Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

I'm starting to get really anxious about my choices for biomedicine at uni. I'm currently on my gap year and therefore I received A-level results this summer.
    I got ABB in psychology, biology and chemistry.

I love Newcastle and Sheffield university but their entry requirements are AAB. Because of this, I emailed both institutes and both said that with these grades, I'd still be considered, even if I achieved a grade lower as these are achieved grades.

HOWEVER, I can't tell if I should still take the risk and waste the choices, but then again, I do want to go to them.

At the end of the day, it is my choice, but any help/advice/thoughts would be great!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshmallowStars)
    Hey guys!

I'm starting to get really anxious about my choices for biomedicine at uni. I'm currently on my gap year and therefore I received A-level results this summer.
    I got ABB in psychology, biology and chemistry.

I love Newcastle and Sheffield university but their entry requirements are AAB. Because of this, I emailed both institutes and both said that with these grades, I'd still be considered, even if I achieved a grade lower as these are achieved grades.

HOWEVER, I can't tell if I should still take the risk and waste the choices, but then again, I do want to go to them.

At the end of the day, it is my choice, but any help/advice/thoughts would be great!
    Hey MarshmallowStars

My advice would be that you have 5 choices, so as you have identified Newcastle and Sheffield as Universities you really would like to go to then go for it.

You've done the right thing in contacting them directly to ask whether your application would be considered and they haven't said no. Obviously it might be a risk as you don't have the exact grades they require so you may be relying on spaces being available after offers are given to applicants who meet the requirements.

Because this is slightly risky, I'd encourage you to think carefully about your remaining 3 choices. Research into universities that you have the grades they require so that you will have some certainty over what offers you may get. But also make sure that the other Universities you apply to are uni's you'd actually like to go to, there's no point in applying to a place that you would hate to go to just because you know you'll get an offer!

Like I said, you have 5 choices so the fact that you have identified two universities that you would really like to go to is not a bad thing. Make sure your personal statement acknowledges this and I’m sure you'll be fine

Let me know how you get on :five:

Chris - NTU Rep

Connect with NTU
    Keep up with our daily stories on Facebook.

Follow our Twitter for student news.

Explore our campuses with Instagram.

See what life at NTU is like on our Youtube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottingham Trent University)
    Hey MarshmallowStars

My advice would be that you have 5 choices, so as you have identified Newcastle and Sheffield as Universities you really would like to go to then go for it.

You've done the right thing in contacting them directly to ask whether your application would be considered and they haven't said no. Obviously it might be a risk as you don't have the exact grades they require so you may be relying on spaces being available after offers are given to applicants who meet the requirements.

Because this is slightly risky, I'd encourage you to think carefully about your remaining 3 choices. Research into universities that you have the grades they require so that you will have some certainty over what offers you may get. But also make sure that the other Universities you apply to are uni's you'd actually like to go to, there's no point in applying to a place that you would hate to go to just because you know you'll get an offer!

Like I said, you have 5 choices so the fact that you have identified two universities that you would really like to go to is not a bad thing. Make sure your personal statement acknowledges this and I’m sure you'll be fine

Let me know how you get on :five:

Chris - NTU Rep

Connect with NTU
    Keep up with our daily stories on Facebook.

Follow our Twitter for student news.

Explore our campuses with Instagram.

See what life at NTU is like on our Youtube.
    Thank you so much for this! This has helped my confidence on which unis I should apply to.
    Is it okay if you could clarify what you mean by making sure that my 'personal statement acknowledges' the riskier choices without name dropping the unis?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarshmallowStars)
    Thank you so much for this! This has helped my confidence on which unis I should apply to.
    Is it okay if you could clarify what you mean by making sure that my 'personal statement acknowledges' the riskier choices without name dropping the unis?
    You're welcome!

Of course! Sorry I was a bit vague.

As you said, you won't be able to name drop so just make sure you emphasise how passsionate you are about the subject and show that you have researched the course by perhaps mentioning one or two modules that you are most interested in.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions

Chris - NTU Rep

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.