debrahxxx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I'm doing A level chemistry and biology, and also health and social care BTEC. I was thinking about doing medicine but I was doing some research and most unis don't accept BTEC for a medical degree. Does it also apply to students who only do 1 BTEC subject? I highly doubt that I will ever consider doing medicine since it's a very challenging course but I want to know out of pure curiosity.
jamesj477
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
tbh i'd do maths instead, or at least physics. Medicine is incredibly competitive, and you are putting yourself at a disadvantage if you do a BTEC instead of an A Level, especially social care instead of maths
TheConfusedMedic
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by debrahxxx)
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I'm doing A level chemistry and biology, and also health and social care BTEC. I was thinking about doing medicine but I was doing some research and most unis don't accept BTEC for a medical degree. Does it also apply to students who only do 1 BTEC subject? I highly doubt that I will ever consider doing medicine since it's a very challenging course but I want to know out of pure curiosity.
I may be wrong here but I think you'll need a third a level - at least for most unis anyway? I'm sure you could pick up another A level now if your school allows you to, since you've only had half a term and should be able to catch up.
(Although not General Studies or Critical Thinking)
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They won't count the BTEC I'm afraid. You will need three A levels (biology and chemistry and another - doesn't have to be maths or physics).
Basiil17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ask the Unis - they will all have different policies on this
Avaia
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
your best bet is to Email the addmissions department at the uni you would like to go to and ask them directly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads