Turn on thread page Beta

Ukvoltaire's Year 12 A-Level GYG Thread 2017-2018 watch

ReputationRep:

Introducing
    Ukvoltaire
    in his 1st GYG Thread!

About Me

Hello everyone, I am Ukvoltaire and I have finally decided to make a GYG Thread just because everyone else is doing it, so why can't I. I am currently in Year 12 and I chose Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics for my A-levels.

Maths, Biology and Chemistry will be done until Year 13, whereas I was meant to be doing a Physics AS. However, due to certain problems between the subject and me, I will be dropping Physics without even doing an AS so that I can concentrate more on the other 3 subjects.

My GCSE Results:

Maths: 8 (A*)
    English Language: 7(A)
    English Literature: 6 (B)
    Biology: A
    Chemistry: A*
    Physics: A
    R.S: A
    I.T: A
    Mandarin: A*
    French: B
    History: B

I think my GCSE results are not bad considering that I had a broken hand (my writing hand) during all my exams, therefore I couldn't achieve what I wanted to fully. But GCSE's are done and dusted now so yeah.

My Future Career/Ambition

As you might have guessed from my subject choices, I want to study medicine at university and become a successful doctor. As I understand the high requirement for medicine, I will make sure I put a lot of effort into my revision and making sure my revision is extremely effective

How has my sixth form been so far?

Not bad to be honest. I joined a new school for sixth form, so I was making sure I was getting used to it. I would not say that I am fully ready yet as some of my exams weren't so great. I did struggle in Physics extremely though to extent where it even caused trouble for my other subjects, therefore deciding to drop it.

What is my plan now?

Well, now that the half term is over, I will be starting to re-revise the topics again in order to refresh my memory. I have been organising my folders during the half-term. So through this thread you will be seeing my education experience during sixth form and how I grow during my years in sixth form.

Thank you for reading and hope you enjoy the thread!

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck 🎀

ReputationRep:

Day 1: Tuesday 31st October 2017 (Happy Halloween!)

Hey everyone, it's Ukvoltaire and I will be talking about how today at school went. Today I got my Biology essay back, which I didn't do as great as I could've. So I am made sure that during my Biology revision, I will spend some time actually working on writing essays as this is a 25 mark question in our paper. Also, I finally dropped Physics and will only be doing 3 A-levels, so I now I got extra frees! I will make sure these frees are used wisely by making sure I work on my 3 subjects effectively.

Also I created a new timetable in order to aid my revision for this halfterm:
    Name:  Timetable.PNG
Views: 295
Size:  31.1 KB

I have two timetables as I have a Week A and Week B timetable at school so I thought why not follow the same method. Just to clarify that this timetable is not my final, and will be rectified as the year goes on, when I get busy with work experience and other extracurricular activities.

At home today, I have done my maths and chemistry homework and I am currently doing some biology revison.

This has been my first post on my GYG thread (excluding the main thread itself) so I hope I wasn't too boring. Thank you for reading if you have and I will be back tomorrow with another GYG post.

Goodbye!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ukvoltaire)

Day 1: 31st October 2017 (Happy Halloween!)

Hey everyone, it's Ukvoltaire and I will be talking about how today at school went. Today I got my Biology essay back, which I didn't do as great as I could've. So I am made sure that during my Biology revision, I will spend some time actually working on writing essays as this is a 25 mark question in our paper. Also, I finally dropped Physics and will only be doing 3 A-levels, so I now I got extra frees! I will make sure these frees are used wisely by making sure I work on my 3 subjects effectively.

I have two timetables as I have a Week A and Week B timetable at school so I thought why not follow the same method. Just to clarify that this timetable is not my final, and will be rectified as the year goes on, when I get busy with work experience and other extracurricular activities.

At home today, I have done my maths and chemistry homework and I am currently doing some biology revison.

This has been my first post on my GYG thread (excluding the main thread itself) so I hope I wasn't too boring. Thank you for reading if you have and I will be back tomorrow with another GYG post.

Goodbye!
    Gosh your timetable looks busy! Do you not plan to take breaks?
    Also I noticed you did mandarin gcse, I'm taking it this year (old spec) and was wondering if you had any advice for getting an A*?
    Good luck with A-levels and medicine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    Gosh your timetable looks busy! Do you not plan to take breaks?
    Also I noticed you did mandarin gcse, I'm taking it this year (old spec) and was wondering if you had any advice for getting an A*?
    Good luck with A-levels and medicine!
    Thank you!

