Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Smartphone use falling amongst young people? Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Smartphone use is, according to the BBC, falling for young people. Whereas it's rising for the elderly.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41805801

The average use of smartphones for 16-24 year olds is now 3.8 hours.

What do you think about this? Are you a heavy user of your smartphone?

And finally, could you live without your phone? :afraid:
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Smartphone use is, according to the BBC, falling for young people. Whereas it's rising for the elderly.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41805801

The average use of smartphones for 16-24 year olds is now 3.8 hours.

What do you think about this? Are you a heavy user of your smartphone?

And finally, could you live without your phone? :afraid:
    I definitely couldn't live without my phone. I'm a bit surprised this has dropped too, especially as a lot of people use their phone to watch series on Netflix etc. as well as for social media and messaging purposes! Crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Just went a few days using a Motorola V3 as my iPhone broke and I quite enjoyed it :laugh: but I don’t think I could live without my iPhone. I’ve noticed people have started using their phones less, I started doing it about 3 years ago but it seems to have become somewhat of a trend lately to not use your phone much
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. Yet, I can walk out of my front door into town and see a lot of people glued to their phones, not watching where they're going. (and giving me dirty looks when they walk into me [/rant over] )
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilboBaggins)
    I definitely couldn't live without my phone. I'm a bit surprised this has dropped too, especially as a lot of people use their phone to watch series on Netflix etc. as well as for social media and messaging purposes! Crazy.
    Smartphones can do everything, there's no need for computers these days :lol: I thought the statistics were going to go up, not down! :laugh:

(Original post by Zxyn)
    Just went a few days using a Motorola V3 as my iPhone broke and I quite enjoyed it :laugh: but I don’t think I could live without my iPhone. I’ve noticed people have started using their phones less, I started doing it about 3 years ago but it seems to have become somewhat of a trend lately to not use your phone much
    I can't live without my phone :afraid:

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Interesting. Yet, I can walk out of my front door into town and see a lot of people glued to their phones, not watching where they're going. (and giving me dirty looks when they walk into me [/rant over] )
    The worst ones are when they text, walk and then cross the road not even looking for oncoming traffic. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    Smartphones can do everything, there's no need for computers these days :lol:
    I wouldn't like to type an essay on a smartphone.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    The worst ones are when they text, walk and then cross the road not even looking for oncoming traffic. :unimpressed:
    One of the European countries (not us!) are introducing traffic lights on the pavement so that people staring on their phones know when to cross the road. Utter madness.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm how interesting! I think that young people understand the ways communication has changed over the last 10 years, and they are adapting and forcing themselves to 'log off'. While older people are a few years behind in understanding this!

ReputationRep:
    I am quite surprised that the numbers are falling for young people because everywhere you go you see so many young people using their phones. Personally I could live without my phone, it isn't a necessity for daily life. So many people already live without phones, so I don't see why more people cannot do so. Some people will argue that smart phones will only continue to corrupt society, as there is so much abuse and bullying online due to availability of smart phones. However, smart phones are really useful but it all depends on the user and the phones purpose.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    One of the European countries (not us!) are introducing traffic lights on the pavement so that people staring on their phones know when to cross the road. Utter madness.
    Wow! That actually doesn't surprise me though. When they look down at their phones they're in a different world!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I use my phone a lot but that's only because I either play music on youtube or live stream games like csgo or sports e.g. rugby world cup now and do my work on the side so I don't just stare at my phone all the time.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite surprised that it's falling, my eight year old sister doesnt have a smartphone yet but i can hand her mine and she'll know exactly how to use it. I think older generations are more open to trying out technology than they were in the past.

ReputationRep:
    Smartphones can do everything, there's no need for computers these days :lol: I thought the statistics were going to go up, not down! :laugh:

I can't live without my phone :afraid:

Yes, the people that do that are the worst. Drivers get blamed for not stopping despite it not being their fault. People like that are negligent and cause accidents.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.