeaz6)
    I'd brush up on techniques now and try to spot them in texts and as the exam grows closer, gradually intensify your studying until you're spending the nights before the exam memorsising quotes and remembering techniques, most of which you should've already been able to cover in the time leading up to the exam. That way, you won't be cramming new knowledge into your head. Intensify as you grow closer but don't do hardcore studying until a few weeks before, just focus on spotting techniques for now and read over your pieces of literature
    hello, thank-you very much for your response. i have already completed all of my analysis for the texts and so i guess i now just need to revise it. how long do you think i should spend doing this?

i am also pretty confident with the unseen analysis section of my language paper. thank-you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?Hannah?)
    hello, thank-you very much for your response. i have already completed all of my analysis for the texts and so i guess i now just need to revise it. how long do you think i should spend doing this?

i am also pretty confident with the unseen analysis section of my language paper. thank-you.
    I can't really say, this is something highly personal. I made sure I could recreate my analyses if I were to pull out a piece of paper mid way through a meal and write as much as I would need to succeed, without memorising my original work word for word but remembering its core points and structure. That's what you need for the exam.

I wouldn't worry about the unseen if you know your techniques well. We hadn't answered any exam questions on the unseen in school and I found it the easiest part. Just make sure your revision is highly spread out and spend what you feel comfortable revising for revising. There are thousands of hours between now and the exam, even the craziest amount of revision will barely make a dent in the mass of time you have to yourself.

Make sure your knowledge is flexible and you're able to expand upon what you know. Having a huge amount of memorised knowledge is not going to help you, being able to expand upon what you know will help you far more.

Sorry if I've gone in circles a bit but that's all I can really say for revision, don't cram, don't worry about time because there's plenty of it, don't make your revision miserable, don't remember useless knowledge. Hope this helps...sorry it was a bit too much wasn't it haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.