Yeah, my timetable is only rough and to be used as a guide. It also helps me have a clear idea of what to study. I will probably rectify the timetable like every week or so. Don't worry, I will have my breaks too.

For Mandarin, I did Edexcel and I found reading and listening the easiest. Just like you would do in any other languages, you need to practice the vocabulary so many times. I suggest using a good website called Memrise, where you can create flashcards and use it to test your self. Also Quizlet is a good website.
    I would also suggest that you create revision sheets for the vocabulary, with Hanzi, Pinyin and English. Luckily my teacher made them for us and I found them very useful.

Hope that helps and enjoy the GYG thread!

ReputationRep:

Day 1: 31st October 2017 (Happy Halloween!)

Goodbye!
    Are you in year 12, why are you revising for BMAT and UKCAT so early?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE 9)
    Are you in year 12, why are you revising for BMAT and UKCAT so early?
    Yeah I am in Year 12. Yeah I understand that it's early but really want to do good in these admission tests so that I get a really high score. Some universities treat BMAT like GCSE's so it is pretty important. Also, I want to be fully ready for these exams in a years time so I need to be practicing these a lot.

ReputationRep:

Day 2: Wednesday 1st November 2017 (Got my provisional driving licence!)

Hey everyone, it's Ukvoltaire and today I only had 1 lesson today at school. That lesson was Maths. I was supposed to have double Chemistry, but it got cancelled as the teacher was not it, so I spent my frees just doing my Maths Revision and researching about medical universities. I came home today and my provisional driving licence came today! I feel old now! So yeah, then I revised cell division and mitosis today and made some notes on it. And then I started revising chemistry by reviewing my notes that I made yesterday again.

Here are the notes I made:
    Name:  Biology notes.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  61.0 KB
    Sorry for the bad quality, I took this using my laptop camera because my phone has low battery! The notes are a bit rough but it still understandable for me.

I am beginning to feel more confident now that I dropped Physics, because not only is there less pressure, but also I can actually focus on getting good grades in the 3 subjects I am interested in.

Hopefully at the end of Year 13, I achieve at least AAA or A*AA. The universities I want to get in are either Imperial College London, UCL, Queens Mary University or Kings College. The reason for that is that these are really good universities and there are situated in London, which isn't far from where I live.

Since, I will be posting on this GYG thread like everyday (I will try), make sure you bookmark this thread.
    There are some things you will need to know about this thread that will be common everytime I post. They are:
    • Each post will start with the Day number and the actual Date along with some sort of tag line related to the day.
    • Each post will end with an interesting fact (as of this post) just to make sure the post isn't to boring.
    • I will make sure I say Goodbye at the end of each post.
    • My username will always be made bigger in red at the start.

That's it for today! Here is the first of many interesting facts that I will tell you.

INTERESTING FACT:Did you know that due to high surface tension, some animals such as pond skaters/jesus bugs can ACTUALLY WALK ON WATER!

Thank you for reading if you have and I will be back tomorrow with another GYG post.

Goodbye!

ReputationRep:

Day 2: Wednesday 1st November 2017 (Got my provisional driving licence!)

Hey everyone, it's Ukvoltaire and today I only had 1 lesson today at school. That lesson was Maths. I was supposed to have double Chemistry, but it got cancelled as the teacher was not it, so I spent my frees just doing my Maths Revision and researching about medical universities. I came home today and my provisional driving licence came today! I feel old now! So yeah, then I revised cell division and mitosis today and made some notes on it. And then I started revising chemistry by reviewing my notes that I made yesterday again.

Here are the notes I made:
    Name:  Biology notes.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  61.0 KB
    Sorry for the bad quality, I took this using my laptop camera because my phone has low battery! The notes are a bit rough but it still understandable for me.

I am beginning to feel more confident now that I dropped Physics, because not only is there less pressure, but also I can actually focus on getting good grades in the 3 subjects I am interested in.

Hopefully at the end of Year 13, I achieve at least AAA or A*AA. The universities I want to get in are either Imperial College London, UCL, Queens Mary University or Kings College. The reason for that is that these are really good universities and there are situated in London, which isn't far from where I live.

Since, I will be posting on this GYG thread like everyday (I will try), make sure you bookmark this thread.
    There are some things you will need to know about this thread that will be common everytime I post. They are:
    • Each post will start with the Day number and the actual Date along with some sort of tag line related to the day.
    • Each post will end with an interesting fact (as of this post) just to make sure the post isn't to boring.
    • I will make sure I say Goodbye at the end of each post.
    • My username will always be made bigger in red at the start.

That's it for today! Here is the first of many interesting facts that I will tell you.

