Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Telegraph opens up black Cambridge student for barrage of online abuse Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    Sorry, where did gender come into this? And why do you think white males are being maligned here?
    I think you need to develop more awareness of what is happening in your environment and how this fits into the movement and why you have a fool like Trump as the most powerful man in the world.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalBeams)
    That is what the "request" should be, not a "demand" through racist and SJW shaming and malignment of educators as "Colonialists".

I am sure you have not done any research to back up this statement: "There is not a lack of books or resources for them to choose from, and there are plenty they don't currently use that would be of equal challenge to their students."

As for my point about a university in England, reality on the ground is that any university in any country would do its best to mainly study the history of its country especially if it is publicly funded.

If you go to any sane, well-run country, that is what you would get.
    It is a request, from everything I've seen of it, not a demand as you suggest.

I would argue that you don't need to do specific research to know that not all intellectually challenging books are written by white authors. Clearly there are works amongst a more diverse writer base that would present the same level of challenge, and that would be other avenues the university could use.

English isn't about studying the history of the country, however? It's about studying literature, which can have crossover with history, but is not the same thing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I am not against the introduction of diversity as long as it meets thoe aforementioned criteria. Nor am I saying introducing diversity would fail those criteria.

I am against the nonsense, racist, victimhood, SJW-crap approach employed in getting the change.
    You haven;t, however, provided any evidence to suggest it actually is nonsense?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to develop more awareness of what is happening in your environment and how this fits into the movement and why you have a fool like Trump as the most powerful man in the world.
    I am well aware of what is happening in my environment and why Trump was elected, fortunately.

ReputationRep:
    It is a request, from everything I've seen of it, not a demand as you suggest.
    Calumny is never a request.

It is a demand or arm-twisting.

Racising the race card insteead of "intellectual opportunity" card is calumny.

I would argue that you don't need to do specific research to know that not all intellectually challenging books are written by white authors. Clearly there are works amongst a more diverse writer base that would present the same level of challenge, and that would be other avenues the university could use.
    Well, I am pretty sure you don't know if 100% of what is being studied in Cambridge are white authors.

So no one is saying all intellectually challenging books are writtten by white authors.

The appropraite thing is for the people to have asked for a review of materials and then it would be left to the academics to decide if any material is worth introdusing and better than the current white material, not for these SJWs to demand they are replaced.

If the academics assessment shows none or a very few are worth it, then they should have the freedom, without fear or favour, to make or not make changes.

English isn't about studying the history of the country, however? It's about studying literature, which can have crossover with history, but is not the same thing.
    I know.

Same statement applies to literature.

I am sure it would be strange for a Danish university to have mostly Portuguese and German literature as the materials it teaches its students.

ReputationRep:
    I am well aware of what is happening in my environment and why Trump was elected, fortunately.
    Well, it is victimhood, race card, calumny, liberal misinformation and disinformation, and "blame the whites or white male" like this that caused it.

The SJW crap!

ReputationRep:
    The request I made of you is to highlight to me where I argued that government should force any university or has forced any university on what to teach.

Not to throw more misalignment or accusations and expect me to go on the defensive so as to distract from the fact that you have no argument against my original argument.

Now, lets go again, please highlight to me where I argued that government should force any university or has forced any university on what to teach.
    No, seriously; you said they should be 'corrected'. Who's going to correct them, and how?

ReputationRep:
    You haven;t, however, provided any evidence to suggest it actually is nonsense?
    What evidence do you require?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    No, seriously; you said they should be 'corrected'. Who's going to correct them, and how?
    Maybe you need to go back and re-read.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    What evidence do you require?
    Why is it nonsense to request more diversity, assuming it can still meet sufficient levels of difficulty for the students?

ReputationRep:
    At least she can now make a hella load of money from suing the Telegraph xD

ReputationRep:
    Why is it nonsense to request more diversity, assuming it can still meet sufficient levels of difficulty for the students?
    I never said it was nonsense to request diversity, I am sure I have made it clear that it is okay to request in several of my statements on this thread.

I said the approach employed to demand it was nonsense!

