Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've been predicted: B,B,B in english lit, politics and sociology and i want to study english literature with creative writing at university.
    Now I know my predicted grades are pretty average but could you guys suggest any universities that offer this course and accept my predicted grades but are also considered good ranking unis.
    Also... I would prefer unis that are highly ranked for social scenes and good nightlife.
    finally does a universities reputation really matter?
    I would really appreciate any replies.

Thanks!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherchica)
    Hi,
    I've been predicted: B,B,B in english lit, politics and sociology and i want to study english literature with creative writing at university.
    Now I know my predicted grades are pretty average but could you guys suggest any universities that offer this course and accept my predicted grades but are also considered good ranking unis.
    Also... I would prefer unis that are highly ranked for social scenes and good nightlife.
    finally does a universities reputation really matter?
    I would really appreciate any replies.

Thanks!!
    Rankings aren't everything, it's better to pick a university you would be happy with rather than picking it just for it's ranking. Apart from nightlife what is important to you?

ReputationRep:
    The which.universty website is great for finding the course right for you. You can simply enter your predicted grades and the course you would like to do and it will give a list of the different universities you meet the requirements to that need a BBB or something very close.

I've already done this for you so here's the link for your course:

https://university.which.co.uk/searc...t%5D=relevance

As for nightlife, there are many websites where graduates have rated the nightlife they've had whilst at the University. I remember London Met always being high up in any of those lists and luckily that's one of the Uni's on the which university website you can choose from!

Nightlife rankings:

https://university.which.co.uk/advic...student-survey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Rankings aren't everything, it's better to pick a university you would be happy with rather than picking it just for it's ranking. Apart from nightlife what is important to you?
    having a range of modules that are diverse and interesting. I've liked a couple of unis for their module such as: Cardiff, goldsmiths and manchester metropolitan
    however cardiff requires: ABB and Goldsmiths is in London so it's too expensive for me to live in london and I have heard countless reviews that MMU is ****.

ReputationRep:
    having a range of modules that are diverse and interesting. I've liked a couple of unis for their module such as: Cardiff, goldsmiths and manchester metropolitan
    however cardiff requires: ABB and Goldsmiths is in London so it's too expensive for me to live in london and I have heard countless reviews that MMU is ****.
    Ye met is trash tier

ReputationRep:
    The entry requirements usually aren't too high for creative writing. Queen Mary is a Russel group university and the entry requirements are ABB, which is higher than your predicated but not impossible. Sunderland has BBB, Brunel has BBB, Huddersfield has BBB. Lincoln has entry requirements of BBC. Manchester, Birmingham, Nottingham and other Russell groups are around the highest with AAB-AAA. I guess it's just a case of finding unis in areas you want to study in, and then figuring out entry requirements when you've got a list

ReputationRep:
    yo what do you guys think of uni of brighton?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi justanotherchica

We know it can be very difficult deciding on a University! Have you been to any Open Days yet? They can be a great way to have a look at the University’s facilities, check out the location or meet current students to find out more about student life :] There are also lots of Open Days coming up in the next few weeks, so perhaps you could visit a few universities that you are interested in?

If you did want to visit Huddersfield, we offer a range of courses including English Literature with Creative Writing BA(Hons) that you mentioned that you’re interested in. Our entry requirements for this course are BBB :] Our next Open Days are the 8th November or the 1st December.

Good luck with your visits and you can ask us any questions you have any time.

ReputationRep:
    yo what do you guys think of uni of brighton?
    My sister is going there at the moment and has now started her second year there. Do you have any questions you'd like me to ask her about the University? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.H.Rahman)
    My sister is going there at the moment and has now started her second year there. Do you have any questions you'd like me to ask her about the University? :P
    what is she studying? What are the lecturers like? Is it really expensive to live there? How is the social life there? does it have a good rep?

ReputationRep:
    If I was you, I'd go to a university which you think will boost your career chances and one which has the best modules for you rather than one with the best nightlife/social setting.

Think about it, you'll probably be in University for three years but your decision will influence like loads of years of your life. Nightlife and social settings are probably a parameter I'd put as a non-priority if i was you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    justanotherchica
    There's a lot to take into account as you're looking at universities (as I'm sure you're aware). However, you know what course you want to study which is a good place to start. What I would do, is choose which region you want to live/study in. Living costs vary greatly, and this may have an impact on your experience.

If you can narrow down your options, you will be able to research them in further detail until you have a selection of good options.

From there it's definitely worth getting down to the area and seeing what atmosphere the city has. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly if it's your kind of place or not. Have a look at the accommodation, go to an open day, compare the units that different unis offer, speak to current students/ lecturers and then you'll be in the best position to make a decision.

If you want some advice from a student studying English and Creative Writing I can put you in touch with someone.

I hope it all goes well and you find the right course for you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.