Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should i take sociology / psychology / philosophy? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, so im in the process of applying to uni now and am really bogged down with whether i should take sociology / psychology / philosophy.. Im really interested in them all and quite equally so - except im a bit worried if psychology will require more aspects of science and math which i'm not so great in and don't take for A levels either (i am taking A levels english literature, history and business at the moment). would really help if any of you could give me advice or perhaps a suggestion from experience or anything really! thanks so much )

ReputationRep:
    I am in upper sixth at the moment and have applied to study philosophy, and I have friends who have applied for psychology and sociology. I believe that you can take two of these as a joint degree if that is something you are interested in.

Anyway, I study philosophy at the moment and I would be happy to give you a quick overview. It is split into three main areas: ethics, which looks at morality, what is good, how do we know what actions are good etc.; epistemology, which is the theory of knowledge, how do we know what we know, what is truth etc.; and lastly metaphysics, which is looking at reality, how many aspects are there to reality, how do we know the physical world exists, do we have a souls etc.

I can recommend a few books, a Very Short Introduction to Philosophy and Sophie's world give a an overview/history of philosophy as a subject. One book that raises ethical issues that I enjoyed reading is The Universe versus Alex Woods.

With psychology the science aspect I presume would depend on whether you applied to BSc or BA courses, but from friends who have studied psychology it is quite maths-y.

Studying philosophy at the moment, I do draw on area of sociology and psychology for my essays, if this is of any help!

I would be happy to answer any other questions, or if you want to tell me more I can give you more detailed suggestions. Also I still have the list of recommended books to read before I started my Pre U philosophy course so if you would like any more book recommendations feels free to ask
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.