Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what to do at university, I am literally crying my eyes out because there is nothing that seems to interests me, I like some things but I feel like they will not lead to a job in the future.
    I haven't done my personal statement
    I don't know what i want to do
    I was looking at psychology and just been put off by the amount of essays and I AM SO CRAP AT THIS because it is so time consuming for me to do
    Is university always so hard?
    Everything is due in tomorrow and I am sittin5here panicking because I HAVE NO IDEA at all
    Please can someone save me from this
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hey buddy same,
    I would suggest you write down what interests you then write down which of those interests are in a course then if it's a realistic course that'll lead to a job then pick that one. Then start looking at places that teach that course and pick your favourites. Then do your personal statement. Remember you still have till january to hand in the statement, people are only handing it in now to get their offers early so to speak. So stay calm on that front. I'll be writing mine up this week and i chose my course by just reading 40-odd prospectuses over the last 6 months. Yes, university is hard but they always stress the support network their to help you cope. When at uni your tutors will ideally support you to improve your essay writing skills, everything is a process and the most important we can be at this stage is to be calm and think rationally. Although i can't save you from this, remember that you're not alone and i for one am in the same boat as you. So shared struggle that you're not the only one experiencing this i hope should alleviate some of the pressure on you. Either way, good luck catching up.

ReputationRep:
    whats your alevel subject and what grades did you get at AS and what are your predictions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak_0213)
    whats your alevel subject and what grades did you get at AS and what are your predictions
    Bio chem maths (French alevel)
    ABAA* respectively
    I got a B in maths AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matwillis)
    Hey buddy same,
    I would suggest you write down what interests you then write down which of those interests are in a course then if it's a realistic course that'll lead to a job then pick that one. Then start looking at places that teach that course and pick your favourites. Then do your personal statement. Remember you still have till january to hand in the statement, people are only handing it in now to get their offers early so to speak. So stay calm on that front. I'll be writing mine up this week and i chose my course by just reading 40-odd prospectuses over the last 6 months. Yes, university is hard but they always stress the support network their to help you cope. When at uni your tutors will ideally support you to improve your essay writing skills, everything is a process and the most important we can be at this stage is to be calm and think rationally. Although i can't save you from this, remember that you're not alone and i for one am in the same boat as you. So shared struggle that you're not the only one experiencing this i hope should alleviate some of the pressure on you. Either way, good luck catching up.
    Aw thankyou for makingme feel better, i literally just threw up and feel awful :cry:
    My college wants me to submit my application on fridnay, and I was meant to hand in my PS tomorrow and I don't kmow what to say when my tutor will ask if I have it because he needs to check mine. I AM SO STRESSED AAAA it is making me feel suic*dal honestly :cry:

Ok so how do I kmow what interests me... Because i really don't know. It's been 2 or 3 months i really started to hate eveything and even my life tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Do STEM your grades are so fab!!

ReputationRep:
    Do STEM your grades are so fab!!
    I am going to be honest though :cry2: those grades are what the school predicts for me, i think i'll get A*BBC - A*ABC because this is so hard and I am already falling behind!!!! Aaaahhhh i hate life

ReputationRep:
    😂I am dying too, I got AAABB at as but got predicted AAA and my grades are going down recently so I hate my life too welcome to the club
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Seriously don't do this.

You expect to pick a subject to study for three years then write a personal statement by tomorrow? While it won't determine your whole life necessarily, it will open and close many doors to you. I'm not trying to make you panic, I'm trying to say that there's no way you can do this by tomorrow. Go to bed. Tell your school you don't know what you want to study and use the time you'd spend talking to your teacher about your PS instead talking to a career counselor and finding out what your options are. You don't have to go to university remember; you could get a job or do an apprenticeship. Picking some random subject out of thin air then deciding to study it and spending 50k doing so because it's "due tomorrow" is a very bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    😂I am dying too, I got AAABB at as but got predicted AAA and my grades are going down recently so I hate my life too welcome to the club
    I feel youuuu!!!!!!!!!!! Why do they make it so hard for us seriously I CANNOT cope anymore.
    What are you applying for?!?!

ReputationRep:
    Sociology and social policy or politics and sociology applied difference course at difference places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LunaCat)
    Aw thankyou for makingme feel better, i literally just threw up and feel awful :cry:
    My college wants me to submit my application on fridnay, and I was meant to hand in my PS tomorrow and I don't kmow what to say when my tutor will ask if I have it because he needs to check mine. I AM SO STRESSED AAAA it is making me feel suic*dal honestly :cry:

Ok so how do I kmow what interests me... Because i really don't know. It's been 2 or 3 months i really started to hate eveything and even my life tbh.

Oh God, hope you start feeling better. Right, well a good start is by looking at what you're taking right now. You have 2 sciences so maybe something in that field, become a scientist. I wouldn't know, i'm more into social sciences myself. My head can't grasp chemistry. But that's something. Or you can do something completely different, a friend of mine is doing coastal engineering, so grab a prospectus or a uni website and have a look at their courses more importantly read them!

That should give you an idea of what's available then write down the ones you like the sound of and start crossing them out until you find the one. My 6th form wants me to hand in my form tomorrow as well but it is NOT the deadline. They will still check your UCAS 1,2,3 weeks from now until you are ready to send it and as long as it it before January. They are only trying to speed up your decision making and get it over quickly so you can focus back on studies. Just say you're still deciding what course you want to do. They'll give you words of encouragement but that'll probably be it. You're stressing when you don't need to be, no decisions have been made yet. Surely you've heard those stories of kids deciding to go to uni only after they get their results so if they can still manage to get in that year then so will you.

