Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am an international student planning to study in the UK next year. I have slightly limited options (unis) to choose from (I am applying through an organisation that is helpsing me with the application, and they are only partners with some unis).
    I want to study Journalism, and can pick from these schools:
    Essex, Bangor, Derby, Huddersfield, Southampton Solent, Nortumbria, Coventry, Lincoln.
    If you were to pick 5 unis and list them from 1 - 5, 1 being the best one, which ones would you pick? (According to how good the Journalism course is, and also the uni in general)
    I would appreciate any help - especially from someone who studies Journalism/has some experience with it, because I am not really sure which unis to pick
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fialka)
    Hi,

I am an international student planning to study in the UK next year. I have slightly limited options (unis) to choose from (I am applying through an organisation that is helpsing me with the application, and they are only partners with some unis).
    I want to study Journalism, and can pick from these schools:
    Essex, Bangor, Derby, Huddersfield, Southampton Solent, Nortumbria, Coventry, Lincoln.
    If you were to pick 5 unis and list them from 1 - 5, 1 being the best one, which ones would you pick? (According to how good the Journalism course is, and also the uni in general)
    I would appreciate any help - especially from someone who studies Journalism/has some experience with it, because I am not really sure which unis to pick
    If you're using an agent that refuses to let you apply to universities then don't use an agent - they aren't working in your best interest but to maximise their profit.

It's perfectly possible to apply as an international student without an agent (and universities will be just as happy to make offers - if anything it's better for them because they wont be paying thousands to the agent in commission).
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Fialka;74354182],

Hi Fialka

Great to hear you want to study Journalism – it’s a very exciting career path!

Do you have a preference about where you would prefer to study in the UK? Many universities offer different experiences as they are located across the country. Some universities are located on a single campus, sometimes outside the city, which may be good for making friends and keeping everything close by. Others are located in a town / city centre and perhaps could provide more access to shops and nightlife.

You should also consider a university dependant on the course, and if you like the modules available.

I agree with PQ – it is possible to apply as an international applicant through your chosen university! If you wanted to discuss this option, we have an international recruitment team – you can email them at – [email protected]

Let me know if you would like any further information and good luck with your applications!
    �EȬ�m2
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi @Fialka

As University of Huddersfield said there's plenty to think about when it comes to choosing a university and a course.

Journalism offers students a great opportunity to build transferable skills which can set you up for a career in many different sectors. So you’ve made a good choice there!

I would normally suggest getting yourself to the universities for an open day… However, that might be slightly inconvenient for you being an international student. But wait… Most universities offer virtual tours which is a great way to get a feel for the university without actually being there.

Here’s a list from UCAS of all the universities who offer virtual tours with links to their website and as you mentioned you were considering Solent here is a link to our virtual tour.

If you’d like to know more about Journalism courses I can put you in touch with a current student who can give you the pros and cons of the different universities and the courses.

Thanks,

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.