Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in my second year at uni and I'm struggling. On the surface, everything is going well- I thrive on my independence, have friends, am a member of the swim team and I enjoy all that. However I HATE my course. I don't really understand it and have no interests in the topics I'm studying. I was one of those people that did their A-levels then jumped straight to uni because I didn't know what else to do.

During my time at uni I have learned more about myself and my strengths and interests. There have been aspects of my course that I've enjoyed (a practical field course) but the remainder of the course is cooped up in a lab or lecture hall. I don't know what career I want (like not a clue, not even a bit) so finding motivation is really hard.

There are reasons to stay- the financial investment, housing contracts, I'm halfway through and currently don't have a backup. But on the other hand, why stay when I don't go to my lectures and I'm miserable doing this course? I know things aren't always easy but this has been a permanent rough patch since day 1! You have to draw the line. It seems like such a waste of money if I'm not going to graduate with the degree class I'm capable of because I have zero interest or motivation.

I don't really know where to seek advice about this sort of stuff. I don't feel like going to my personal tutor as it sounds like I'm whining (like 'oh I hate it but idk what else to do!', and my PT doesn't have the answers!). I want to sort my problem I'm just unsure of where to go from here.

Does anyone know any good websites or things that offer advice or anything like that?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by PollyParrot23)
    Hi, I'm in my second year at uni and I'm struggling. On the surface, everything is going well- I thrive on my independence, have friends, am a member of the swim team and I enjoy all that. However I HATE my course. I don't really understand it and have no interests in the topics I'm studying. I was one of those people that did their A-levels then jumped straight to uni because I didn't know what else to do.

During my time at uni I have learned more about myself and my strengths and interests. There have been aspects of my course that I've enjoyed (a practical field course) but the remainder of the course is cooped up in a lab or lecture hall. I don't know what career I want (like not a clue, not even a bit) so finding motivation is really hard.

There are reasons to stay- the financial investment, housing contracts, I'm halfway through and currently don't have a backup. But on the other hand, why stay when I don't go to my lectures and I'm miserable doing this course? I know things aren't always easy but this has been a permanent rough patch since day 1! You have to draw the line. It seems like such a waste of money if I'm not going to graduate with the degree class I'm capable of because I have zero interest or motivation.

I don't really know where to seek advice about this sort of stuff. I don't feel like going to my personal tutor as it sounds like I'm whining (like 'oh I hate it but idk what else to do!', and my PT doesn't have the answers!). I want to sort my problem I'm just unsure of where to go from here.

Does anyone know any good websites or things that offer advice or anything like that?
    You could go and speak to your unis careers team?

ReputationRep:
    I was exactly the same strating this year but I am glad I stuck with the course because you have invested way too much money at this point. Even if you dislike the degree, you can always go into another area of interest because you have great oveerlapping skills such as critical thinking and report writing that is good for any other field really.
    If you dropped out you would have nothing but debt. Stick with it and atleast you get the degree title

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.