The Student Room Group

Where to apply for a politics degree for 2018 entry?! help!

Hiya, my names vikki and im 18, currently on a gap year so i am applying a year later than my friends- already with my alevel grades sorted. ( i achieved AAA in politics, psychology and sociology) I have on my list to apply to at the moment Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sheffield and York. I am stuck between lancaster, ucl and birmingham for the fifth choice, i really need to apply soon so any advice helpful!!
Original post by vikkiii
Hiya, my names vikki and im 18, currently on a gap year so i am applying a year later than my friends- already with my alevel grades sorted. ( i achieved AAA in politics, psychology and sociology) I have on my list to apply to at the moment Glasgow, Edinburgh, Sheffield and York. I am stuck between lancaster, ucl and birmingham for the fifth choice, i really need to apply soon so any advice helpful!!

Hi @vikkiii

Wow they're some fantastic a level results! Well done :h:

I'd advise taking a look at the course content offered by Lancaster, UCL and Birmingham and see what most interests you and what is going to suit your longer term career.

What sort of career are you looking at going into if you don't mind me asking?

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep
Reply 2
thanks!! I have looked at them all and tbh they are all pretty similar, i know i want to do politics at uni but i dont really have any long term career plans thats the problem ! :frown:
Original post by vikkiii
thanks!! I have looked at them all and tbh they are all pretty similar, i know i want to do politics at uni but i dont really have any long term career plans thats the problem ! :frown:

I don't know anything about UCL or Birmingham, but I'm very familiar with Lancaster. One thing to consider there is that, in your first year, you'll study three subjects as part of their flexible study model. These can be similar or completely different, as I understand it. Are you happy doing this? Your answer should impact your decision.

Another thing to consider is the type of campus and the university itself. Lancaster is a campus university based outside of a small city, whereas Birmingham and UCL are slap-bang in the middle of large cities. Which would you prefer to live in?
I agree with @xBasedChris here @vikkiii.

Since you're going to be living in the city for the next 3 years it really should be something to think about. Where could you see yourself living?

Have you been to any open days? It could be worth visiting some to see what you think of the areas.

Matt :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending