Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is positive discrimination a good thing? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    All discrimination has negative implications for at least one party. In this case we're discriminating against perfectly competent applicants to give the impression of equality while achieving the exact opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rleah1998)
    I understand your point on my thread and I'm happy to debate with you- in my opinion, there is an unfortunate lack of women, social and racial minorities and disabled people working in STEM,diplomacy and upper management at the moment and until the workforce is more balanced and these minorities have been reassured enough to apply for these positions without the need of positive discrimination, then I think it is an unnecessary evil. But hopefully not necessary in the future. Hope that helped to clear up my point of view
    Why does the workforce need to be balanced? Surely given a fair applications process, there will naturally be more dominant groups. "Perfect" representation, in fact, would be indicative of the converse.

ReputationRep:
    Not all positive discrimination is bad.

EG: disabled car parking spaces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Not all positive discrimination is bad.

EG: disabled car parking spaces.
    But that's not what we're talking about. Making life easier for those with disabilities has nothing to do with using quotas above talent/ability.

ReputationRep:
    Race, gender, religion and sexuality should not factor into a selection process unless it is actually needed for the position. The demographics of a school or business aren't very important. It is cosmetic, and discriminating against innocent people in order to win diversity points is completely immoral and hypocritical.

Plus, it doesn't "correct" anything; it just screws people over and robs them of a fair chance. Given time, demographic inequalities will adjust themselves on their own if things are open to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    It's worse than negative discrimination imo

(Original post by Dandaman1)
    Given time, demographic inequalities will adjust themselves on their own if things are open to everyone.
    That's definitely not true - different groups of people are biologically different (statistically). E.g. men will always be dominant in both the top and bottom of most fields by ability. You could only get 50:50 representation (ignoring the other 70 or so genders) in e.g. CEOs and binmen with positive discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatter_2)
    But that's not what we're talking about. Making life easier for those with disabilities has nothing to do with using quotas above talent/ability.
    It's still positive discrimination.

Disabled people are given preferable treatment over non-disabled people.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe there is any such thing as positive discrimination. Because when people benefit from a discrimination, it just reinforces other more negative viewpoints. Say a green person is not arrested because the police don't want to seem racist, that discrimination is positive for the green man, but this act would just make the overall discrimination and racism worse, because then all the anti-green people will harp on about "Green people get off with everything"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    It's still positive discrimination.

Disabled people are given preferable treatment over non-disabled people.
    That's true, and I hope no one would object to helping those who need it more, but the similarities end there.

No responsibilty is given to disabled drivers (in work the best people for the job are needed) and there are no material differences between ethnicities (except tiny advantages with genetics, which are normally irrelevant) unlike disabilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Why does the workforce need to be balanced? Surely given a fair applications process, there will naturally be more dominant groups. "Perfect" representation, in fact, would be indicative of the converse.
    It is a fair question. Sadly though, application processes are rarely fair or balanced. And because society in general is stacked against minority groups e.g. low socio-economic, low education, poor housing etc etc, there is a self selecting bias where candidates will choose not to apply because their perception of the system is that it won't favour them.

Is positive discrimination the answer? I don't know. Such measures have been suggested to try and attract women into certain roles and industries. My wife is adamant that she would hate the idea of being choose because she was a woman rather than being the best candidate.

Do we need a balanced workforce? Absolutely. I am convinced that mixed teams that are well managed out perform any type of male only / female only / single ethnicity team. I am also convinced that the success of our nation is built on the fact we have allowed successive generations of immigrants to come here with their different ideas and ways of working - that is what has allowed us to thrive. By contrast, you see countries like Poland and Russia languishing. Any progress they have made has not been self made - it has been through foreign investment and processes or espionage.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.