Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In your opinion, which philosopher was or is closest to an objective truth, if such a thing exists?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that Icarus has been agreed to categorically represent getting close to objective truth. I thought that Icarus getting too close to
    the sun was supposed to represent over-ambition, or fascination with distant, powerful, things.

The sun as objective truth (the 'light' is a metaphor that I thought was Platonic instead. (But that doesn't mean that Plato was closest to objective truth himself).

A combination of Nietzsche and John Stuart Mill perhaps. People imagine that there are powerful people, and they grant that they are powerful by fearing them, or respecting them. But, when it suits them, people also turn against these powerful people, even if they are ultimately kind to them, because they have been told that democracy and free thinking is necessarily a good.

ReputationRep:
    Nagarjuna.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.