Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question for people successful at assessment centres Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

I have been invited to attend a civil service assessment centre. I've never had to do one of these days before. I currently work for civil service in the equivalent of an HEO role but it is a technical profession so I only had to pass an application and standard interview for my current job.

My 2 questions are to people who have passed assessment centres previously (current civil servants or people who passed fast stream/other civil service assessment centres last year):

1) Did you do any practice tests prior to the day?
    2) If so, which test providers did you find most beneficial?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much if you are already an HEO grade.

The assessment centre will ask you to perform in three tasks, all of which are supposed to be in a work like environment. You already have that experience, so have more skills that many others who sit the same assessment center. Best advice I can give you is to treat it like a new job, at HEO grade, and deal with the tasks in that mindset.

I'm assuming you have already been by now, but if not - that is my advice.

If you have attended, I hope it went well

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply. I had the assessment centre last week. They were assessing over 200 people for only 40 posts and I actually found it very challenging. My current "HEO" post is technical and I wasn't recruited on the usual civil service competencies - there are separate technical competencies for my job. So all the civil service tasks/competencies are completely new to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.