Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wired or wireless headphones? Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    More high end devices are getting rid of the 3.5mm plug, not going to have a choice soon...
    The vast majority of devices (excluding certain phones) still support 3.5mm, and changing all of your audio equipment due to certain phone manufacturers isn't going to happen.

I would personally go wireless, with the option of also having a wired connection. Therefore, you can have a wired or wireless connection, depending on the location and the device you are using.

The best longevity, of course, would be with the wired option - as wireless device have a built in Li-Ion battery, which deteriorates over time/use. But if you want the option of wireless, then a wireless set (with wired option) is the best option.
    Of course, if you're not too fussed with wireless, then just get a decent set of wired headphones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    The vast majority of devices (excluding certain phones) still support 3.5mm, and changing all of your audio equipment due to certain phone manufacturers isn't going to happen.

I would personally go wireless, with the option of also having a wired connection. Therefore, you can have a wired or wireless connection, depending on the location and the device you are using.

The best longevity, of course, would be with the wired option - as wireless device have a built in Li-Ion battery, which deteriorates over time/use. But if you want the option of wireless, then a wireless set (with wired option) is the best option.
    Of course, if you're not too fussed with wireless, then just get a decent set of wired headphones.
    I know, I was being somewhat facetious, I know adaptors will be readily available for the foreseeable future, but the point made elsewhere in the thread is valid - when you're using these adaptors, you can't charge your phone. Until battery issues are sorted out, this will be a blocker for a lot of people.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I know, I was being somewhat facetious, I know adaptors will be readily available for the foreseeable future, but the point made elsewhere in the thread is valid - when you're using these adaptors, you can't charge your phone. Until battery issues are sorted out, this will be a blocker for a lot of people.
    I know all about this, which is why I wouldn't purchase a phone (especially a high end one!) which isn't compatible with all of my audio equipment.
    For example: £1000 for an iPhone X + however much to replace my surround sound speakers (cost £200) + however much to replace my Hi-Fi with a Bluetooth one (current one has a 3.5mm line in - original cost £100+) + any other equipment made obsolete by this = total outlay £1500+.
    A slightly older model of phone, or mid range (instead of high end) phone, with a 3.5mm port, would be better (i.e. iPhone 6S, original Google Pixel, HTC 10).

People need a choice between wired and wireless (since there are still lots of people using wired technologies for all of their audio equipment), hence my recommendation of a headset that can be used wirelessly, whilst also having a 3.5mm line connector for wired devices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spotify95)
    I know all about this, which is why I wouldn't purchase a phone (especially a high end one!) which isn't compatible with all of my audio equipment.
    For example: £1000 for an iPhone X + however much to replace my surround sound speakers (cost £200) + however much to replace my Hi-Fi with a Bluetooth one (current one has a 3.5mm line in - original cost £100+) + any other equipment made obsolete by this = total outlay £1500+.
    A slightly older model of phone, or mid range (instead of high end) phone, with a 3.5mm port, would be better (i.e. iPhone 6S, original Google Pixel, HTC 10).

People need a choice between wired and wireless (since there are still lots of people using wired technologies for all of their audio equipment), hence my recommendation of a headset that can be used wirelessly, whilst also having a 3.5mm line connector for wired devices.
    On the flipside, I believe the X comes with wireless charging, so in that case it isn't an issue...
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisN)
    What do you use? I keep twitching at buying some wireless ones but am not sure if they would be good...
    Hi Chris

Wireless headphones are capable of sounding excellent these days, but you'll be spending a decent chunk more than you would on wired pairs with the same sound quality.

What's your budget? Do you want in-ear, in-ear or over-ears headphones?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Hi Chris

Wireless headphones are capable of sounding excellent these days, but you'll be spending a decent chunk more than you would on wired pairs with the same sound quality.

What's your budget? Do you want in-ear, in-ear or over-ears headphones?
    Hi there!

Thanks everyone. Useful to hear the views. I have gone with an iPhone 8 which is what has got me thinking. I don’t really fancy spending 150 quid on AirPods though. I think I need little ones as I would just end up not carrying over ears. Something like the AirPod but cheaper I guess is what I am hunting for...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    I have wireless for everyday use, wireless bone conducting for running (meaning I can hear traffic) and a pair of wireless noise cancelling.
    Wireless is the way to Go!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    What do you use? I keep twitching at buying some wireless ones but am not sure if they would be good...
    I share your concerns with quality and practicality, but...

I got a pair of Beat Solo3 with my MacBook Pro as part of the student deal Apple was doing during the Summer and I have to say... I'm pretty impressed. The bass isn't as good as my wired headphones, which I expected - but they sound OK and they are certainly easier when working or walking around - no trailing wires!

I'd say go for a brand other than Beats, though. They cost a pretty penny and there's far better options out there for a similar price. I only use mine because they were free!

ReputationRep:
    Get the ones where they can be wireless and wired at the same time. So if you run out of battery you can still listen to the music but without the noise cancelling

ReputationRep:
    I use wired headphones at the minute, specifically the ones which came with my iPhone but I could really do with getting myself a pair of wireless ones since I have an iPhone 7 (no headphone jack :nopity:.) Trying to hold out though and wait until the Apple student deal returns so I can get a free pair of Beats with a MacBook!

ReputationRep:
    Wired or wireless doesn't make any difference to the quality of speaker used or the comfort of the design. It is simply two different ways of getting audio from the source (iPod, phone, etc) to the speakers.
    I've been using the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0 for quite a while now. They look, feel and sound amazing! Battery life? 18 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Thanks everyone. Useful to hear the views. I have gone with an iPhone 8 which is what has got me thinking. I don’t really fancy spending 150 quid on AirPods though. I think I need little ones as I would just end up not carrying over ears. Something like the AirPod but cheaper I guess is what I am hunting for...
    really depends on what you want them for .. just listening on the go or a little sport too ..

anyways .. I have way too many pairs of headphones of all types ... for a good, very good in fact wireless option these are really quite good value .. https://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?p=1388145

I use these when I am out and about and also have run a couple of 1/2 marathons with them .. always sound great and comfy as can be..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.