Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do you always touch the tip of your tongue behind your top teeth when pronouncing the letter L?

I have just realised for words like ball, bill, wild my tongue sort of just floats or touches the bottom of my mouth for the L sound.

Also with words like sleep, slow, when i consciously put my tongue behind my top teeth it makes a sort of clinking sound and doesnt feel right. Same with any words that end with an s and the next word starts with an L.

Just a thought.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesmurphy1995)
    Do you always touch the tip of your tongue behind your top teeth when pronouncing the letter L?

I have just realised for words like ball, bill, wild my tongue sort of just floats or touches the bottom of my mouth for the L sound.

Also with words like sleep, slow, when i consciously put my tongue behind my top teeth it makes a sort of clinking sound and doesnt feel right. Same with any words that end with an s and the next word starts with an L.

Just a thought.

Thanks
    Ohmygodd I never noticed that! literaly been sat here for 5 mins just prounouncing all the 'L' words I can think of. An unusual yet interesting thought!:p:H

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    The letter L interestingly is very much based on accents.

The standard 'l' sound as in 'sleep' and 'slow' (which is written /l/ in IPA) is known linguistically as the alveolar lateral approximant.

The L as in 'ball', 'wild' and similar words which just 'float to the bottom of the mouth' are understandably usually after vowels, and, I believe, most prominent in southern English accents than the north - it's written /ɫ/.

I don't know if you wanted to know any of that. But hey, it's a fun thing to tell your friends.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Yup. It's how you make that sound. T is the same point in your mouth, further down your tongue. Th is tongue almost poking between your teeth. S is similar to T. etc etc etc

ReputationRep:
    So the proper way to say sleep for example is to say the s sound then raise your tongue up to touch behind the top teeth?

Same with words like clear as well?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.