INTERESTING FACT:Did you know that due to high surface tension, some animals such as pond skaters/jesus bugs can ACTUALLY WALK ON WATER!

Thank you for reading if you have and I will be back tomorrow with another GYG post.

Goodbye!
    It's so strange how similar my GCSE results and A-Level courses are! I also am an aspiring medic and I'm doing loads of work experience now so that I can focus more on my A-Levels in Yr 13. I am also looking at London unis as I like the city and I have a house there too but I don't live there. What's your advice on revision and handling 4 A-Levels (I'm already sinking in all the work I have) and are you also doing an EPQ? Sorry for bombarding you with info!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you!

Yeah, my timetable is only rough and to be used as a guide. It also helps me have a clear idea of what to study. I will probably rectify the timetable like every week or so. Don't worry, I will have my breaks too.

For Mandarin, I did Edexcel and I found reading and listening the easiest. Just like you would do in any other languages, you need to practice the vocabulary so many times. I suggest using a good website called Memrise, where you can create flashcards and use it to test your self. Also Quizlet is a good website.
    I would also suggest that you create revision sheets for the vocabulary, with Hanzi, Pinyin and English. Luckily my teacher made them for us and I found them very useful.

Hope that helps and enjoy the GYG thread!
    Thanks for the response! I'm doing edexcel this year and I find reading the easiest though I have my speaking exam soon I will definitely check out memrize it sounds pretty good and I have a loads of quizlet mandarin sets! Thank you again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolbeans63)
    It's so strange how similar my GCSE results and A-Level courses are! I also am an aspiring medic and I'm doing loads of work experience now so that I can focus more on my A-Levels in Yr 13. I am also looking at London unis as I like the city and I have a house there too but I don't live there. What's your advice on revision and handling 4 A-Levels (I'm already sinking in all the work I have) and are you also doing an EPQ? Sorry for bombarding you with info!
    I don't do an EPQ. I only do 3 A-Levels not 4. I was doing a 4th subject (Physics) but I decided to drop it because I wanted to focus on 3 subjects and get amazing grades, rather than do a Physics AS and risk doing bad in the other 3 subjects. My advice on revision would be to adapt to a new work ethic with A-levels and to improve on how you revised during GCSE's. It is good to see another aspiring medical applicant here on my thread. My aim (as I mentioned before) is to achieve amazing grades at A-level and get ready for medical school mentally and academically. Hopefully you'll will see how I 'grow' in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I don't do an EPQ. I only do 3 A-Levels not 4. I was doing a 4th subject (Physics) but I decided to drop it because I wanted to focus on 3 subjects and get amazing grades, rather than do a Physics AS and risk doing bad in the other 3 subjects. My advice on revision would be to adapt to a new work ethic with A-levels and to improve on how you revised during GCSE's. It is good to see another aspiring medical applicant here on my thread. My aim (as I mentioned before) is to achieve amazing grades at A-level and get ready for medical school mentally and academically. Hopefully you'll will see how I 'grow' in this thread.
    Thank you for responding. I think it's a good idea to do 3 A-Levels rather than 4 but it's a bit too late for me to drop it however I thoroughly enjoy the subjects I'm doing. My revision strategies seem to work temporarily then I don't seem to absorb any more and it worries me. I also have a few tests this week😓😓

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolbeans63)
    Thank you for responding. I think it's a good idea to do 3 A-Levels rather than 4 but it's a bit too late for me to drop it however I thoroughly enjoy the subjects I'm doing. My revision strategies seem to work temporarily then I don't seem to absorb any more and it worries me. I also have a few tests this week😓😓
    If you enjoy all 4, then there is no problem in doing 4 A-Levels. I completely hated Physics so I just had to drop it. Don't worry if your revision isn't going great at the moment. As the year goes on you will probably have a more clearer idea on how to revise. For A-Level high level of effort and effective revision = success. Hope this was somewhat motivational. By the way, what did you get in your GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy all 4, then there is no problem in doing 4 A-Levels. I completely hated Physics so I just had to drop it. Don't worry if your revision isn't going great at the moment. As the year goes on you will probably have a more clearer idea on how to revise. For A-Level high level of effort and effective revision = success. Hope this was somewhat motivational. By the way, what did you get in your GCSE's?
    I really want to continue with 4 till the end of Yr 13 but teachers are doubting me which is annoying and discouraging. With revision, I'm still finding an effective way to revise (I procrastinate TOO much) so that's going to take some time to do. As for my GCSEs, I got the exact same as you for Triple Science, Maths and both English exams. I also got a B in Economics, B in Child Development and an A in History (that surprised me the most as I got a D in a mock before my exam). They're not excellent but I have really high hopes and a strategic application should help me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am in Year 12. Yeah I understand that it's early but really want to do good in these admission tests so that I get a really high score. Some universities treat BMAT like GCSE's so it is pretty important. Also, I want to be fully ready for these exams in a years time so I need to be practicing these a lot.