ReputationRep:
    I completely condemn any abuse she has faced. That is entirely unacceptable.

However, the framing of these issues in the media has double standards, in my opinion.

I'm not specifically talking about this case, but in general. If, for example, a black female (or black male, or gay male etc) says something stupid, and gets abuse, the media reporting always focuses on the abuse, and not their initial comments. Whereas if a white man says something stupid, and gets abuse, the media reporting focuses on his stupid comments, and doesn't focus on the subsequent abuse.

There was a black Cambridge student recently who posted arguably highly racist comments on Twitter (he said "all white people are racist"), and the student media coverage just skated over that, and focused on the backlash he faced...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is victimhood, race card, calumny, liberal misinformation and disinformation, and "blame the whites or white male" like this that caused it.

The SJW crap!
    https://www.polis.cam.ac.uk/Staff_an...dr-adam-branch is the person leading the "Decolonising the Curriculum Faculty Research Initiative" that this letter was part of

Why are you focusing in on 1 of 161 signatories of a letter that's part of a wider initiative and accusing her of "crybullying"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    https://www.polis.cam.ac.uk/Staff_an...dr-adam-branch is the person leading the "Decolonising the Curriculum Faculty Research Initiative" that this letter was part of

Why are you focusing in on 1 of 161 signatories of a letter that's part of a wider initiative and accusing her of "crybullying"?
    Okay.

Why do you say he is the one leading the initiative?

Was he also the one that penned the open letter 'Decolonising the English Faculty'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tian1Sky)
    Pretty impressive to make the same typo twice in two lines. And once again, it doesn’t matter what you prefer, “a curricula” is grammatically incorrect.

You hold a monopoly on being right about something subjective, alright then.

You’re right, you didn’t technically ask her to go to Africa, it was one of the options you suggested. Btw, I love your “clever” attempt to get people to call you racist for suggesting she go to Africa, so that you can then counter with something along the lines of “Buckingham is not in Africa, look at these SJW’s crying racism”.
    lol ikr this is all a game to Him/Her and i bet he's/She's having fun. I'm not even sure whether He/She cares about the actual issue being discussed..
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I completely condemn any abuse she has faced. That is entirely unacceptable.

However, the framing of these issues in the media has double standards, in my opinion.

I'm not specifically talking about this case, but in general. If, for example, a black female (or black male, or gay male etc) says something stupid, and gets abuse, the media reporting always focuses on the abuse, and not their initial comments. Whereas if a white man says something stupid, and gets abuse, the media reporting focuses on his stupid comments, and doesn't focus on the subsequent abuse.

There was a black Cambridge student recently who posted arguably highly racist comments on Twitter (he said "all white people are racist", and the student media coverage just skated over that, and focused on the backlash he faced...
    Exactly!!!

SJW nonsense.

Can anyone here tell me what happened when during the last geenral election campaign Theresa MAy joked TWICE on SEPARATE occassions about not wanting to see Jeremy Corbyn naked in negotiations with the EU?

Where was the outrage?

Imagine if it was Corbyn that said that about Theresa May, what would the outrage be like in the media? Calling him misogynist and feminist, "he is not fit to rule"?

SJW crap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil_mitchell)
    lol ikr this is all a game to Him/Her and i bet he's/She's having fun. I'm not even sure whether He/She cares about the actual issue being discussed..
    You want ot "enlighten" me?

It would always be a pleasure to get "enlightenment" from smart-arses like you.

ReputationRep:
    You want ot "enlighten" me?

It would always be a pleasure to get "enlightenment" from smart-arses like you.
    Where does it say I want to Enlighten you?

Please highlight where in my post i said i wanted to enlighten you.

I don't tolerate Strawmens, if you want to have a debate with me then you're going to have to follow my ground rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil_mitchell)
    Where does it say I want to Enlighten you?

Please highlight where in my post i said i wanted to enlighten you.

I don't tolerate Strawmens, if you want to have a debate with me then you're going to have to follow my ground rules.
    LOL you're calling ME a smart ass😂

Edit - This was supossed to be quoting your reply to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.