No need to start feeling suicidal, just do 1 thing at a time. Have you spoken to your families and friends about how stressed you are. Once a month me and some mates that went to college meet and have a drink and just talk. Best thing you can do to really destress. Just talk to someone and hell if you don't have anyone then just send me a message. I'm always up for a chat.

ReputationRep:
    Oh God, hope you start feeling better. Right, well a good start is by looking at what you're taking right now. You have 2 sciences so maybe something in that field, become a scientist. I wouldn't know, i'm more into social sciences myself. My head can't grasp chemistry. But that's something. Or you can do something completely different, a friend of mine is doing coastal engineering, so grab a prospectus or a uni website and have a look at their courses more importantly read them!

That should give you an idea of what's available then write down the ones you like the sound of and start crossing them out until you find the one. My 6th form wants me to hand in my form tomorrow as well but it is NOT the deadline. They will still check your UCAS 1,2,3 weeks from now until you are ready to send it and as long as it it before January. They are only trying to speed up your decision making and get it over quickly so you can focus back on studies. Just say you're still deciding what course you want to do. They'll give you words of encouragement but that'll probably be it. You're stressing when you don't need to be, no decisions have been made yet. Surely you've heard those stories of kids deciding to go to uni only after they get their results so if they can still manage to get in that year then so will you.

No need to start feeling suicidal, just do 1 thing at a time. Have you spoken to your families and friends about how stressed you are. Once a month me and some mates that went to college meet and have a drink and just talk. Best thing you can do to really destress. Just talk to someone and hell if you don't have anyone then just send me a message. I'm always up for a chat.
    Phew yeah your right i need to chillaxx

ReputationRep:

And no my family will stress me out even more, they don't know about anything. My friends try their best but i just feel like a burden on them tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Seriously don't do this.

You expect to pick a subject to study for three years then write a personal statement by tomorrow? While it won't determine your whole life necessarily, it will open and close many doors to you. I'm not trying to make you panic, I'm trying to say that there's no way you can do this by tomorrow. Go to bed. Tell your school you don't know what you want to study and use the time you'd spend talking to your teacher about your PS instead talking to a career counselor and finding out what your options are. You don't have to go to university remember; you could get a job or do an apprenticeship. Picking some random subject out of thin air then deciding to study it and spending 50k doing so because it's "due tomorrow" is a very bad idea.
    You're right. I'm just afraid I will keep delaying it because 'it's 3 or 4 years of my life'
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    You're right. I'm just afraid I will keep delaying it because 'it's 3 or 4 years of my life'
    You don't need to necessarily delay it, just don't rush it becuase "it needs to be in by tomorrow". As the person above has said, that's your school deadline, not UCAS. So when you go to school tomorrow just tell them what you've said here that you really don't know what you want to do - and don't let anyone force you into anything. There's nothing wrong with not going to university if you don't want to. If you decide to become a plumber, go do an apprenticeship instead. Or get a job and work your way up that way. If you do want to go to university, do a lot of research into the different courses and where they can lead. I wouldn't advise doing something just because you find it interesting, yes, interest is important of course but for 50k you need some return on your investment (imo).

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I used this career compatibility test to help me figure a few things out. The site seems pretty legit. You need an email to sign up, but I have never been spammed by the site. Obviously it is not going to be 100% accurate, but if you answer everything honestly, it should give you ideas of careers that may interest you that you have not even thought of.

Linky - https://www.sokanu.com

The site is American, so bear that in mind when you take a look at career profiles.

ReputationRep:
    And no my family will stress me out even more, they don't know about anything. My friends try their best but i just feel like a burden on them tbh
    Well that's a shame but i guess i'm the same regarding family as well. I'll hopefully be the first in my immediate family to go to uni so no pressure lol.

Anyway, the role of a friend is to support each other. How is it to be a burden to spend an hour talking about how you feel about going to uni. It's a big deal. That's not being a burden that's just normal. At least in my friendship group it is anyway. Have they ever said that they didn't want to hear you express what you think, personally i doubt it. And if they fail there is always your tutor i guess, they're supposed to help you so might as well use 'em especially if they've gone to uni.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be brutally honest but I would say its best to apply for uni next year if you really want to go for it and definitely do not try and go for tomorrow. This is probably the biggest decision that you will make in your life and you need time to prepare for it. As saber said you are making a big investment and this will decide what you can become in future.

The final deadline is in 2 and a half months and I do not think that deciding on a course and which unis to choose as well as writing your personal statement can be properly done in time for this, also quite a lot of uni spaces would be taken at this time. I do not want to stress you out with my opinion on this but I also do not want to give a super positive outlook on it that will just cause this decision to be rushed and you make a bad choice.

Do not stress about it if you do decide to do this because truly you will just be entering university a year later but you will atleast have another A level year to know what interests you in your courses and know your strengths and time to look at what will interest you. Not only do you need to find a course that interests you but you need to find where it can lead for you and what universities that interest you offer.

It took me about half a year to come to a final decision on a course out of 5 and a few months on which universities to go to whilst writing my PS during that time (length of time was mostly due to open days and their spacing).

Also I really don't want to spoil it further but I want to tell you the truth to inform but, there will be essays. I can't say much about courses I don't do but you will get them at some point whether they are a small research or dissertation essay or a lab report but they will appear at some point, universities do offer services to help in writing essays and reports.

Do not stress yourself, talk to your teachers about how to approach this but remember that you need time to make this decision because there is lots to consider and it is a very important decision, university may not even be for you and you could go for an apprenticeship etc. as saber said.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.