how are you revising for UKAT &BMAT ? Like how did you start off revising ?
    Any useful websites or do you have any tips

What Uni are you planning to do medicine at ?
    Hope you the best in your A-levels !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK???)
    how are you revising for UKAT &BMAT ? Like how did you start off revising ?
    Any useful websites or do you have any tips

What Uni are you planning to do medicine at ?
    Hope you the best in your A-levels !
    Thank you!

Well, for UKCAT and BMAT, I am only doing light revision as I am only in Year 12. This means just getting an understanding of the test and gathering revision materials. I will definetly be using Medify as well as the ISC 400 BMAT Book and 1000 UKCAT book. Also I recommend using a Youtube channel called Senthooran Kath, which is ultimately the best channel when revising for UKCAT and BMAT. The youtube channel also gives a lot of helpful tips and the youtuber himself is in Cambridge.

The unis I am interested in are Imperial College London, Kings College London, Queens Mary University and UCL. Not only are they in London, but they also seem to have a good course structure, with Imperial, Kings and UCL having an integrated course.

Anyway, thanks for asking and be tuned for my Day 3 post at 10pm!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:

Day 3: Thursday 2nd November 2017 (The Medic Portal Talk)

Hey everyone, it's Ukvoltaire and today I had chemistry, maths and TRIPLE Biology! Since I came home a 6pm today, I didn't do much today. At school, a doctor that works with a website called the Medic Portal has came to our school to give a talk about applying to medical school. I honestly found the talk extremely helpful, and after checking out their website today, I am impressed!

Anyone who wants to apply for medical school should definitely check it out. The website includes loads of guides to help you with each aspect of the medical application such as personal statement, work experience etc. You can even make an account and make a record of all the work experience you have done. The website also includes some paid courses and includes case studies to help improve further understanding into the world of medicine. The Medic Portal also has a university comparison tool, which is really useful! I am pretty new to the website too, so hopefully I can gain a lot from it.

At home, I revised and consolidated my biology notes in class today about phospholipids and proteins. Whilst doing this, I discovered a really good youtube channel called Bozeman Science, which I think is really good. The host explains the concepts very nicely and has helped me understand the topic even more.

Here is a screenshot of the video that I watched:

Name:  screenshot.PNG
Views: 179
Size:  172.3 KB

It is good to see a lot of people replying to this thread asking questions! As I post everyday on this thread, you are welcome to ask me any questions or advice and I will try my best to answer. If you want to apply for medicine too, then check out these Youtube channels: Senthooran Kath and Ryhan Hussain. These channels are amazing mainly because the tips and advice are from current medical students who have been through the admission process and successfully got a place at good medical universities.

That's it for today! Interesting fact time!

INTERESTING FACT: Medical universities usually teach their course in either of these 3 ways: Traditional, Integrated and PBL (Problem based learning).

Goodbye!

ReputationRep:

Day 4: Friday 3rd November 2017 (Revision timetable changes undergoing!)

Hey everyone, it's Ukvoltaire and today I had only 2 lessons today, so I made sure I used my frees for a good revision. I came home today, and after realised that my revision timetable is refinining I am currently changing it. Therefore this post will be kept short, since I feel extremely tired (have to wake up 5:30AM every morning!) now.

Here is a preview of my half done revision timetable:

Name:  done.PNG
Views: 164
Size:  30.9 KB

INTERESTING FACT: When a month begins with Sunday, then there will be a Friday 13th in that month!

Goodbye!

ReputationRep:

Day 5: Saturday 4th November 2017 (
    Factorials!)

Hey everyone, it's Ukvoltaire and this will be another short one I believe. Since is the weekend, I decide to relax a bit and work on improving my revision timetable (will be done soon!). I didn't do much revision today apart from chemistry. Also, I came across a video on factorials, which is a topic that I learnt at school. It was uploaded by Numberphile and it explains how 0! is 1. Check out the video for more information. It is a very good video and do reccommend watching it!
    Here is a screenshot.
    Name:  actorial.PNG
Views: 182
Size:  307.8 KB

INTERESTING FACT: There are no naturally ocurring blue foods! Even blueberries are purple!

Goodbye!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.