Turn on thread page Beta

The letter L watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you always touch the tip of your tongue behind your top teeth when pronouncing the letter L?

I have just realised for words like ball, bill, wild my tongue sort of just floats or touches the bottom of my mouth for the L sound.

Also with words like sleep, slow, when i consciously put my tongue behind my top teeth it makes a sort of clinking sound and doesnt feel right. Same with any words that end with an s and the next word starts with an L.

Just a thought.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesmurphy1995)
    Do you always touch the tip of your tongue behind your top teeth when pronouncing the letter L?

I have just realised for words like ball, bill, wild my tongue sort of just floats or touches the bottom of my mouth for the L sound.

Also with words like sleep, slow, when i consciously put my tongue behind my top teeth it makes a sort of clinking sound and doesnt feel right. Same with any words that end with an s and the next word starts with an L.

Just a thought.

Thanks
    Ohmygodd I never noticed that! literaly been sat here for 5 mins just prounouncing all the 'L' words I can think of. An unusual yet interesting thought!:p:H

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    The letter L interestingly is very much based on accents.

The standard 'l' sound as in 'sleep' and 'slow' (which is written /l/ in IPA) is known linguistically as the alveolar lateral approximant.

The L as in 'ball', 'wild' and similar words which just 'float to the bottom of the mouth' are understandably usually after vowels, and, I believe, most prominent in southern English accents than the north - it's written /ɫ/.

I don't know if you wanted to know any of that. But hey, it's a fun thing to tell your friends.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Yup. It's how you make that sound. T is the same point in your mouth, further down your tongue. Th is tongue almost poking between your teeth. S is similar to T. etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    So the proper way to say sleep for example is to say the s sound then raise your tongue up to touch behind the top teeth?

Same with words like clear as well?

Poll
Do you have any savings?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.