Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate university but if i quit i am giving up my dream job. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! Can someone please help me! I'm studying Chinese and Spanish at Heriot Watt University. I really am hating uni life. I hate my classes, the teachers and I'm just not enjoying being here. I skip most of my classes because i cant bare to go to them. My dream job is an interpreter or translator and i think you mostly need a degree to go into translation, right? I absolutely love languages.. Its the only thing i want to do. I just wish i could teach myself them, or perhaps even do online courses or take private tutoring which would perhaps allow me to gain a qualification strong enough that language employers would accept. I really really want to drop out i hate it.. But i feel as if im giving up my whole future as i dont think there is any other way to go into language jobs without a degree? If anyone has any advice or personal stories please share. What could i do to get fluent in languages and become a translator if i drop out of uni?

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought of applying to another university?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Try changing to a different university, you could drop out now and reapply again at a different university for next year entry.
    If it is the university life aspect you dislike, then I would recommend a different university.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Emilymcc11)
    Hi everyone! Can someone please help me! I'm studying Chinese and Spanish at Heriot Watt University. I really am hating uni life. I hate my classes, the teachers and I'm just not enjoying being here. I skip most of my classes because i cant bare to go to them. My dream job is an interpreter or translator and i think you mostly need a degree to go into translation, right? I absolutely love languages.. Its the only thing i want to do. I just wish i could teach myself them, or perhaps even do online courses or take private tutoring which would perhaps allow me to gain a qualification strong enough that language employers would accept. I really really want to drop out i hate it.. But i feel as if im giving up my whole future as i dont think there is any other way to go into language jobs without a degree? If anyone has any advice or personal stories please share. What could i do to get fluent in languages and become a translator if i drop out of uni?
    Either stick it out and apply for a transfer or reapply for different uni and course for second year or as a fresh start.

ReputationRep:
    I really am hating uni life. I hate my classes, the teachers and I'm just not enjoying being here. I skip most of my classes because i cant bare to go to them.
    Why?

What about them doesn't work for you?

What have you tried doing?

ReputationRep:
    x
    I'd also like to know why :P It'll help more to know. And I'm worried about all these people saying they hate uni and their course, I don't get it. Hope I don't feel that way
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To begin with, a degree isn't required to become a translator or interpreter - it's simply a way of proving your proficiency in your target language(s). Living and working in a country speaking the target language for a number of years is likely to allow you to achieve comparable proficiency levels and with some additional testing will probably suffice.

However this isn't necessarily an easier problem, and it may be that the issues you are facing are deeper than merely a dissatisfaction with university. For example, if you're not enjoying things because you haven't connected with other people very much, this isn't going to just be an issue with the university. If you're fundamentally struggling with the language learning then it's possible that being an interpreter isn't a realistic goal. I'd recommend reflecting on exactly what it is you don't like about your course, and why you're avoiding lessons and anything to do with it.

On an aside...

(Original post by lukauu)
    I'd also like to know why :P It'll help more to know. And I'm worried about all these people saying they hate uni and their course, I don't get it. Hope I don't feel that way
    The number of people attending university has increased considerably over the last 20 years or so, and moreover the new government requirements to remain in education (or training) until the age of 18 has pushed many more who would otherwise not take A-levels and hence go to university to do so. They often find it doesn't meet their expectations and/or they weren't adequately prepared for university, and struggle academically and sometimes socially.

The issue being that university is not a "requirement" to get a reasonable job and live comfortably - however increasingly a "reasonably job" is viewed as "investment banking or bust" which is obviously fallacious, and "living comfortably" is being viewed not through one's own needs and wants but as how others perceive them. It's a fairly insidious issue and there isn't a clear cut answer to it.

However, in short more people going to university inevitably will lead to more being dissatisfied with it no matter what, while the increased proportion of such dissatisfaction is likely due the fact many go despite not particularly wanting or even needing to do so.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like the university is the problem. Whilst you are interested in the subject, you don't like the style of teaching. Have you thought about looking for other courses at other universities you could transfer to?

