Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A week ago I had a clinical assessment where I had to administer an injection.
    I made some mistakes and I feel the examiner was slightly harsh too.

- I forgot to wash my hands prior to putting gloves on but did so after removing them.
    - I forgot to clean the vial/ampule before opening (something I didn't know you had to do but examiner made a big deal out of it so idk)
    - I walked to the sharps bin with a sharp needle in hand (closed of course), I realise how stupid this is but I thought as it was closed, it would be okay...
    - I swabbed the skin prior to injecting which I was told was bad practice and not to swab if not actually dirty visibly.

Are these mistakes unforgivable or could I still pass?

ReputationRep:
    ??
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acetylcholinee)
    A week ago I had a clinical assessment where I had to administer an injection.
    I made some mistakes and I feel the examiner was slightly harsh too.

- I forgot to wash my hands prior to putting gloves on but did so after removing them.
    - I forgot to clean the vial/ampule before opening (something I didn't know you had to do but examiner made a big deal out of it so idk)
    - I walked to the sharps bin with a sharp needle in hand (closed of course), I realise how stupid this is but I thought as it was closed, it would be okay...
    - I swabbed the skin prior to injecting which I was told was bad practice and not to swab if not actually dirty visibly.

Are these mistakes unforgivable or could I still pass?
    Its hard to say without knowing where you are in your course (I assume you're doing medicine as that is where you've posted) and how important this test is. Are you early on? If so then these are mistakes that you'll need to be setting right as you progress but probably not the end of the world. If you're fairly far on then you should be more used to doing the skill and thus not making quite so many mistakes.

I think had you done any of these individually you may have gotten away with it (although personal safety with sharps is often something they will fail you on- for your safety). But putting together it looks like you're not used to the skill and might not be seen as competent at this stage. But that isn't necessarily the end of the world.

Will there be an opportunity to retake? I think sometimes making these mistakes early on, means you won't make them again. However, you really need to drill in handwashing, it will be counted in any OSCE that you do.

??
    You need to have a little patience. I've closed your other thread and replied here. But remember most of the regular posters on here will be medical students or doctors who will be busy during working hours.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Its hard to say without knowing where you are in your course (I assume you're doing medicine as that is where you've posted) and how important this test is. Are you early on? If so then these are mistakes that you'll need to be setting right as you progress but probably not the end of the world. If you're fairly far on then you should be more used to doing the skill and thus not making quite so many mistakes.

I think had you done any of these individually you may have gotten away with it (although personal safety with sharps is often something they will fail you on- for your safety). But putting together it looks like you're not used to the skill and might not be seen as competent at this stage. But that isn't necessarily the end of the world.

Will there be an opportunity to retake? I think sometimes making these mistakes early on, means you won't make them again. However, you really need to drill in handwashing, it will be counted in any OSCE that you do.

You need to have a little patience. I've closed your other thread and replied here. But remember most of the regular posters on here will be medical students or doctors who will be busy during working hours.
    Thanks
    Sorry, I do apologise.
    And yes I'm in my pre-clinical years. I honestly didn't know the sharps thing, I thought as long as it's capped it's fine to walk to the bin with it in hand.
    And yes I recognise the importance of hand washing.

There will be an opportunity to resit but I guess I am just feeling very incompetent right now due to this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I do apologise.
    And yes I'm in my pre-clinical years. I honestly didn't know the sharps thing, I thought as long as it's capped it's fine to walk to the bin with it in hand.
    And yes I recognise the importance of hand washing.

There will be an opportunity to resit but I guess I am just feeling very incompetent right now due to this.
    Don’t worry. When you’re not used to doing things like this, there is always a steep learning curve. OSCEs especially as they always have to be to the letter and not necessarily what you (or you see others do) would do in practice.

Give yourself a break and just take it as a learning experience.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    :eyeball:

You're not incompetent, most of these are quite minor.

However, OSCEs are like driving tests - you have to do certain things in a very specific way and make sure the examiner sees you doing it in order to get the marks. That's a matter of technique and you will develop it as you progress through the course. Always remember to wash your hands though, pretty much as soon as you can and before touching the patient (even with gloves).
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    :eyeball:

You're not incompetent, most of these are quite minor.

However, OSCEs are like driving tests - you have to do certain things in a very specific way and make sure the examiner sees you doing it in order to get the marks. That's a matter of technique and you will develop it as you progress through the course. Always remember to wash your hands though, pretty much as soon as you can and before touching the patient (even with gloves).
    What is a OSCE?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.