Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA Product Design Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I am struggling on earning a decent grade on Product Design at A level, I am doing well in my other subjects (A*- A) but in design i'm at a C at best... what ways can I improve? What tips can you give to someone on working on their sketchbook? Presentation tips? Drawing tips? Ideally if you studied Product Design, How did you get on? How did you earn the grade you got? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

ReputationRep:
    Wow another Product Design thread! Watching this thread also, again, nice to know someone is experiencing my product design pain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_miah)
    Wow another Product Design thread! Watching this thread also, again, nice to know someone is experiencing my product design pain.
    It's difficult to come up with ideas and develop them, i'm currently studying it for A levels and to me it was a huge regret when I could have progressed much better in another subject like IT or Accounting. I guess it's too late to back away now, got to get the best grade possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielHC10)
    It's difficult to come up with ideas and develop them, i'm currently studying it for A levels and to me it was a huge regret when I could have progressed much better in another subject like IT or Accounting. I guess it's too late to back away now, got to get the best grade possible!
    what exam board are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piamiahh)
    what exam board are you?
    AQA- "Art & Design: 3D Design" Product Design (3D Design Specification)

ReputationRep:
    AQA- "Art & Design: 3D Design" Product Design (3D Design Specification)
    Awesome! So what are you struggling with? is it the coursework or the theory? Also how did u do in the AS?

ReputationRep:
    Awesome! So what are you struggling with? is it the coursework or the theory?
    The coursework in particular, just struggling to come up with creative ideas as well as drawing. Currently at a Grade C but need as I am predicted a Grade B, some improvements must be made. As this is the new specification there is no theory, all coursework and no AS examination.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Welcome Squad

The coursework in particular, just struggling to come up with creative ideas as well as drawing. Currently at a Grade C but need as I am predicted a Grade B, some improvements must be made.
    from an ideas perspective try to get rid of the filter of 'that wont work' yes it might not work (especially as school environments and equipment are quite restricting) but just get it all down, you can always develop your ideas later to make them more feesible. Also bear in mind that you arent going to make any of the ideas bar one, as long as you have a couple of realistic ones if a couple are a bit 'out there' it doesnt matter too much. In terms of drawing there are a tonne of tutorials online, make sure you practise and you will get the hang of it
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    The coursework in particular, just struggling to come up with creative ideas as well as drawing. Currently at a Grade C but need as I am predicted a Grade B, some improvements must be made.
    So far for the pages I've done for the CW are A grades.
    Here are my tips:

So for my pages I created a consistent border which I find aesthetically pleasing and I'm sure you've made your border already. You really have to make sure that every page looks good. They really care about first impression of the page and so presentation has to be on point.

My no.1 tip for you is to fricken bullshiz as much as you can when you are doing the research pages. Literally write as much as you can trying to think about everything that links to it. Just keep blabbing on but keep relevant!

When you're doing your designs have decent sized drawings which are fine lined and coloured well. If you want the marks on the design pages you have to show possible development. Put arrows around it talking about how you would manufacture it, what colour, what process, material, joints etc. INCLUDE small drawings and please present it well. You of course have to annotate as much as you can and make it look busy. CW takes so long but its not actually as hard as you think. It also helps you out because if u get an A in the CW it will help your final grade after doing the exam.

Just BS BS BS and make sure it looks good!!!

ReputationRep:
    So far for the pages I've done for the CW are A grades.
    Here are my tips:

So for my pages I created a consistent border which I find aesthetically pleasing and I'm sure you've made your border already. You really have to make sure that every page looks good. They really care about first impression of the page and so presentation has to be on point.

My no.1 tip for you is to fricken bullshiz as much as you can when you are doing the research pages. Literally write as much as you can trying to think about everything that links to it. Just keep blabbing on but keep relevant!

When you're doing your designs have decent sized drawings which are fine lined and coloured well. If you want the marks on the design pages you have to show possible development. Put arrows around it talking about how you would manufacture it, what colour, what process, material, joints etc. INCLUDE small drawings and please present it well. You of course have to annotate as much as you can and make it look busy. CW takes so long but its not actually as hard as you think. It also helps you out because if u get an A in the CW it will help your final grade after doing the exam.

Just BS BS BS and make sure it looks good!!!
    Thanks for the advice! The information you have given me has helped me see where I need to make improvements. The borders for each page have been completed already and are consistant. I guess where I need to make changes is in drawing and annotation + slight changes to presentation. Thank you once again! Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    The coursework in particular, just struggling to come up with creative ideas as well as drawing. Currently at a Grade C but need as I am predicted a Grade B, some improvements must be made. As this is the new specification there is no theory, all coursework and no AS examination.
    Oh so you're doing the new spec..
    When you thinking of creative ideas for drawing you want to look for inspiration for example architecture. Think about what cool functions u want to add like rotation, sliding, folding, removable parts etc. Try to explore as many shapes as you can - hexagons, circles, squares, triangles. You cant be drawing designs that are all squares. They want to see new ideas and a variety. Just look at your surroundings and be inspired. You can also draw random shapes on paper and build on that. Think out of the box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    from an ideas perspective try to get rid of the filter of 'that wont work' yes it might not work (especially as school environments and equipment are quite restricting) but just get it all down, you can always develop your ideas later to make them more feesible. Also bear in mind that you arent going to make any of the ideas bar one, as long as you have a couple of realistic ones if a couple are a bit 'out there' it doesnt matter too much. In terms of drawing there are a tonne of tutorials online, make sure you practise and you will get the hang of it
    Good luck
    I see, I have been told to document everything but usually ignore ideas which seem "impossible" due to the complexity or limitations to the college workshops. Thanks for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice! The information you have given me has helped me see where I need to make improvements. The borders for each page have been completed already and are consistant. I guess where I need to make changes is in drawing and annotation + slight changes to presentation. Thank you once again! Best of luck
    No problem! Good luck to you

ReputationRep:
    Oh so you're doing the new spec..
    When you thinking of creative ideas for drawing you want to look for inspiration for example architecture. Think about what cool functions u want to add like rotation, sliding, folding, removable parts etc. Try to explore as many shapes as you can - hexagons, circles, squares, triangles. You cant be drawing designs that are all squares. They want to see new ideas and a variety. Just look at your surroundings and be inspired. You can also draw random shapes on paper and build on that. Think out of the box.
    Ahh right! Would it be useful to maybe have direct links to inspiration on my drawing pages such as put a small photo of where I got the inspiration from (ie. picture)? I have tried methods of rotations ect. but as they look slightly plain I need to think outside the box a little more and experiment with shapes and forms.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right! Would it be useful to maybe have direct links to inspiration on my drawing pages such as put a small photo of where I got the inspiration from (ie. picture)? I have tried methods of rotations ect. but as they look slightly plain I need to think outside the box a little more and experiment with shapes and forms.
    Yeah! it would show your development of ideas but be careful when presenting it. I guess another option is to comment next to your drawings saying that your "mood board has inspired you to...". Just keep experimenting with ideas

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.