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure it is your dream job if you can’t stand the course?

If uni life is the problem, have you considered transferring somewhere closer to home and commuting?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)

The number of people attending university has increased considerably over the last 20 years or so, and moreover the new government requirements to remain in education (or training) until the age of 18 has pushed many more who would otherwise not take A-levels and hence go to university to do so. They often find it doesn't meet their expectations and/or they weren't adequately prepared for university, and struggle academically and sometimes socially.

The issue being that university is not a "requirement" to get a reasonable job and live comfortably - however increasingly a "reasonably job" is viewed as "investment banking or bust" which is obviously fallacious, and "living comfortably" is being viewed not through one's own needs and wants but as how others perceive them. It's a fairly insidious issue and there isn't a clear cut answer to it.

However, in short more people going to university inevitably will lead to more being dissatisfied with it no matter what, while the increased proportion of such dissatisfaction is likely due the fact many go despite not particularly wanting or even needing to do so.
    That makes sense. It's like people flooding into law and the majority doing the degree aren't actually suitable to be a lawyer I guess. I don't know why I asked, I'm the king of giving things up. Hopefully I won't feel this way in uni, but who knows.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    UEA, Swansea and Newcastle are all worth a look offering focused interpreting/translation degrees. It's worth doing some research to work out whether what they offer will actually resolve the problems you're having.

http://www.ciol.org.uk/
    http://www.nrpsi.org.uk/for-interpre...-register.html
    https://www.iti.org.uk/professional-...e-a-translator
    https://www.iti.org.uk/professional-...an-interpreter

Are all worth a read and contacting for advice - there's a number of options if you take a non languages degree (possibly with a year abroad) to take postgrad qualifications

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wing:))
    Have you thought of applying to another university?
    I like the university i am at. Also any others would be further away from home which i dont want.. Also this university offers the perfect course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OwlOfFire)
    Try changing to a different university, you could drop out now and reapply again at a different university for next year entry.
    If it is the university life aspect you dislike, then I would recommend a different university.
    No i like this university. It offers the perfect course for me and also any other university near me is even further away from home which i dont want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Why?

What about them doesn't work for you?

What have you tried doing?

They are boring i have no motivation to go to them.. The teachers are intimidating and strict and i get nervous if they ask me something as i usually dont know the answer.. I hate them

ReputationRep:
    They are boring i have no motivation to go to them.. The teachers are intimidating and strict and i get nervous if they ask me something as i usually dont know the answer.. I hate them
    You're the one who wants the dream job. What more motivation are you looking for?

What have you tried doing? Tried talking to your personal tutor? Used any of the avenues for support available to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    Are you sure it is your dream job if you can’t stand the course?
    Make no mistake: university, exams, school, are nothing like the jobs they 'prepare' you for.

Always get a chuckle out of very qualified and intelligent physicists, for example, forgetting basic laws or simple sums and asking the students, who have had them drilled into their heads, what they are again. The adult people simply don't have to remember it all, and every day, in real life like you do in education.

They also don't rush equations or have a 90 minute time limit in their work, but exams encourage and reward those that do. That is one of the reasons why millions are wasted on projects because someone didn't carry the 1 or use the right unit of measurement.

ReputationRep:
    My mum was a translator for years (I think years, not sure the length) and she doesn't have a degree. This was 20 years ago but might still be of some relevance. So there can be different pathways to the career you want.

ReputationRep:
    No i like this university. It offers the perfect course for me and also any other university near me is even further away from home which i dont want.
    If you don't get on with the lecturers then perhaps the course isn't "perfect" for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    My mum was a translator for years (I think years, not sure the length) and she doesn't have a degree. This was 20 years ago but might still be of some relevance. So there can be different pathways to the career you want.
    Was she really? Do you have any idea how she got into it? If you dont mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Was she really? Do you have any idea how she got into it? If you dont mind me asking?
    Yeah she really was and tbh I don't really know. She's from Finland so that might have helped seeing as she speaks Finnish and English. I'm guessing she just looked around for jobs where her ability to speak 2 languages got her somewhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.